Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #35,131 of 42,765
Yeah but let's put it this way.. If the amp is not cheap, if it is a quality amp, the differences are subtle... I did an ab comparison beetween ifi idsd and audio gd nfb1 and it was impossible to find which one was playing... I dare anyone in this thread. Expecially with midfi hps.... If you use a senn 579 for example it will sound good from any source...

Using the same amplifier (docet cuffia amp) and the same cans (579) I compared the sound coming from three different dacs: CA DacMagic 100, Fiio x5 (as an usb dac) and a Grandinote Volta (7100£).
Absolutely the same sound.
Too bad I didn't have a pair of Audeze

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #35,132 of 42,765
M2yZmLN.png

CHORD ELECTRONICS ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE

b6vMZVr.png

cpjBYkA.jpg

Born out of our multi award-winning Hugo 2 FPGA technology, Qutest is a sleek new home system DAC at a great price. Combining Rob Watts’ digital design (with 750x the power of a conventional chip DAC), with a gorgeous new compact chassis design by John Franks, Qutest is the world’s most advanced compact DAC. Future-proof, with support for up 768kHz PCM and native DSD 512 files, Qutest can be used to instantly upgrade CD transports and players, streamers, computers, tablets, smartphones and headphones with a suitable headphone amplifier.

NrGQOhi.jpg

Click here to join the Head-Fi discussion ... or click here to be taken to the Chord Electronics website to learn more about Qutest

MUgtd3d.png

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #35,134 of 42,765
I saw the announcement and was delighted that the Qutest serves the purpose I wanted the Chord Mojo to, until I saw the price :frowning2:

Maybe, but a lot of work went into improving Hugo's performance (to create Hugo 2), and consequently, Hugo 2 operates at a higher level of performance than Mojo.

...and Qutest benefits from Hugo 2's improvements.

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #35,136 of 42,765
Will the Qutest handle DSD native on a mac too? (as oppose to Mojo's DoP)

I replied to you on the Qutest thread already, but basically DoP (DSD over PCM, not converted to PCM) still plays the original DSD but without drivers.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #35,137 of 42,765
Just to clear things up, as there are two terms for "native" DSD. DoP is native DSD, in that it is a protocol to transmit pure one bit native DSD. Native DSD is just the original DSD data completely unchanged.

But native (no italics on native) DSD transmission is an ASIO USB protocol where the native DSD is transmitted with only the DSD data - no DoP headers, no 0 bit packing. Since only the data is transmitted, it is much more efficient - and it is the only way to transmit DSD512 on USB.

Chord DAC's can receive both protocols: native ASIO for native DSD and DoP for native DSD. To transmit DSD512 you must use the ASIO drivers in native (i.e. not DoP) mode.

Yes I know it is confusing.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #35,139 of 42,765
Just to clear things up, as there are two terms for "native" DSD. DoP is native DSD, in that it is a protocol to transmit pure one bit native DSD. Native DSD is just the original DSD data completely unchanged.

But native (no italics on native) DSD transmission is an ASIO USB protocol where the native DSD is transmitted with only the DSD data - no DoP headers, no 0 bit packing. Since only the data is transmitted, it is much more efficient - and it is the only way to transmit DSD512 on USB.

Chord DAC's can receive both protocols: native ASIO for native DSD and DoP for native DSD. To transmit DSD512 you must use the ASIO drivers in native (i.e. not DoP) mode.

Yes I know it is confusing.

Thanks for this Rob! I have a problem with Mojo on a mac, where native DSD64 works great, via DoP, but DSD128 & 256 exhibit audio dropouts, not associated with CPU power. I know others have had the same issue.

Is this the reason the Qutest uses native (no italics on native) DSD transmission instead, which as you say is more efficient and requires ASIO drivers for windows and mac?

Regards

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #35,140 of 42,765
Hi Mojo Owners -

Quick question: I'm recently experiencing some problems pairing my Mojo with my new Laptop (Gigabyte Aero 14 - Win 10H). When I use Exclusive Mode in TIDAL, my computer automatically shuts down.

Any and all pointers are appreciated.
Best,
x

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #35,141 of 42,765
Hi Mojo Owners -

Quick question: I'm recently experiencing some problems pairing my Mojo with my new Laptop (Gigabyte Aero 14 - Win 10H). When I use Exclusive Mode in TIDAL, my computer automatically shuts down.

Any and all pointers are appreciated.
Best,
x
It's a Win 10 creators issue. Just download the creators driver update from Chord.

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #35,143 of 42,765
Glad to hear Chord, and your dealer(s) have taken good care of you.

Although it's not a night-&-day difference, it can be somewhat helpful to use a CCK with a right-angled microUSB plug, so as to minimise the amount of leverage exerted upon Mojos microUSB socket.

Any suggestions for a left- (preferred) or right-angled USB plug? I purchased a pair of angled adapters from Amazon (amzn.to/2DiDR9h) but would rather get a left-angled cable so the cable rests closer to the Mojo. I think I prefer left-angled as the extension lies short of the edge of the Mojo, but does cover the USB power connection. Still somewhat on the fence about which one I like better. Nevertheless, I'm on the hunt for an angled cable to swap out the adapter. Any recommendations?

IMG_1285.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #35,144 of 42,765
Rob Watts, why are you ignoring my question?

Does the Chord Qutest use native or DoP DSD transmission?

I have already answered it - Qutest will support native DSD using an ASIO driver, or DoP. The only way you can run DSD512 is via ASIO, and on Windows I use Foobar with Chords ASIO driver, and it works perfectly. That is how I tested the native mode and tested DSD512.
I have no experience of Mac at all, and I can't comment on that; but Chord tell me that ASIO does not work with iOS.

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #35,145 of 42,765
I just wanted to share this..... I was listening to the Beatles, Hey Jude, Germany 1976 (DSF), on the iphone via Onkyo HD Player app, over a phono lead to my car sterero, and the sound was really amazing. I dont listen to the beatles really, so it was one of those rarer moments that people talk about, where the music\performance was so tangible. Mojo rocks.

Is it worth spending any money on improving a 3.5 phono lead for listening in the car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back