Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 13, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #22,651 of 42,765
I was just having a bit of fun :wink: The Mojo is such a small form factor I don't know whether cumbersome was the word you were looking for, tis all.

Your honesty about not being able to hear a difference between the Mojo and the iPhone with your IE800s is refreshing.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #22,652 of 42,765
I don't do really critical listening at work anyway, and at home I have Yggy so it's not getting used there. I am definitely not in a position to want to debate Mojo vs Yggy here. 
redface.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #22,653 of 42,765
Why not? The highest rung on the hi-fi ladder I've experienced is the Mojo, and I'm genuinely curious about how gear twice+ the price compares - even subjectively.

I never do any critical listening so it could well be I'd never notice the difference between a Mojo and something like the Yggy. But still, curiosity...

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #22,654 of 42,765

It fits extremely snug, it was able to hang the Mojo from it by holding only the phone. I know but it was only a test.

I sold Mojo because I don't need it at home and it's too cumbersome for me at work, honestly I was having trouble resolving any difference to my iPhone 6S with ie800.
I probably shouldn't admit that here but there you have it.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that cord in mind.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #22,655 of 42,765
  It's sad that you didn't hear the differences what can I say... This is also great news for you. You can save some good money with this hobby :p

The bass is just fine, especially if the amp/headphones/speakers can actually do bass. It's more on the neutral side even if let's say a liiiitle bit warm. But I didn't find it lacking in this area, no.

Thank you Dan.  What I'm hearing is that the Mojo is the cat's pyjamas even if one is looking to incorporate it into there home 2 channel system with passives. 

Are you running it with your home system non-headphone? 

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #22,656 of 42,765

Thank you Dan.  What I'm hearing is that the Mojo is the cat's pyjamas even if one is looking to incorporate it into there home 2 channel system with passives. 

Are you running it with your home system non-headphone? 

I consider Mojo to be the best dac irregardless of the size, until more than 10x its price.  At least in my experience. I have tested it with portable headphones, normal headphones, power hungry headphones and even in my speaker system.

More details in my review.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #22,657 of 42,765

I consider Mojo to be the best dac irregardless of the size, until more than 10x its price.  At least in my experience. I have tested it with portable headphones, normal headphones, power hungry headphones and even in my speaker system.

More details in my review.

Looked at your MOJO review Dan and I must say I'm being pulled in.............. in a good way.  You'd make a good salesman, but in this case maybe the little guy sells itself. Thanks

Every time someone attests to the fact that this little fella can be used most adequately in a home system with passives, it does give me the kind of confidence I've been looking for.  Thanks again.

Oh wait, I was suppose to go into work today!

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #22,658 of 42,765
  Thanks Vapman.  I have an old pc laptop that needs retiring and that is the reason for my search for a new one, to marry to a MOJO when I procure one.  Query:  other than a laptop for the purposes of an interface to choose music files, are there other options that I could be overlooking that could meet this need?  I know that there are tablets but they have limited sockets and I'm not looking for wireless.  
p.s. this is to hook-up to a 2 channel amp passive speaker listening system.  Thanks.

I use this hub to charge everything, works great and can provide up to 1.5 amp of power to the port if the device can use over 500ma.

hub

and it's cheap

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #22,659 of 42,765

I use this hub to charge everything, works great and can provide up to 1.5 amp of power to the port if the device can use over 500ma.

hub

and it's cheap

That's great.  What do you think of this one? 

https://www.amazon.com/Charge-RAVPower-4-Port-Charger-iSmart/dp/B018S6X92I/

Ooops! I believe this is just a charger not a hub.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #22,660 of 42,765
looks okay but do note the qc 2.0 benefit and related 2.4 amp only applies to devices supporting that.  They have no spec for normal devices but it should be just fine as it will be backwards compatible for normal usb devices.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #22,661 of 42,765
  Why not? The highest rung on the hi-fi ladder I've experienced is the Mojo, and I'm genuinely curious about how gear twice+ the price compares - even subjectively.

I never do any critical listening so it could well be I'd never notice the difference between a Mojo and something like the Yggy. But still, curiosity...

I am not ducking the discussion, but I don't have much to add.
Because in my situation it's a can of worms.
When I compared Mojo to multi-bit I already had a tube amp, Lyr 2 and nothing else to use to compare.
I prefer that sound to the Mojo sound, and to the LISST sound. I find these SS (amps?) very sterile.
It's too apples and oranges to really get into, too many variables to be able to speak intelligently.

EDIT: I guess I could have done a line out from Mojo through my amp but...I never thought I had a reason to want to use it in my desktop solution.
Perhaps I didn't respect Mojo enough when I tried it at home.
In fact the only reason I plugged it into my computer at all was to make sure it worked because at the time I didn't have an apple CCK or the Penon cable so I couldn't try it with my phone. I only gave Mojo a very short audition period. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #22,662 of 42,765
  looks okay but do note the qc 2.0 benefit and related 2.4 amp only applies to devices supporting that.  They have no spec for normal devices but it should be just fine as it will be backwards compatible for normal usb devices.

But in your opinion, the hub you posted from amazon is the better of the two for my Mojo set-up in a home system?

Can you leave the Mojo plugged into such a device all the time? 

Lastly, you said,"can provide up to 1.5 amp of power to the port if the device can use over 500ma."  Could you explain a little more of what you mean by that statement as it relates to my setting up a laptop to the Mojo for a home system?

Thanks Bixby

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #22,663 of 42,765

But in your opinion, the hub you posted from amazon is the better of the two for my Mojo set-up in a home system?

Can you leave the Mojo plugged into such a device all the time? 

Lastly, you said,"can provide up to 1.5 amp of power to the port if the device can use over 500ma."  Could you explain a little more of what you mean by that statement as it relates to my setting up a laptop to the Mojo for a home system?

Thanks Bixby

1.  I have no idea which hub is "better"  other than the Plugable has been doing its job flawlessly for coming up on 3 years.

2.  From the data in reference post #3 I do not see why not, but I charge then use in two systems, then recharge every night.

3.  The Plugable can provide up to 1.5 amp current to qualified devices, ones that meet that spec I think it is QC1??  the reason I suggested the Hub is because many laptops do not have enough amperage on their usb ports to supply 1 amp, which is recommended for the Mojo  Many usb ports are setup to be capped at 500ma.  Depends on the laptop, obviously, although many usb 3 ports could provide the power.  I suspect you just need to try your particular one, prior to springing for a hub.

But be aware, the more stuff you have connected to usb ports in your computer the more noise you may introduce into the bus and may eventually affect the ultimate SQ of the Mojo.  In both my setups there is nothing else on the usb bus.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #22,664 of 42,765
Thanks Headfry:

I would be looking for Mojo to fit into my 2 channel amp listening home system with passive speakers and no headphones and no need for portability.  I know the Mojo is marketed for mobility, but since I heard such good things about it and that it can be incorporated into a home system, I've been all ears.  I'm hearing that the Mojo doesn't have a lot of bottom wieght as you mention and it's tonal mass might not be it's strong suit with passives - others would know better than me.  But I'm wondering how it would do with my new Monitor Audio Bronze 2's - they are a little warm with a sweet tweet. 

It's a far ways for me to audition, so I'd just have to chance it.   I'm also wondering if the Bimby would offer as you say more tonal mass and weight vs. the MOJO with passives.

Let me just say that the Mojo's bottom weight is not lacking. The issue that may be heard with passive speakers is the amplification requirements, not the source requirement. The Audio Bronze 2 speakers are rated 8 Ohm, 90 dB/1W@1M with an amplification requirement of 30-100W of power. The speakers just aren't sensitive enough to be driven without a power amplifier. That's not an issue with the Mojo, that's a system mismatch.

If looking to use the Mojo in a system make sure the system is matched properly for power and then adding the Mojo as a DAC will not, in any way, show a lack of bass or tonal mass. That 'rumour' is unfounded.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #22,665 of 42,765

1.  I have no idea which hub is "better"  other than the Plugable has been doing its job flawlessly for coming up on 3 years.

2.  From the data in reference post #3 I do not see why not, but I charge then use in two systems, then recharge every night.

3.  The Plugable can provide up to 1.5 amp current to qualified devices, ones that meet that spec I think it is QC1??  the reason I suggested the Hub is because many laptops do not have enough amperage on their usb ports to supply 1 amp, which is recommended for the Mojo  Many usb ports are setup to be capped at 500ma.  Depends on the laptop, obviously, although many usb 3 ports could provide the power.  I suspect you just need to try your particular one, prior to springing for a hub.

But be aware, the more stuff you have connected to usb ports in your computer the more noise you may introduce into the bus and may eventually affect the ultimate SQ of the Mojo.  In both my setups there is nothing else on the usb bus.

That's some good stuff Bixby.  If needed I could get this piece and still retain my old laptop which probably has USB under power.  We'll see.  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back