1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. Music Alchemist
    So what's with the intermittent alien noise glitch with DSD and the Mojo? How common is this issue? Is there a fix?

Yes, I didn't mean to imply there was something wrong with it; just that it follows normal principles in this respect.

Gah. I was gonna mention that one but ya beat me to it!

Personally I wouldn't bother with network players and music servers until later...like at least not until I have a Hugo 2.

To those who are unaware (not necessarily you), the Mojo (along with the Hugo, Hugo 2, Hugo TT, and DAVE) does not have a separate amp section like a conventional DAC/amp; instead, headphones connected to its headphone output are driven directly from the DAC's analog output stage.

For more info:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1830#post_10459450

As for IEMs that can be driven from it...you can drive nearly any headphone from it just fine. I can't imagine it not being able to drive an IEM unless it's an exotic electrostatic one that needs a specialized amp. So what you want to look into is which IEMs would suit your needs in terms of sound and other aspects.

Here's a good overview:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106

2. halloweenman

Sys Concept do a 1300-strands 24/192 cable, not sure if glass, that is inexpensive and guaranteed to work at 24/192. I've had excellent results with it.

3. GRUMPYOLDGUY

Okay, sorry. I was a little confused by the implication it would be any different with Mojo when this problem happens before it. 

4. Mojo ideas

5. GRUMPYOLDGUY

I don't like pre-DAC volume control implementations... so I wouldn't use Mojo directly with IEMs since you'd have to dial in about 75+ dB attenuation. This particularly sucks because the lower 12 or so bits are effectively dithered by analog noise. You'll want lots of clean attenuation in the path. 

6. AndrewH13

You tease John. I'm guessing it's not the name of my local Fish2go shop!

7. maxh22

So when all is said and done will the final product with module be called Hugo 2 2go or Hugo 2go?

8. almarti
    I love Mojo with my Ety ER4PT IEM.

9. miketlse

Has he gone fishing?

I was concerned that he had been banned, for taking the bait a few times too many (in spite of his normally calm nature). [​IMG]

10. miketlse
    The Mojo has good synergy with many IEMS, so it would be helpful if you can suggest a budget, and your musical preferences, in order to help members narrow down the list of recommendations for you. [​IMG]

11. miketlse
    If you hear 'intermittent alien noise glitch' it means that you are the chosen one. [​IMG]

12. Music Alchemist

I totally loled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. miketlse

Exactly;

14. sebbie2
    I have same issues with mojo.
    I tried iphone7, ipad air (onkyo)
    Mac mini and Macbook Pro Retina 2014 (core i7 2,8Ghz) with audirvana and other players

playing dsd128 and dsd256 have some stops/stutters. in random times.
    even if files are buffered.

I asked Chord about this issues, they said it's problem with cable.
    I tried different USB cables and finally bought Mojo Cable Pack from Chord - but problem still exists.

15. miketlse
    Have you checked the FAQ in post #3, specifically the section about connecting to idevices?
    I don't use idevices myself, but I have a nagging thought that some cables are limited to dsd128 or lower.