Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 12, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #22,621 of 42,765
  Ok, this thing starts to drive me crazy.
I use Mojo as desktop DAC with AQ Cinnamon. The cable connector does not have the snug fit, like some cheapo usb cables do. It moves around, and when I move Mojo it often loses connection, which results in an error message in Foobar. Repositoning the cable (while staying connected to Mojo), closing the error message and restarting the track solves the problem.
 But this happens far too often, when I move Mojo around.
Chord says, they have standard usb inputs. AQ says they have standard usb plugs. So, there is noone to blame, but I am still going crazy due to loosing connection after the slightest movement of the unit.
 What would you guys do in my shoes?
I obviously hear big difference between the stock usb cable and the Cinnamon. Having no better idea I thought, I'd try some other cables in Cinnamons price range or lower, and see if they stay in place. (And selling cinnamon, although I like the sonic improvement it brought.)
Many thanks for any response.

I had the same issue with the Cinnamon. Never got more than a few minutes of music before it came undone. It was a disappointment since the cable is a bit pricey but seemingly well-built with a nice aesthetic IMO. Eventually, I gave AQ another chance with the Forest. No problems at all and I do appreciate how it is more bendy. Can't compare the sound with the Cinnamon since it kept disconnecting. Strange and frustrating.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #22,622 of 42,765

provided the laptop usb socket can supply 5V at 1A (minimum) to your Mojo. Not all laptop usb sockets can.

If I am in the market for a new laptop (as my music library) for the purpose of connecting the MOJO, that i have yet to purchase, and want to use one of the laptop's USB sockets to charge the MOJO on a consistent basis, how does one know that it's USB socket has a supply of 5V at 1A minimum to handle this aforementioned task?  I inquired from a tech who told me that the companies do not provide this info.  Thanks.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #22,623 of 42,765

If I am in the market for a new laptop (as my music library) for the purpose of connecting the MOJO, that i have yet to purchase, and want to use one of the laptop's USB sockets to charge the MOJO on a consistent basis, how does one know that it's USB socket has a supply of 5V at 1A minimum to handle this aforementioned task?  I inquired from a tech who told me that the companies do not provide this info.  Thanks.

I don't know who your tech is..... but the truthful answer is it varies from laptop to laptop.

For example all your Apple branded laptops max out at 500mA but might be able to push 1A if if it detects an iPad or something else with Apple trickery.

On non-Apple laptops, at least on Thinkpads and other IBM/Lenovo laptops, you will notice one USB port is yellow where the rest are normal. The yellow ports are the high power ones, aka the ones that can push 1A of 5V. The rest max out at 500mA.

If your laptop does not have an advertised high power port, and the specificationsmention nothing of the sort, i would assume they are all 500mA like normal.

Personally I only use thinkpads and I have models from early as 2007 which implement the yellow colored high-power USB port and have never had an issue getting 1A power from them.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #22,624 of 42,765
Re. the AQ Cinnamon - I had the same issue with the QED Reference cable I had & returned it. I can recommend the Supra micro usb cable; no such troubles with that. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #22,625 of 42,765

I don't know who your tech is..... but the truthful answer is it varies from laptop to laptop.

For example all your Apple branded laptops max out at 500mA but might be able to push 1A if if it detects an iPad or something else with Apple trickery.

On non-Apple laptops, at least on Thinkpads and other IBM/Lenovo laptops, you will notice one USB port is yellow where the rest are normal. The yellow ports are the high power ones, aka the ones that can push 1A of 5V. The rest max out at 500mA.

If your laptop does not have an advertised high power port, and the specificationsmention nothing of the sort, i would assume they are all 500mA like normal.

Personally I only use thinkpads and I have models from early as 2007 which implement the yellow colored high-power USB port and have never had an issue getting 1A power from them.

Thanks Vapman.  I have an old pc laptop that needs retiring and that is the reason for my search for a new one, to marry to a MOJO when I procure one.  Query:  other than a laptop for the purposes of an interface to choose music files, are there other options that I could be overlooking that could meet this need?  I know that there are tablets but they have limited sockets and I'm not looking for wireless.  
p.s. this is to hook-up to a 2 channel amp passive speaker listening system.  Thanks.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #22,626 of 42,765
  Can a Veyron or Chiron go faster with an even bigger engine?    To a degree, "yes, it is possible".

Does that mean one should go ahead and actually do that? It is the owner's prerogative to do whatever they wish, but the answer to the question is "No, not necessarily"
confused_face.gif

Exactly. If it was matter of choice, it is up to the individual and the answer might be "no, not necessarily".

But my post was geared towards the question "is it possible?"

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #22,627 of 42,765
  Thanks Vapman.  I have an old pc laptop that needs retiring and that is the reason for my search for a new one, to marry to a MOJO when I procure one.  Query:  other than a laptop for the purposes of an interface to choose music files, are there other options that I could be overlooking that could meet this need?  I know that there are tablets but they have limited sockets and I'm not looking for wireless.  
p.s. this is to hook-up to a 2 channel amp passive speaker listening system.  Thanks.

If the laptop's main job is to play music, you are lucky, because even plenty of old ones will do the job. However, if you don't want to buy a laptop that doesn't have at least one 1A USB port, I'm not sure how limited your options will end up being.

I am not very well versed in laptops that aren't Apple or Thinkpad. I have been using Thinkpads since the 700 series so I am somewhat of a Thinkpad fanatic I suppose. Another one of my daily driver laptops, the T420 (can be had for ~$100 easily despite being a i5 machine)  also has a high power USB port on the back.

Posted from my close-to-10-year-old Thinkpad X61 with my USB DAC plugged into the high-power USB port which is currently driving my stereo.

edit: I keep my Mojo charging by a wall USB brick instead of a high power USB port if I can help it.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #22,628 of 42,765

Yeah Mojo (well any good DAC/amp really) really shines with properly dynamic audio of witch films are generally a lot better than modern CDs.

In fact, the apparent standard for dynamism in video may even be a bit too much for music, I don't know.  All I know is that DVD and Bluray audio is typically very dynamic because the audio engineers like to highlight things like explosions etc.

Even so, I'd much rather have the cinema standard of dynamism for audio CDs than what modern CDs have become. 
frown.gif

I don't think movie audio are doing anything funny. Music audio engineers tend to ruin audio by compressing the hell out of everything and adding artifical processes which makes the audio brighter than it really is.

For any of you living in the UK, there's an interesting program (called 'Sound of Cinema') on BBC4, in one hour from now (midnight), documenting the influence of modern technology upon the production of film/movie soundtracks.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #22,629 of 42,765

If the laptop's main job is to play music, you are lucky, because even plenty of old ones will do the job. However, if you don't want to buy a laptop that doesn't have at least one 1A USB port, I'm not sure how limited your options will end up being.

I am not very well versed in laptops that aren't Apple or Thinkpad. I have been using Thinkpads since the 700 series so I am somewhat of a Thinkpad fanatic I suppose. Another one of my daily driver laptops, the T420 (can be had for ~$100 easily despite being a i5 machine)  also has a high power USB port on the back.

Posted from my close-to-10-year-old Thinkpad X61 with my USB DAC plugged into the high-power USB port which is currently driving my stereo.

edit: I keep my Mojo charging by a wall USB brick instead of a high power USB port if I can help it.

Thanks Vapman

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #22,630 of 42,765

All USB ports are 5v. I think all USB 2.0 ports are 0.5A (or 500mA).

I think, so google it, that USB 3.0 ports are 5v 1A.

Either way though, if you only have USB 2.0 ports it's not game over. If you have enough ports, you can join the current from two of them into one. You need a cable like this (with a USB-C micro to fit the Mojo).

This has the wrong plug on for the Mojo, but you get the idea.

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #22,633 of 42,765
I would like to know which would be a better choice for hifiman edition x
Mojo which I have or Jotunheim

The HEX is easy to drive so if you want the measurably better DAC and more transparent analogue out then the Mojo is your pick (which already has a lot of power). If you like the tonality of Jotunheim and gobs of power for a future very difficult to drive headphone then pick the Schiit.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #22,635 of 42,765

Not true.  From Apple:

Apple computers with USB 3 ports provide:
  1. Up to 900 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204377

In other words, Apple only restricts the power output to some of its own devices because it deems 500 mV (slower recharging) better for the iPhone for instance.

Apple laptops with USB 3 therefore have the benefit of having both optical audio output and high-power USB ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back