Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 23, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #26,341 of 42,765
I finished charging my Mojo so I took a closer look on all sides and there is what looks like a blocky QR code with a number beneath it that sits between the headphone outputs. It does not match the serial number.

I've never see this in any of the photos of the Mojo. Anybody have an idea what this is?

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #26,342 of 42,765
  I finished charging my Mojo so I took a closer look on all sides and there is what looks like a blocky QR code with a number beneath it that sits between the headphone outputs. It does not match the serial number.

I've never see this in any of the photos of the Mojo. Anybody have an idea what this is?

Is it a sticker or is it permanently laser ablated on Mojos casing?

Any chance you could post a pic, please?

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #26,343 of 42,765

It's not a sticker, definitely imprinted on the chassis. I can take a picture tomorrow and post it. So, it sounds like this is an unusual situation?

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #26,344 of 42,765
There were a couple others who recently posted they just got new Mojos ... it would be interesting to hear whether they have the same imprinting.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #26,345 of 42,765

It's not a sticker, definitely imprinted on the chassis. I can take a picture tomorrow and post it. So, it sounds like this is an unusual situation?

All curious now. Can't wait to see picture.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #26,348 of 42,765
  I've had mine a week. Got it from the UK. Nothing like that.

Thank you for replying.

The imprint is kind of ugly, don't know why Chord would do this.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #26,349 of 42,765

Thank you for replying.

The imprint is kind of ugly, don't know why Chord would do this.

You could have a fake product or something. Did you buy it from an authorized retailer?

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #26,350 of 42,765

You could have a fake product or something. Did you buy it from an authorized retailer?

Yes, FatWyre off of Amazon. I thought it might be a fake too, especially if Chord sources its parts from China. But why would you identify your fake as a fake?

I think I know what it is: it's like the golden ticket in Willy Wonka. I have a special Mojo, and for being so lucky, Chord is giving me a Dave! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #26,351 of 42,765

Yes, FatWyre off of Amazon. I thought it might be a fake too, unless Chord's sources its parts from China. But why would you identify your fake as a fake?

I think I know what it is: it's like the golden ticket in Willy Wonka. I have a special Mojo, and for being so lucky, Chord is giving me a Dave! 
biggrin.gif

Just call Chord Customer care and confirm the Serial no. whether it exists in their database and sold to the same seller which you have bought from !
Anyways Amazon guarantee is there, no need to worry !

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #26,352 of 42,765
  Yes of course @Mython. However it doesn't describe what state the Mojo is in does it? Playing, off, on but not playing.

He is talking about when there is no net charge on the battery. I am talking about when the battery level has dropped and when it needs a bit of charge. (While charging and playing, from a full battery.)

To be honest though I have probably over looked a simple principle of electronics and should know better.

To understand it better, let's assume Mojo is off and charging.

Now the charger has two modes of normal operation - constant current, which is set to 330 mA, and constant voltage which is set to 8.200 V. Now when the non charging battery battery voltage is less than 8.200 V, then the charger supplies a constant current. But when the non charging battery voltage gets close to 8.200 V, then the charger switches mode to constant voltage at 8.200 V. The current that is charging the battery then slowly falls from the initial 330mA, to zero - its in the trickle charge mode now. Eventually, the non charging battery voltage hits exactly 8.200 V, the charger is in constant voltage mode of 8.200 V, no current now flows into the battery, and the charger switches off automatically. When the battery voltage falls to 8.0 volts, then the charger will return to charging. Tip - if you want to force the charger to top up Mojo's battery to 8.200 V then removing the charge USB, wait 5 seconds, reattach, and the charger will top it up to 8.200 V.

Now imagine that Mojo is on at the same time as it is charging. In this case, the battery will continue to charge until it gets to 8.200 V, and the charger is set to voltage mode and gives 8.200 V too; so no current flows into or out of the battery; but Mojo itself is drawing 180 mA of DC current, and this will simply come from the charger - so the charger will supply the needed 180 mA for Mojo. It will do this for ever, and it won't switch off. This is intended, as it means that the battery is effectively not being used to supply the bulk of the current, won't charge or discharge, is held at a safe level, and will operate like this for a very long time.

Now we have been talking about DC currents, and this is indeed the vast bulk of the current. But what about dynamic currents and noise? Because the output impedance of the battery is much lower than the charger, then the noise of the charger is reduced; also dynamic currents still comes from the battery. So running in this mode ensures the best of both worlds - low RF and audio band noise from the battery, large dynamic currents available, and low PSU impedance too - but without the worry of the battery wearing out from charge and discharge cycles.

I hope this clarifies.

Rob 

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #26,353 of 42,765
Dear all,
I recently got my Ultimate Ears EU-18 and am now looking for a good way to play music on the go. Not sure wether to get the Chord Mojo and use it with my iphone 6s or the Onkyo-DP-X1b as a designated device.
Which one would produce the better sound? Where would be the advantages and disadvantages? I would mostly plan on using it with Tidal (Offline) and some high res files.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #26,354 of 42,765
Dear all,
I recently got my Ultimate Ears EU-18 and am now looking for a good way to play music on the go. Not sure wether to get the Chord Mojo and use it with my iphone 6s or the Onkyo-DP-X1b as a designated device.
Which one would produce the better sound? Where would be the advantages and disadvantages? I would mostly plan on using it with Tidal (Offline) and some high res files.
Hugo or Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back