Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 11, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #35,146 of 42,765
I have already answered it - Qutest will support native DSD using an ASIO driver, or DoP. The only way you can run DSD512 is via ASIO, and on Windows I use Foobar with Chords ASIO driver, and it works perfectly. That is how I tested the native mode and tested DSD512.
I have no experience of Mac at all, and I can't comment on that; but Chord tell me that ASIO does not work with iOS.

Ok so this is the first time I am being told the Qutest supports Native DSD using an ASIO driver on Windows only, and will likely use DoP on a mac like the Mojo, meaning the audio drop out problems will likely remain.

I asked on facebook but the answer was unclear,

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 14.07.43.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 14.07.58.png

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #35,147 of 42,765
No I already explained that the audio drop-outs when the source sends faulty data has been ameliorated over a year ago. All our DAC's are now no different to any other DAC in terms of treating DSD source drop-outs; plus you have the added benefit of no bangs pops and noises when DSD is changed by the app.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #35,148 of 42,765
No I already explained that the audio drop-outs when the source sends faulty data has been ameliorated over a year ago. All our DAC's are now no different to any other DAC in terms of treating DSD source drop-outs; plus you have the added benefit of no bangs pops and noises when DSD is changed by the app.

Ok so you are saying that this problem has been fixed over a year ago, meaning these dropouts are no longer an issue, but as the Chord Mojo came out before this point it does indeed have this problem with Mac and DSD128 & 256??

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #35,150 of 42,765
Oh - have you tried a restart of the lap-top and Mojo? And tried plugging into another USB port? Did you install the creators update over the top of the original driver? You need to install the original driver first, then install the creators update without deleting the older Chord driver...

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #35,151 of 42,765
Oh - have you tried a restart of the lap-top and Mojo? And tried plugging into another USB port? Did you install the creators update over the top of the original driver? You need to install the original driver first, then install the creators update without deleting the older Chord driver...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yup creators update installed after the original driver. Everything restarted. Trying again as I type this, nothing working... (Even tried new USB cables)

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #35,153 of 42,765
So I have spoken to Matt and he is certain it is not a creators driver issue; he suggests new USB cables (which you have tried) and try it on another USB source. If it fails on another USB source, then it needs going back for repair, so please contact your dealer.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #35,154 of 42,765
Any suggestions for a left- (preferred) or right-angled USB plug? I purchased a pair of angled adapters from Amazon (amzn.to/2DiDR9h) but would rather get a left-angled cable so the cable rests closer to the Mojo. I think I prefer left-angled as the extension lies short of the edge of the Mojo, but does cover the USB power connection. Still somewhat on the fence about which one I like better. Nevertheless, I'm on the hunt for an angled cable to swap out the adapter. Any recommendations?

Check the FAQ in post #3. There were a lot of posts about plugs/cables and Mojo two years ago, and links to the the most popular solutions were added to the FAQ.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #35,155 of 42,765
Folks, I'm really enjoying the Mojo with the new(ish) Beyerdynamic Amiron Home cans. Whether it's well-recorded Hip-Hop (Tupac's Greatest Hits, for instance), or almost any acoustic, classical, or jazz, the signature is like an HD650, only a bit more extended on both ends, much tighter bass, and very engaging full-mids. They are apparently an easier to drive, and less aggressive T90. They're also super comfy. With Hip-Hop I have a sort of brownish-yellow color on the volume, and when I go up to 96/24 or 192/24 classical, I can turn it up to royal blue. Otherwise, I haven't needed to go any higher and these cans are hopping. While the Mojo can get some of my other cans technically loud enough, it doesn't seem to have enough juice for the ones that typically need an amp. In this case the bass is solid, pumping, and reaches sooooo deep. The highs are a bit too sharp on some pop music (though I've just opened these and there's almost no burn-in), but on anything that isn't already sibilant in the recording, they are smooth as butter. Even some of my classical vocal music that is naturally sibilant was enjoyable, as the words themselves popped out, thanks to the extra extension up top. (It's extension, not a boost.)

I also like the Mojo with my Etymotics, but the highs are a bit too rolled off.... The Mojo sounds surprisingly good with my AKG 501s, but the bass isn't really felt with them, and the bottom octave of the piano is simply dead. The soundstage is so good though, that I still use them for some things. I have mixed feelings about my Beyer DT150s. They sounds great, but they aren't super-charged, and I feel they struggle to get a good grip on quiet classical.

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #35,156 of 42,765
So here is the question- what can I do to minimize the USB socket from being dislodged in the future?

Although it's not a night-&-day difference, it can be somewhat helpful to use a CCK with a right-angled microUSB plug, so as to minimise the amount of leverage exerted upon Mojos microUSB socket.

Any suggestions for a left- (preferred) or right-angled USB plug? I purchased a pair of angled adapters from Amazon (amzn.to/2DiDR9h) but would rather get a left-angled cable so the cable rests closer to the Mojo. I think I prefer left-angled as the extension lies short of the edge of the Mojo, but does cover the USB power connection. Still somewhat on the fence about which one I like better. Nevertheless, I'm on the hunt for an angled cable to swap out the adapter. Any recommendations?

No... unfortunately, you have exchanged one problem for another. The purpose of my suggesting a right-angled plug was to slightly reduce the amount of leverage likely to be exerted upon the microUSB socket.

However, by using an adapter to achieve the right-angle, you have massively increased the length of the rigid ('plug') part of your cable, so that it can now exert even more leverage than before (albeit in a twisting direction instead of a longitudinal direction).

In order to benefit from the right-angled approach (and, as I remarked previously, it's only moderate benefit, rather than 'night-&-day'), you'll need to obtain a cable that has a genuine right-angled plug on it, which will be much more compact than your adapter method (and thus will exert less leverage than the adapter method, because a compact right-engled plug has less 'moment').

As @miketise mentioned, I've posted a number of cable suggestions in post #3, some of which have right-angled plugs either as standard, or as a specifiable option.

I can no longer edit and update that post, but most of the cables suggested therein should still be available.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #35,158 of 42,765
Actually electronic music is great with a WTA filter, as the transients are unnaturally fast - so electronic dance music is extremely tight and fast, as the WTA filter reduces the transient timing error, so you appreciate the speed much more readily.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #35,159 of 42,765

Wow. Emotional experience seeing the picture of the Mojo.

I bought a Hugo 2 about a month ago, and it comes as an emotional shock to see the Mojo again.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #35,160 of 42,765
No... unfortunately, you have exchanged one problem for another. The purpose of my suggesting a right-angled plug was to slightly reduce the amount of leverage likely to be exerted upon the microUSB socket.

However, by using an adapter to achieve the right-angle, you have massively increased the length of the rigid ('plug') part of your cable, so that it can now exert even more leverage than before (albeit in a twisting direction instead of a longitudinal direction).

In order to benefit from the right-angled approach (and, as I remarked previously, it's only moderate benefit, rather than 'night-&-day'), you'll need to obtain a cable that has a genuine right-angled plug on it, which will be much more compact than your adapter method (and thus will exert less leverage than the adapter method, because a compact right-engled plug has less 'moment').

As @miketise mentioned, I've posted a number of cable suggestions in post #3, some of which have right-angled plugs either as standard, or as a specifiable option.

I can no longer edit and update that post, but most of the cables suggested therein should still be available.

Thanks for the additional guidance. I landed on the adapter after failed attempts of finding an angled cable (it actually wasn't that hard to find one...) However, I was unable to find anything under post #3 checking under "Cables & HOW TO CONNECT Mojo to your chosen device (i-Device, micro-USB, Sony, Co-axial, Optical, etc.)". Please let me know if there is a suggested cable. Absent that, I selected a this cable from Amazon and am sending back the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back