Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 17, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #22,846 of 42,765
  Since Apple stitched up my Lavricable with iOS 10! Apple you are feckin' bawbags of the highest order! You have a grip on my 'nads like no other has, not even my awesome wife has my 'nads gripped like it! And just like a relationship can be, I am being battered by your change of designs (stupid removal of 3.5mm port), I am being abused by your constant changes to iOS to ensure other gear won't work (Lavricable), I am bruised by your prices at every single turn (I mean, £919 for a feckin' phone), yet I still stay with you, love you like no other and this is how you treat me still!

Yeah, abusive relationships. Time to get out.

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #22,847 of 42,765
iPhone 6S+, Mojo, SW24, Shure SE425 - I cannot get over how much I love the sounds filling my head! Incredible. 
Since my 'about turn' on my thoughts of the Mojo accessory pack, I have ordered that and the Mojo case. Since Apple stitched up my Lavricable with iOS 10! Apple you are feckin' bawbags of the highest order! You have a grip on my 'nads like no other has, not even my awesome wife has my 'nads gripped like it! And just like a relationship can be, I am being battered by your change of designs (stupid removal of 3.5mm port), I am being abused by your constant changes to iOS to ensure other gear won't work (Lavricable), I am bruised by your prices at every single turn (I mean, £919 for a feckin' phone), yet I still stay with you, love you like no other and this is how you treat me still!

I hear yeah!
I have a iPhone 5s and even though I really like it, it will more then likely be my last iPhone.

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #22,849 of 42,765
I'm just afraid adel changes the sound signature, does sit have any effect on 1964 ears module vs non module?

The ADEL modulea in general add a sense of airy-ness over the entire frequency spectrum, they generally increase soundstage (B1, MAM). They also make the bass tighter. It really depends on the module but overall, airiness, seperation and soundstage should improve. Everything should sound more natrual, as if you were hearing it live.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #22,851 of 42,765

@Rob Watts, this has been very clarifying for me as well, many thanks.

I had been doing carefully testings with USB vs Toslink glass cables; I still can't decide myself wich one to prefer, yet. I would say.... my brain seems to relax more with toslink, and it also seems not to get tired after many hours of music (with USB, I would experience just a little bit of this fatigue)

So, based on your above clarification, let me ask you this: in terms of musicality, which connection would you say emphatise musicality more , USB or toslink?

It all depends - portable lap-tops on battery or DAP's and mobile phones, then USB would have the edge. But big noisy PC's it would be optical. But I have never suffered fatigue at all with optical.

Rob

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #22,852 of 42,765
Mojo actually upsamples and filters everything to 2048 FS (eventually getting to 104 MHz) and it does this in two stages. Firstly upsamples to 16 FS via the WTA filter, then there is a second filter that then takes you to 2048 FS.

Its the upsampling to 16FS where the clever stuff happens - that's where the 44 dsp cores are used - and this process is orders of magnitude more advanced than what a PC can do. So what we are talking here is not the need to upsample, but how well that upsampling is done. So if you want the best sound quality, let Mojo have the original file and let it do the upsampling.

To take your video example when you are upscaling to 1080p from 720p. Would you prefer to have it done crudely and very simply, or done with the best video processing possible?

Rob

Hello Rob!

I understand that 44.1 files that have been downloaded in flak/ or mp3 form are best left 44.1 or even CD's that are played through a CD player.

I was referring to files that are streaming that have been ready to stream at 96khz or even 192khz or DSD files from Tidal or DSD websites. What I don't understand is, just based on this post, would you suggest that I uncheck everything from sound properties in windows? There are options under sound properties where you can choose 44.1,96,192,384 in 16 or 32bits.

You would have to choose a sampling rate in Windows properties. Default is at the lowest which is 44.1, but regardless it is still a sampling rate that is being done by windows and you cannot bypass it.

There is a DAC that is done by PS Audio called Directstream which have gotten very good reviews for its nature to output all sampling rates to DSD.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #22,853 of 42,765
Hello Rob!

I understand that 44.1 files that have been downloaded in flak/ or mp3 form are best left 44.1 or even CD's that are played through a CD player.

I was referring to files that are streaming that have been ready to stream at 96khz or even 192khz or DSD files from Tidal or DSD websites. What I don't understand is, just based on this post, would you suggest that I uncheck everything from sound properties in windows? There are options under sound properties where you can choose 44.1,96,192,384 in 16 or 32bits.

You would have to choose a sampling rate in Windows properties. Default is at the lowest which is 44.1, but regardless, it is still a sampling rate that is being done by windows and you cannot bypass it.

There is a DAC that is done by PS Audio called Directstream which have gotten very good reviews for its nature to output all files to DSD.

Yes I do not understand why they simply don't let the source you are using select the sample rate automatically, and computer sourced interrupts follow the music tracks. It's very frustrating. What I do when using a non bit perfect app is to set it to 44.1 for music, and if I play a DVD or blu-ray set it to 48k.

I don't use tidal, so I can't advise of a way to make that bit perfect.

Rob

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #22,854 of 42,765
Tidal has WASAPI output which means it bypasses all of the enhancements and the shared sample rate you chose on the properties. I prefer Spotify's ASIO output over Tidal HiFi WASAPI Exclusive. Tidal's windows app hypes up the lower/mid treble IMO which sounds harsh to my ears while Spotify's ASIO sounds natural. Also, Spotify's ASIO sounds closer to Foobar ASIO output IME.

However, I prefer Tidal HiFi than Spotify Premium on my iPhone.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #22,855 of 42,765
Yes I do not understand why they simply don't let the source you are using select the sample rate automatically, and computer sourced interrupts follow the music tracks. It's very frustrating. What I do when using a non bit perfect app is to set it to 44.1 for music, and if I play a DVD or blu-ray set it to 48k.

I don't use tidal, so I can't advise of a way to make that bit perfect.

Rob

Thank you Rob I will go ahead and set it to the sampling rates you have recommended. There are a few tracks that I prefer of higher sampling rates, I will go ahead and have a closer listen to those ones again.
Like I have said, I have no doubt CD'S that are 44.1 are best left at original sampling rates, but I do find STREAM services tend to differ at times. Aside from these miniscule differences, I do find Mojo and Hugo highly enjoyable and a great bargain in the Audiophille world. Highest recommendation and great work Rob! Happy listening :)

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #22,856 of 42,765
I reckon Lavricable owners may need to consider upgrading their cable with an Android smartphone - problem solved - no more software upgrades selfishly undermining customers' legitimate intentions to minimise the intrusiveness of an anti-competitive proprietary protocol.

There's two ways of looking at it really.

Is Apple the bad guy for locking down a proprietary connection, or are non MFi licensed manufacturers the bad guys for trying to avoid licensing fees?

Personally I'd prefer that the iToy simply had a standard USB port, but that's never going to happen.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #22,857 of 42,765
This thread is really kicking along again!

Does anyone (else) have feedback on iAudiogate iOS app from Korg?

I have it and I notice it doesn't let you control volume from the app which I assume means it's "bit-perfect". Is that likely? It has a pretty good EQ as well. In iOS 10 you can delete the crappy stock music player now.

Also I recently got a Lavricables cable and I've not had any playback issues in iOS 10. It's been been flawless for me.

I doubt if your cable uses a genuine Apple CCK chip Apple would deactivate it (would they even know)? As far as they're concerned you've paid the Apple tax. The problems likely arise if your cable-maker uses a "bootleg" chip. Lavricables arent explicit about this on the ad. I perhaps foolishly assumed that for the price it was genuine and perhaps now they are which explains why I'm good.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #22,858 of 42,765
I
There's two ways of looking at it really.

Is Apple the bad guy for locking down a proprietary connection, or are non MFi licensed manufacturers the bad guys for trying to avoid licensing fees?

Personally I'd prefer that the iToy simply had a standard USB port, but that's never going to happen.

I accept Apple's practices as their right. They have succeeded. I don't know how Lavricables work, but the Penon takes the actual chip out of the CCK cable. In this case, there is no real trickery. Apple actually wins because they sell one cable for every Penon constructed.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #22,860 of 42,765
I
I accept Apple's practices as their right. They have succeeded. I don't know how Lavricables work, but the Penon takes the actual chip out of the CCK cable. In this case, there is no real trickery. Apple actually wins because they sell one cable for every Penon constructed.

I could not agree more. I own the Lavricable interconnect, the Fiio L-19 and the Penon Audio Lightning Decoder cable. In the 5 months with the Penon Audio cable, it has worked flawlessly with every iOS update including iOS 10.0.1. Yes, it is $130 but worth every cent.
http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back