Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 18, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #29,341 of 42,765
I just got my Mojo yesterday and plugged in my SE846's. I heard an audible hiss. I thought this was suppose to have a super black background? My iPhone is seems better... WAT. :eek:   Otherwise it sounds amazing!

Not noticing any hiss with my Angies. What I am noticing is that I'm able to play at higher volumes than I could with my iPhone alone or through dragonfly without feeling it was getting spikey and uncomfortable. And it sounds very nice at my preferred lower volumes.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #29,342 of 42,765
  I just got my Mojo yesterday and plugged in my SE846's. I heard an audible hiss. I thought this was suppose to have a super black background? My iPhone is seems better... WAT. 
eek.gif
  Otherwise it sounds amazing!

SE846 sensitivity is an insane 134.45 dB SPL/1Vrms.... Audible noise floor is to be expected. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #29,343 of 42,765

Many of us use Mojo mainly as desktop DAC, including me. Might not be the most ideal for desktop use, but what other DAC can compete with Mojo's sound quality for £400? I have no problem using Mojo as desktop DAC at all.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my Mojo and think it is a great bit of gear. But.

For STRICT desktop DAC use around the same price as the Mojo? Off the top of my head better options would be.

-Resonessence Labs Concero HD
-Schiit Bifrost MB
-Emotiva Stealth DC-1
-Metrum Acoustics Octave mk2 (if you can find one)
-Audiolab MDAC
-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 
-iFi Micro iDAC 2

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head around the same price, there are probably a few more I’ve forgotten. If you can spend a few hundred more, there are A LOT more options better suited for strict desktop use. No worrying about battery life, better/more robust USB connections, ease of use, and most importantly sound quality. With the Mojo, while it sounds awesome, you are also paying a premium for

a)The Chord name
b)A multi tool feature set
c)Battery

When you take those things away, you can get better desktop sound for the money.  

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #29,344 of 42,765
  Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my Mojo and think it is a great bit of gear. But.

For STRICT desktop DAC use around the same price as the Mojo? Off the top of my head better options would be.

-Resonessence Labs Concero HD
-Schiit Bifrost MB
-Emotiva Stealth DC-1
-Metrum Acoustics Octave mk2 (if you can find one)
-Audiolab MDAC
-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 
-iFi Micro iDAC 2

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head around the same price, there are probably a few more I’ve forgotten. If you can spend a few hundred more, there are A LOT more options better suited for strict desktop use. No worrying about battery life, better/more robust USB connections, ease of use, and most importantly sound quality. With the Mojo, while it sounds awesome, you are also paying a premium for

a)The Chord name
b)A multi tool feature set
c)Battery

When you take those things away, you can get better desktop sound for the money.  

If I had said that, I might have been looking at a ban... But I'm glad someone said it. 

Chord isn't exactly the best when it comes to value. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #29,345 of 42,765
Partly cause its made in UK and we can't get away with paying £1/hr labour rates.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #29,348 of 42,765
Partly cause its made in UK and we can't get away with paying £1/hr labour rates.

Schiit is made in the US... where people who flip burgers are demanding $15/hr. 

And why not, US makes fabulous burgers :wink:

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #29,349 of 42,765
Once Trump gets his way lets see what Apple stuff cost if they have to make it in US over China

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #29,350 of 42,765
Once Trump gets his way lets see what Apple stuff cost if they have to make it in US over China

Hey the Hammer will fall soon.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #29,352 of 42,765
The Hammer will fall, and the wall will be built! LOL
ha but I mean the Off Topic will cause The Hammer to fall on you.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #29,353 of 42,765
@ufospls2, chord mojo is overpriced can't believe it. small size does not mean it should be cheap. there is price for technology too. none of these dacs come anywhere close to mojo in sq ( also measurements ) simply because mojo uses a lot more advance tech and you are getting high quality digital preamp free of cost. if a I have to spend my precious $600 it will be sq not the form factor. if you find micro USB weaker than USB B then use thinner micro USB cable which comes with phones . add few ferrite chokes still it will beat those desktop friendly USB B fed DACs. I find 7 to 8 hours play time more than sufficient for my daily use. after mojo is fully charged it can be kept plugged to this charger. did you use mojo with stereo amp and speakers ? I bet once you listen mojo in your speaker set up, there is no going back to these desktop friendly DACs .

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #29,355 of 42,765
Not noticing any hiss with my Angies. What I am noticing is that I'm able to play at higher volumes than I could with my iPhone alone or through dragonfly without feeling it was getting spikey and uncomfortable. And it sounds very nice at my preferred lower volumes.

Hmm interesting, must be because of the extreme sensitivity like @GRUMPYOLDGUY said. I do agree though it is crazy powerful!!! I was even using my LCD-2's last night and I only had it up to about 75%-80%...crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back