Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 16, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #29,236 of 42,765

I did not say its 'cheap'. I said its within reason, for the unparalleled DAC tech it offers, along with a truckload of power, and all in a tiny transportable package. If it was $1000, I wouldn't have gotten one. I got the mojo because $550 is something I could save up. and yes if it was priced at a $1000 they would've sold like 20% of what they've sold.
But thats all hypothetical. Its just a terrific piece of kit. I'm glad I made this purchase. 

And another thing ....    

Although I haven't seen it mentioned, personally I wouldn't dream of taking the Hugo2 on the NYC subway.  

Or what if it you forget at Starbucks ... Worse than losing those new iPhone earbuds w/o a cord! 

I doubt I would even take my Mojo out of the house.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #29,237 of 42,765
My Mojo is arriving tomorrow. I had hoped it would come today, but tomorrow's still good! Hope its better than the DFR.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #29,238 of 42,765
Quote:
  My Mojo is arriving tomorrow. I had hoped it would come today, but tomorrow's still good! Hope its better than the DFR.

I think you'll be happy with the improvements.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #29,239 of 42,765
Same here.

Are you getting the Tidal app for PC to work well with the Mojo?  On my Lenovo E520 (c:a 2011), the Mojo has dropped off the list of Output Devices and will no longer play MQA content.  My OS was originally Win 7 but has been upgraded to the latest preview of Win 10 and I suspect the USB Audio 2.0 driver is the culprit.  Any suggestions?  What is your setup?

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #29,240 of 42,765
  Are you getting Tidal to work well with the Mojo?  On my PC, the Mojo has dropped off the list of Output Devices and will no longer play MQA content.  My PC is Win 10 (latest preview) and I suspect the USB Audio 2.0 driver is the culprit.  Any suggestions?  What is your setup,?

No problems with the TIDAL app/MQA files working with my Mojo. I have a MacBook Air.

TIDAL has totally changed my perspective on music collection. I don't foresee myself buying physical media anymore, nor will I buy any additional hi res downloads.

I've been seduced by the possibilities of MQA streaming, and so far I'm loving it!

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #29,241 of 42,765

No problems with the TIDAL app/MQA files working with my Mojo. I have a MacBook Air.

TIDAL has totally changed my perspective on music collection. I don't foresee myself buying physical media anymore, nor will I buy any additional hi res downloads.

I've been seduced by the possibilities of MQA streaming, and so far I'm loving it!

Totally agree, that is what I was hoping for also.  Unfortunately, I've been frustrated as it doesn't seem to work as well on that old Wintel platform, mostly likely due to driver issues (which are of course non-existent with Apple).  Additionally, you potentially have the benefit of integrating with Audionirvana +3 which purportedly will allow playback of any MQA file you may have on the hard drive.  Maybe it’s finally time to make the switch to Apple? 

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #29,242 of 42,765
  Totally agree, that is what I was hoping for also.  Unfortunately, I've been frustrated as it doesn't seem to work as well on that old Wintel platform, mostly likely due to driver issues (which are of course non-existent with Apple).  Additionally, you potentially have the benefit of integrating with Audionirvana +3 which purportedly will allow playback of any MQA file you may have on the hard drive.  Maybe it’s finally time to make the switch to Apple? 

I'll be interested in the new Audirvana software, but from what I've read on its website, it will only do one unfolding.

I would think any PC driver issue would be resolved sometime soon ...

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #29,243 of 42,765

Or op out of the Windows insider program. Windows 10 is an ever evolving operating system and has it's fair share of random bugs and whatnot. I have no major issues with windows 10. Occasionally, if I unplug Mojo my motherboard onboard audio fails to be recognized. Fortunately, all it takes is a restart to fix this.

I recommend reinstalling the Chord drivers and rolling back to a public version of Windows 10. This should minimize your frustration with Tidal and Mojo.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #29,244 of 42,765
On the topic of price... I could have bought a Hugo TT, but that would have eaten up too much of my recent budget. The Mojo was affordable enough that I got it without much hesitation at all.

You have 15,000 post and your asking people opinions from people with far less post than that.

Post count is not relevant.

Also, which opinions did I ask about in the first place? I was sharing my thoughts and experiences. I don't even see any questions in the posts you quoted.

One can never test all equipment or know all equipment.

I have heard about half of good headphones ever made . Maybe 70% . I am really really curious to hear the remaining ones but don't have access to them so I also ask many silly questions and interpolate the answers.

About mojo. I could not get it to run in the showroom when I went to test it.

Simple as that. It did not start rendering music. Tried it + Mac , Android smartphone, tried all things I could think of. Don't know what I'm doing wrong or why, it simply didn't work for me.

Which is amazing since I heard Hugo and loved it to bits - I would totally want to hear Hugo 2 as soon as it is released .

Don't know why mojo is the only chord product I don't get along with ...

Since you've been a fan of Chord for a long time now, you should just buy the Mojo.
cool.gif

tongue_smile.gif

I doubt I would even take my Mojo out of the house.

Same here.

It's an insane value for sure...but I listen to such a diverse array of music it wouldn't have nearly all the content I'd want to listen to. I used to collect rare music. I doubt much of it would ever be available via any official streaming service. If I ever subscribed to TIDAL, for me it would be more of a bonus to discover new artists and such.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #29,245 of 42,765
How do you like your HD800? I'm waiting for Massdrop to release a $699 version (I can wish, can't I?)  
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #29,246 of 42,765
Hi guys,

I want to use iFi SPDIF ipurifier with coax input on mojo. As of now i'm using the optical spdif of the mojo but I'd prefer the coaxial input. Since the iFi product output is a "standard" RCA 75ohm coaxial plug, do you know any adapter/cable for FEMALE RCA 75ohm coaxial to 3.5mm ts jack 75ohm of the mojo?

Thanks in advance

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #29,248 of 42,765
  How do you like your HD800? I'm waiting for Massdrop to release a $699 version (I can wish, can't I?)  
biggrin.gif

I've touched upon all this in prior posts in this thread, but I'll summarize.

It is one of the most technically impressive headphones out there.

The level of resolution is mind-boggling. And this is actual detail being reproduced, not artificial detail. The more effectively I equalize it, the more of that natural detail is tapped into. There are so many things that aren't even audible on most other headphones that are plainly audible on these. It also has an extremely dry texture that is very interesting.

The literal size of the soundstage isn't really that different between circumaural open-back headphones. Even the HD 800 (along with the Abyss and HE1000) sound very small to me compared to, say, being on stage with instruments all around me...or even compared to cheap speakers. It still has the intimate presentation of a headphone, which I happen to prefer.

But the instrument separation and imaging within that soundstage is superb.

The tonal balance of the STAX SR-207 and even Koss KTXPRO1 is more neutral overall to my ears. The HD 800 is fairly close to neutral, but has aberrations that make it problematic at times. (In addition to the well-documented upper frequency resonance that can only be addressed with mods.)

I suspect the HD 800 will come out on top in every area once I'm able to tweak it enough: EQ for now, physical modifications soon enough, and eventually I may try exotic tube amps and the like. (Though at that point I would be inclined to spend more time testing other TOTL headphones, as well as compare TOTL amps to the DAVE alone.)

With my current EQ settings, I have already attained a much more balanced sound. And this is just a starting point. I'd say I'm maybe 20% of the way to perfection as far as EQ goes. At the same time, I am growing to appreciate the stock tuning.

One of my goals is to get more impact and dynamics out of it. EQ helps, but can only do so much. Under the right conditions, it can reportedly become one of the most dynamic and impactful headphones, unlike how it is in stock form.

I feel that the Mojo can drive the HD 800 about as well as much more powerful solid state amps, since I have driven the HD 800 from the 430HAD and HDVD 800 in the past and do not hear major deviations from its basic sound signature with the Mojo. Some say certain (very expensive) tube amps bring the HD 800 to a much higher level of performance. Some of these amps do not alter the frequency response or add harmonic distortion. It's something I'm curious to hear for myself someday.

It's available for under $1,000 now on Amazon, which is a nice drop from the original MSRP of $1,600. I'll assume the introduction of the HD 800 S is what drove down the price.

I would definitely only recommend the HD 800 to those who are serious about sound quality, can easily afford it, and are willing to put in the effort to tweak it to their liking. For something more plug-and-play, the HD 650 is a better all-rounder in stock form.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #29,249 of 42,765

I've touched upon all this in prior posts in this thread, but I'll summarize.

It is one of the most technically impressive headphones out there.

The level of resolution is mind-boggling. And this is actual detail being reproduced, not artificial detail. The more effectively I equalize it, the more of that natural detail is tapped into. There are so many things that aren't even audible on most other headphones that are easily audible on these. It also has an extremely dry texture that is very interesting.

The literal size of the soundstage isn't really that different between circumaural open-back headphones. Even the HD 800 (along with the Abyss and HE1000) sound very small to me compared to, say, being on stage with instruments all around me...or even compared to cheap speakers. It still has the intimate presentation of a headphone, which I happen to prefer.

But the instrument separation and imaging within that soundstage is superb.

The tonal balance of the STAX SR-207 and even Koss KTXPRO1 is more neutral overall to my ears. The HD 800 is fairly close to neutral, but has aberrations that make it problematic at times. (In addition to the well-documented upper frequency resonance that can only be addressed with mods.)

I suspect the HD 800 will come out on top in every area once I'm able to tweak it enough: EQ for now, physical modifications soon enough, and eventually I may try exotic tube amps and the like. (Though at that point I would be inclined to spend more time testing other TOTL headphones, as well as compare TOTL amps to the DAVE alone.)

With my current EQ settings, I have already attained a much more balanced sound. And this is just a starting point. I'd say I'm maybe 20% of the way to perfection as far as EQ goes. At the same time, I am growing to appreciate the stock tuning.

One of my goals is to get more impact and dynamics out of it. EQ helps, but can only do so much. Under the right conditions, it can reportedly become one of the most dynamic and impactful headphones, unlike how it is in stock form.

I feel that the Mojo can drive the HD 800 about as well as much more powerful solid state amps, since I have driven the HD 800 from the 430HAD and HDVD 800 in the past and do not hear major deviations from its basic sound signature with the Mojo. Some say certain (very expensive) tube amps bring the HD 800 to a much higher level of performance. Some of these amps do not alter the frequency response or add harmonic distortion. It's something I'm curious to hear for myself someday.

It's available for under $1,000 now on Amazon, which is a nice drop from the original MSRP of $1,600. I'll assume the introduction of the HD 800 S is what drove down the price.

I would definitely only recommend the HD 800 to those who are serious about sound quality, can easily afford it, and are willing to put in the effort to tweak it to their liking. For something more plug-and-play, the HD 650 is a better all-rounder in stock form.

Thank you for your summary. My next purchase is a Hugo 2 ... unless Massdrop comes through with a well priced drop. One day, though, I will own a pair of these.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #29,250 of 42,765
  Thank you for your summary. My next purchase is a Hugo 2 ... unless Massdrop comes through with a well priced drop. One day, though, I will own a pair of these.

Which headphone upgrades do you have planned for around that time? (Just curious.) The Hugo 2 is starting to get into pretty high-end territory, after all. (Not that you haven't already crossed that line, what with Astell&Kern.)

I've seen a few people collect Chord DACs, but I may just stick with the Mojo until I can graduate to the Blu Mk. 2 & DAVE. Perhaps by that time there will be a Chord DAC as good as or better than both of them combined, so I won't have to buy two separate units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back