Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 18, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #22,876 of 42,765
If you feel so abused, don't buy another iPhone and don't upgrade to the latest iOS version. It is your choice. FWIW, the Lavricable cable works fine connecting my new iPhone 7 to my Mojo. Guess they just singled you out to "stitch up". I just plugged it in and listened to the music. No thought required.

I'll keep the cable for later then. For now I'll use the mojo accessory pack when it arrives with the CCK.
Love hate relationships are hard to pull out of. I'll stay with my abusive 'partner' as I love the 6S+ too much to split up.
I won't be getting the 7 but no doubt it will be the 7S+ or whatever is next

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #22,877 of 42,765
There was talk recently of playing tacks with sounds that seem to come from far away. Then need to take headphones off to check.

Anyway just now played track called The Pulsing Cave, from the album The Chronicle of the Blacksword, by Hawkwind. 

Playing on desktop speakers using Mojo. At the start of the track there is a pulsing and I was looking around to see where it was coming from. Even though the speakers are right in front of me. It sounded like it was coming from almost directly left of me. Was moving to check. Eventually, yes, it's coming from the speaker.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #22,878 of 42,765
Could someone tell me how good the DAC chip inside the audio interface RME Babyface's headphone-out is? What rating might you give it, if Mojo were to get 7 out 10?

Looking the specs of the RME Babyface, if the Mojo is a 7 then the baby face is a 2. Seriously, not in the same class or comparable. You can get much better devices with better specs than the RME Babyface unless you need its special mixing features. Basically it's a very entry level mixing tool. Mojo is a very sophisticated listening enjoyment tool.

Edit: I'd personally give the Mojo an 8-9 overall (10 given the price), not a 7.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #22,879 of 42,765
Looking the specs of the RME Babyface, if the Mojo is a 7 then the baby face is a 2. Seriously, not in the same class or comparable. You can get much better devices with better specs than the RME Babyface unless you need its special mixing features. Basically it's a very entry level mixing tool. Mojo is a very sophisticated listening enjoyment tool.

This. Interfaces have the money used on inputs and outputs and preamps and stuff like that. While something like a Chord Mojo lacks some of these things you might need in a studio, the money is put directly on quality sound and headphone driving power.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #22,880 of 42,765
@Subhakar
I have used Babyface in the past. It is not even close to mojo in terms of listening. In fact I would not recommend it for headphone amp use and don't see many people trying so, since it is intended as a pro audio interface,  so what you are really paying for is the input stage, mic preamps, MIDI, etc... the part of the device you intend to use is more or less an afterthought compared to the rest of these.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #22,881 of 42,765
Can the Mojo be used as a stand alone amp if paired with the Questyle QP1R.?

So what I am looking for is a very high quality small portable amp to add to the QP1R as a stack for listening on the road to help power the HEK. The line out of the QP1R is optical so the input to the amp needs an optical line in feature. Thanks for suggestions.

It seems you're a bit confused as to what does what. Breaking it down, you have a digital file (sampled data) that represents the analogue data (continuous data) of the original recording. The DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) takes that sampled data and converts it to a continuous analogue signal to feed an amp. The amp amplifies the signal to drive your headphones.

If your device has a line-out then you are using the DAC in the source device and sending the already converted analogue signal to another device's amp. If you are sending a signal with the digital output (optical in this case) then you are sending a digital signal to another device's DAC to convert to analogue. In the end you must send an analogue signal to the headphones.

When using the QP1R as a source (bypassing the DAC and amp on the QP1R) all it is doing is decoding the file format and sending the digital bitstream to the Mojo over optical. The Mojo must be input a digital signal. That's the whole point of the Mojo is the DAC. The output of the Mojo is designed in such a way that it is tied directly to the DAC, and does not have a separate built in amplifier. The headphone out is basically the DAC's line-out. You can not use the 'amp' in the Mojo because there isn't one, and you can not feed the Mojo an analogue signal from another devices' line-out.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #22,882 of 42,765
It seems you're a bit confused as to what does what. Breaking it down, you have a digital file (sampled data) that represents the analogue data (continuous data) of the original recording. The DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) takes that sampled data and converts it to a continuous analogue signal to feed an amp. The amp amplifies the signal to drive your headphones.

If your device has a line-out then you are using the DAC in the source device and sending the already converted analogue signal to another device's amp. If you are sending a signal with the digital output (optical in this case) then you are sending a digital signal to another device's DAC to convert to analogue. In the end you must send an analogue signal to the headphones.

When using the QP1R as a source (bypassing the DAC and amp on the QP1R) all it is doing is decoding the file format and sending the digital bitstream to the Mojo over optical. The Mojo must be input a digital signal. That's the whole point of the Mojo is the DAC. The output of the Mojo is designed in such a way that it is tied directly to the DAC, and does not have a separate built in amplifier. The headphone out is basically the DAC's line-out. You can not use the 'amp' in the Mojo because there isn't one, and you can not feed the Mojo an analogue signal from another devices' line-out.

Great explanation Craig to anyone new to DAP workings.

Funny enough, I've not even tried connecting my QP1R to my Mojo. It's the one DAP I've heard that I really like as a single package. It's bright exciting sound the perfect contrast to the Mojo's warmer detailed sound. Now able to pair iems to separate units for synergy to my liking. Katana's for Mojo!

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #22,884 of 42,765
Great explanation Craig to anyone new to DAP workings.

Funny enough, I've not even tried connecting my QP1R to my Mojo. It's the one DAP I've heard that I really like as a single package. It's bright exciting sound the perfect contrast to the Mojo's warmer detailed sound. Now able to pair iems to separate units for synergy to my liking. Katana's for Mojo!

Hey, thanks Andrew. Earlier in the Mojo thread some have said that the optical out of the QP1R didn't sound as good as other sources. I'd be interested in your thoughts about it, just out of curiosity.

/OT

I had my finger on the buy button many times for the QP1R but couldn't pull the trigger. I opened the FW with the FiiO tools and it's basically the exact same FW layout as the FiiO wheel based DAPs (tailored for the QP1R of course). I was going to grab one and do a custom theme, but then Questyle basically said that would kill the warranty so that squashed that idea, lol.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #22,885 of 42,765
Am i able to use this as a stand along dac? I want to use it for portable use but then also use it as a desktop dac. computer - mojo - wa6. is that possible?

Yes. :)

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #22,888 of 42,765
Hey, thanks Andrew. Earlier in the Mojo thread some have said that the optical out of the QP1R didn't sound as good as other sources. I'd be interested in your thoughts about it, just out of curiosity.

/OT

I had my finger on the buy button many times for the QP1R but couldn't pull the trigger. I opened the FW with the FiiO tools and it's basically the exact same FW layout as the FiiO wheel based DAPs (tailored for the QP1R of course). I was going to grab one and do a custom theme, but then Questyle basically said that would kill the warranty so that squashed that idea, lol.

My Mojo is clamped so tight to my DX90 by a Noble band, it cannot be removed :). What a bonus, two bands coming with their iem, LOL.

OT/ QP1R feels class in the hand. Wheel fine with supplied sticker, only minor complaint is volume knob would feel better if stiffer. But sound is tops for an exciting sound. Go on, knocks those AKs for seven, like a Mojo!

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #22,890 of 42,765
Yeah but to my ears sq is better using Onkyo HD than playing the same files using the stock iPhone Music app. These are Apple Lossless files. So I think that there's more going on than bit perfect.

Many many pages back I believe that John Franks (Chord) was recommending the Onkyo player as Chord had detected that the Apple Music app was boosting the top end.

My only reservation with Onkyo is that the app does not exclude its high res. data from iTunes (PC) backups so backups are much larger than if using FLACPlayer for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back