Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #29,221 of 42,765
Has anyone A/B'd the modimultibit against the mojo. i have the modi feeding an earmax pro tube amp and cannot decide whether to build a new mojo rig. if the sound is considerably different (not necessarily better) this would motivate me to get off my..........and start the new mojo rig for home use. my idea is to use an intona with b and o h6 cans. would a jitterbug do most of what the intona can do sonically speaking? thanks to all remember the modi is a multibit.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #29,222 of 42,765

Thanks for the feedback.

The initial posts about overheating Mojos, did seem to be from owners located in places where the ambient temperature was quite warm at the time (eg Dubai, Singapore, midwest US).

Since the benefits of standing the Mojo on edge, and charging the Mojo fully, were promoted on this thread, the reports about overheating have become rare, so those solutions seem to be proving generally effective.

I seem to be in the minority who use the Mojo in battery mode, but it does help me to avoid thermal issues during midsummer, when the temperature is 35 to 40C for a month or two. 
normal_smile%20.gif

The mojo standing on its side seemed to do the trick. When my mojo overheated, I was sure it was fully charge and it still overheated but when I let it stand on its side, it does not overheat anymore :) .

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #29,223 of 42,765
  Thanks for that, worked great but only for a few days .... as of yesterday, the Tidal app no longer recognizes the Mojo although its connected, powered up and playing perfectly with J River Media Center.  In fact, everything looks normal on the computer and nothing has changed in the setup since one day prior.  On Tidal's Settings panel, only system default appears and it is not even checked.  Below a message "No Output Devices Found" is shown.  Swapping out the Mojo and plugging in my trusty old Nuforce uDAC and everything is back to normal again, configured as you suggested but it lack indicator light so I can't be 100% that it is playing 24-96 but I believe so. Can you help again, please?

I have the same issue... The MQA update for the Windows app has a bug it seems for USB dacs. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #29,224 of 42,765

yes, you sound as though you know what you are doing regarding equalization, so in the short term your cheapest option is to equalise. Jazz on the DAVE thread champions equalization, and may have some equalization data that you could use.

We've actually talked via PM already.
biggrin.gif

I may just end up getting some basshead headphones for when I want really strong low frequency impact. I'm tempted to use part of a Walmart gift card to get a Skullcandy Crusher, which I have heard before. On the other hand, the JVC HA-SZ2000 (lauded as the ultimate basshead headphone) isn't too much more expensive.

I tried driving the HD 800 with the FiiO E11 Kilimanjaro. It distorted completely very quickly, whereas the Mojo can get louder than I'd ever want without any distortion.

Here's a good post on how powerful the Mojo really is:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-dac-amp-faq-in-3rd-post/6105#post_12125122

Based on my prior experience driving the HD 800 from the Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD and Sennheiser HDVD 800, I'd say its basic sound signature remained the same. I might prefer the Mojo alone, but can't say for sure without a direct comparison.

People talk about the HD 800 scaling with external amps, especially rather expensive ones, but I am very wary of this, considering what I know and have heard. The most likely scenario is simply that the fancy amps are altering the sound via coloration of some sort, rather than the massive available power (which is never used in the first place unless you increase the volume, and even then, you won't come close to its limit with something as sensitive as the HD 800) itself affecting the sound.

I get the feeling I should just stick with my EQ experiments rather than blowing through cash on amps that might slightly change the sound. Perhaps after I've reached a more ideal level of tweaking, I'll start experimenting with more amps.

You have 15,000 post and your asking people opinions from people with far less post than that.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #29,226 of 42,765
You have 15,000 post and your asking people opinions from people with far less post than that.

One can never test all equipment or know all equipment.

I have heard about half of good headphones ever made . Maybe 70% . I am really really curious to hear the remaining ones but don't have access to them so I also ask many silly questions and interpolate the answers.

About mojo. I could not get it to run in the showroom when I went to test it.

Simple as that. It did not start rendering music. Tried it + Mac , Android smartphone, tried all things I could think of. Don't know what I'm doing wrong or why, it simply didn't work for me.

Which is amazing since I heard Hugo and loved it to bits - I would totally want to hear Hugo 2 as soon as it is released .

Don't know why mojo is the only chord product I don't get along with ...

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #29,227 of 42,765
Mojo with Fostex TH-x00 = Unbelievable. I did not expect this little thing to drive them so well. Drives it so well. It just put a smile on my face. Thankyou, Chord. For pricing the mojo within reason. You guys could've easily sold this at a $1000. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #29,228 of 42,765
  ...You guys could've easily sold this at a $1000. 

I hadn't think once or twice, when buying it, but about 50-500 times.

IMHO - Yes, they could've sold it at at $1000 or $2000, but so many of us never would've consider or had a chance to try it. Even at $600 the general population of music lovers doesn't consider it.
My story - I love music before equipment, but Mojo intrigued me and I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did, but if it was $1000, oh well, I wouldn't own Mojo. May be it is 'only' $600, but it is still a Lexus, in car's terms. Dragonfly is something that a general population might be wiling to try, not Mojo.

All I'm saying, that people who've got one and love it are very lucky bastards :D Yes, you, all of you....just lucky.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #29,229 of 42,765
Not luck. We just had enough free money to justify it to ourselves.

I could afford a Hugo2 but wont be getting one as cant justify the want vs cost!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #29,231 of 42,765
  I hadn't think once or twice, when buying it, but about 50-500 times.

IMHO - Yes, they could've sold it at at $1000 or $2000, but so many of us never would've consider or had a chance to try it. Even at $600 the general population of music lovers doesn't consider it.
My story - I love music before equipment, but Mojo intrigued me and I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did, but if it was $1000, oh well, I wouldn't own Mojo. May be it is 'only' $600, but it is still a Lexus, in car's terms. Dragonfly is something that a general population might be wiling to try, not Mojo.

All I'm saying, that people who've got one and love it are very lucky bastards :D Yes, you, all of you....just lucky.

I did not say its 'cheap'. I said its within reason, for the unparalleled DAC tech it offers, along with a truckload of power, and all in a tiny transportable package. If it was $1000, I wouldn't have gotten one. I got the mojo because $550 is something I could save up. and yes if it was priced at a $1000 they would've sold like 20% of what they've sold.
But thats all hypothetical. Its just a terrific piece of kit. I'm glad I made this purchase. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #29,232 of 42,765
What version of Windows are you running?  I am an "insider" and am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) preview build 14986 (161202-1928).  

The reason I ask is because with this release Microsoft started pushing their USB Audio 2.0 class driver as the default setting, but I have manually switched back to the Mojo's proprietary driver.  As stated in the prior post, the Tidal app worked OK the first few days (although not perfect because it would intermittently lose the device with an error message popping up in the top right corner, forcing the user go back to Settings and re-selecting the Mojo.  Annoying, but at least it could be made to work.  Now there is no way to get the Tidal desktop app to even recognize the Mojo as it will not appear at all on the Settings.

But as soon as I unplug the Mojo and instead connect the back USB DAC (Nuforce Icon uDAC2 HP - which is driverless) everything is perfect.  Even the built-in speakers show up (High Definitio Audio Device) and can be configured.  The good news is that the crusty old Nuforce sounds really very good when driven by Tidal, both Master and HiFi selections are equally impressive.  Put the Mojo back in and it stops working again!

I have sent a problem report to the Tidal support people and will share whatever I find out

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #29,234 of 42,765

I did not say its 'cheap'. I said its within reason, for the unparalleled DAC tech it offers, along with a truckload of power, and all in a tiny transportable package. If it was $1000, I wouldn't have gotten one. I got the mojo because $550 is something I could save up. and yes if it was priced at a $1000 they would've sold like 20% of what they've sold.
But thats all hypothetical. Its just a terrific piece of kit. I'm glad I made this purchase. 

And another thing ....    

Although I haven't seen it mentioned, personally I wouldn't dream of taking the Hugo2 on the NYC subway.  

Or what if it you forget at Starbucks ... Worse than losing those new iPhone earbuds w/o a cord! 

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #29,235 of 42,765
And another thing ....    

Although I haven't seen it mentioned, personally I wouldn't dream of taking the Hugo2 on the NYC subway.  

Or what if it you forget at Starbucks ... Worse than losing those new iPhone earbuds w/o a cord! 
Hugo would be ok ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back