1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. antz123
    @warrior1975

Thank you, Yes as awesome it feels and I might say Stacking doesnt matter, practicality and portability of the same on a daily basis might be a big pain. I wont deny what you said. Just the world of DAP is equally confusing. :D , dont think I can buy new device every other year, thus want to be future proof.

2. Mojo ideas
    Let's just say that I think if we've got this right the new product will put a small bulge in your pocket

Delayeed likes this.
  3. Bengkia369

Sounds like a big hint something great is coming out - a Mojo DAP module!

4. Delayeed
    Oh gosh I'm already starting to feel it [​IMG]

5. ThomasHK
    Please have streaming... Please have streaming... Please have streaming...

Roscoeiii and leaky74 like this.
  6. Rob Watts

Sure, noise floor modulation is easy to measure with the right test equipment (test equipment has its own noise floor modulation too). Simply run it with no signal, measure the noise floor, run the output at say 2.5v and you will see the noise floor rise using an FFT.

So here is the noise floor modulation for Mojo:

Mojo2.5v300noisemod.png

So red is no signal, blue is with 2.5v RMS. Why do I use 2.5v RMS? Because if it is higher than 2.5v the APX555 test equipment will give poorer measured performance. Mojo's performance is actually a challenge for most test gear, and you need state of the art measuring equipment to get accurate results. Now with normal DAC's, the noise floor will rise with the signal itself, so instead of it being constant at -175dB, it will rise to say -150dB.

Unfortunately the ear/brain is very sensitive to this issue - noise floor modulation makes things sound bright, hard and aggressive. But actually we can hear levels well below the measuring limits of the best test gear; I have had digital FFT's with noise floor of -200 dB modulating to -190dB - something you would never be able to measure as it would be swamped by analogue noise - but removing the noise floor modulation results in the SQ becoming warmer and smoother.

Rob 

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    ThomasHK likes this.
  7. STR-1
    I don't know how long the offer has been on their website but I see http://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk are giving a free Mojo case with every Mojo ordered.

8. ThomasHK

Apologies if this is a stupid question but how do you distinguish this from harmonic distortion? The peaks seen in the fft are all harmonically related to the test signal. Is it because of the magnitude of the harmonics not going down as a function of frequency or are there harmonics below the fundamental that would indicate modulation?

9. Mimouille
    Hey if anyone needs a stack to pair with the Mojo, check my signature, I have the AK100 mk2 plus sysconcept.

10. willowbrook
    So I want to charge and play at the same time without using battery like a desktop dac/amp. I do not want to use the battery and let the mojo draw current only from the power supply. Does it matter if I plug the power source before turning it on or plugging it in after turning it on?

11. GreenBow

Please have another model without streaming, so we that don't stream need not pay for streaming('s) implementation. Please!

12. SteveOliver

I do option 4 all the time, sounds great to me and a lot cheaper than the Sonore options.

I'm using DietPi on the Raspberry Pi.

13. Mython Contributor

You cannot completely avoid using Mojos battery. As John Franks has remarked, there is a slight net drain on the battery, even whilst plugged-in.

Please see the discussion in the section of post #3, entitled  'Battery & Charging'  /  'What happens when you charge & listen at the same time?'

Also, Rob has been good enough to provide me with additional detail on this matter, today (which I am also adding to the above section in post #3, but will share here):

Thanks for clarifying, Rob.

xtr4 likes this.
  14. Mython Contributor

Quote:

Just to follow-up on this, I asked Rob and he's confirmed, which I've now added to post #3 under 'Battery & Charging' \ 'Does it do any damage if one inadvertently puts power into the microUSB data port?'

xtr4 likes this.
  15. willowbrook
    Thanks, so basically turn the mojo on and then plug in = trickle charge mode = no timer. To reset the timer, plug it again. I guess it's just like a phone using battery as main source while charger charges the battery constantly. I don't know if draining battery completely-->charging or trickle charging is better.