Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 18, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #29,356 of 42,765
  I do agree though it is crazy powerful!!! I was even using my LCD-2's last night and I only had it up to about 75%-80%...crazy!

The only way I've been able to get the Mojo to distort is by using heavy bass boosts with bass-heavy music at high volume with the HD 800.
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #29,359 of 42,765
I use Mojo as a desktop DAC mostly. In my experience the sound quality is in line, or above, with similarly priced full-sized desktop systems, and it is portable and tiny. I haven't heard Schiit's multibit offerings, but I do think Mojo sounds better than my Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2 did. Chord's other products are quite expensive, but I think Mojo is a bargain for what it is.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #29,360 of 42,765
  Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my Mojo and think it is a great bit of gear. But.

For STRICT desktop DAC use around the same price as the Mojo? Off the top of my head better options would be.

-Resonessence Labs Concero HD
-Schiit Bifrost MB
-Emotiva Stealth DC-1
-Metrum Acoustics Octave mk2 (if you can find one)
-Audiolab MDAC
-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 
-iFi Micro iDAC 2

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head around the same price, there are probably a few more I’ve forgotten. If you can spend a few hundred more, there are A LOT more options better suited for strict desktop use. No worrying about battery life, better/more robust USB connections, ease of use, and most importantly sound quality. With the Mojo, while it sounds awesome, you are also paying a premium for

a)The Chord name
b)A multi tool feature set
c)Battery

When you take those things away, you can get better desktop sound for the money.  

I have to add, I love to be able to take Mojo's "sound quality" with me, when I travel abroad 5-6 times a year. I did not try most of the DACs you mention (although read about them). Some of them however seem to be well over Mojo's price. I will have a chance to test iFi iDAC2 in a few days.

If I had said that, I might have been looking at a ban... But I'm glad someone said it. 

Chord isn't exactly the best when it comes to value. 

That might be true for Chord's other products, not for Mojo.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #29,364 of 42,765
Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my Mojo and think it is a great bit of gear. But.

For STRICT desktop DAC use around the same price as the Mojo? Off the top of my head better options would be.

-Resonessence Labs Concero HD
-Schiit Bifrost MB
-Emotiva Stealth DC-1
-Metrum Acoustics Octave mk2 (if you can find one)
-Audiolab MDAC
-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 
-iFi Micro iDAC 2

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head around the same price, there are probably a few more I’ve forgotten. If you can spend a few hundred more, there are A LOT more options better suited for strict desktop use. No worrying about battery life, better/more robust USB connections, ease of use, and most importantly sound quality. With the Mojo, while it sounds awesome, you are also paying a premium for

a)The Chord name
b)A multi tool feature set
c)Battery

When you take those things away, you can get better desktop sound for the money.  
You probably don't realise that Mojo despite its diminutive size packs more than five hundred times the data processing of those units. You might say essentially it's got a far bigger heart and brain than that of the larger bodied units your compairing it with.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #29,365 of 42,765
Without knowing component price, design/testing, manufacturing costs or number sold we have no idea on value from a monetry view.

Now having owned a few lower end DAC's I'd say the Dragonfly Red and likely even more DF black are excellent value.

Is the Mojo worth £230 more than the DFR. If money was main consideration then no, I'd still have the DFR. From a SQ point of view then to me the Mojo is worth the extra especially if needing extra power without an amp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #29,366 of 42,765
I tried to read up on the following but it left me confused... So here goes nothing:

1) Does it hurt the battery of the mojo to let it charged for longer periods of times?

2) Should the battery be completely empty before being charged again or would it be better to start charging once it is in the red?

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #29,367 of 42,765
1. No
2. No. But I always let these things run down low occassionally in case battery calibration goes off as can be the case with laptops ( ie not showing correct remaing charge level).

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #29,368 of 42,765

The only comment i would modify (for clarity), is that with the initial batches of the Mojo, Chord had no way of knowing just how popular it would be. So chord took the cautious approach, and half charged the Mojos, and then advised new owners that they needed a full 10 hour charge (just in case the Mojos had been on shop shelves for months, and the batteries were flat).
In reality, the initial batches of Mojos were bought by owners, as fast as they arrived at the dealers, so the batteries were still nearly half charged, so most people needed to charge for only say 4 hours.

Mojo is still selling well, so i expect most new owners still only need 4 hours charge to reach full charge.
The only exceptions are probably owners using chargers that change to trickle charge, once the battery gets near full charge.
beerchug.gif

As far as battery life goes, I think the Mojo is no different from other rechargeable items, your electric toothbrush let's say, which means that good battery hygiene dictates: always leave it plugged in to charge fully and always fully discharge batteries before starting the next recharge cycle.  This way the battery "memory" has the correct high- and low- markers and capacity (the difference) remains.  In truth though, this span continuously decreases in time - I know it because my toothbrush gets less and less service time over the years!

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #29,369 of 42,765
Without knowing component price, design/testing, manufacturing costs or number sold we have no idea on value from a monetry view.

Now having owned a few lower end DAC's I'd say the Dragonfly Red and likely even more DF black are excellent value.

Is the Mojo worth £230 more than the DFR. If money was main consideration then no, I'd still have the DFR. From a SQ point of view then to me the Mojo is worth the extra especially if needing extra power without an amp.

I think value for price is mainly a subjective thing, mostly depends on the thickness of one's wallet. I am not sure, if 'objective value' as such exists at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back