Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 12, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #22,607 of 42,765
I could not see me wanting to pair a Chord DAC with a headphone amp.

I mean I use my Mojo with desktop speakers, and SR225e headphones. The Mojo is beautifully balanced. My 225e lack a fraction of bass; my desktop speakers don't. If I buy further kit it will be to compliment the Mojo sound like a more balanced headphone. Or neutral hi-fi gear that can work as desktop/monitoring gear, like Neat Motive 3.

I would not add a headphone amp to correct headphone weakness. Neither do I think the Mojo lacks in an area where adding further processing could work.
It's soundstage is
o2smile.gif

It's balanced
darthsmile.gif

It's tone is
dt880smile.png

Running an amp on it will lose some sound quality across connections and cables anyway.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #22,608 of 42,765
@robwatts @mojoideas @chordelectronics. What do you guys think about using something like the UE bufferjack impedance adapter with Mojo? I own the A12's which the creator unfortunately saw fit to tune such that they sound best with high impedance sources. I'm hoping the impedance adapter will raise the upper mids and highs without shrinking stage or lowering sound quality.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #22,609 of 42,765
  I think everyone agrees that Mojo is a fantastic DAC and is considered high end or entry level high end. AMP wise, it's very capable as well but I was wondering what would be an upgrade? I ask this because i'm using audioquest nighthawks with mojo and i find that mojo does't give it satisfying dynamics. I think most people are happy with these combo but i'm a huge dynamics lover and i can immediately tell if a system can be better dynamic wise. I have a Sony MDR100AP as well and it portrays better dynamics and bass control when driven by Mojo.

An upgrade would be if you used bitperfect mode. If you already use that, then start looking for upgrades in the £1000+ price range. :wink:

I owned Nighthawks for a couple of months and did not think it lacks anything with Mojo. (25 ohms headphone lacking dynamics with Mojo? Come on.)
(Although, note I sold my Nighthawks as it was not my cup of tea. I liked the bass and the velvety smoothness and comfort, but the mids and treble just did not make it up for me. It was sort of a closed in experience even compared to TH-X00s.)

EDIT: Imo you are rather talking about headphone preference than DAC dynamics.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #22,610 of 42,765
Ok, this thing starts to drive me crazy.
I use Mojo as desktop DAC with AQ Cinnamon. The cable connector does not have the snug fit, like some cheapo usb cables do. It moves around, and when I move Mojo it often loses connection, which results in an error message in Foobar. Repositoning the cable (while staying connected to Mojo), closing the error message and restarting the track solves the problem.
 But this happens far too often, when I move Mojo around.
Chord says, they have standard usb inputs. AQ says they have standard usb plugs. So, there is noone to blame, but I am still going crazy due to loosing connection after the slightest movement of the unit.
 What would you guys do in my shoes?
I obviously hear big difference between the stock usb cable and the Cinnamon. Having no better idea I thought, I'd try some other cables in Cinnamons price range or lower, and see if they stay in place. (And selling cinnamon, although I like the sonic improvement it brought.)
Many thanks for any response.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #22,611 of 42,765
  An upgrade would be if you used bitperfect mode. If you already use that, then start looking for upgrades in the £1000+ price range. :wink:

I owned Nighthawks for a couple of months and did not think it lacks anything with Mojo. (25 ohms headphone lacks dynamics with Mojo? Come on.)
(Although, note I sold my Nighthawks as it was not my cup of tea. I liked the bass and the velvety smoothness and comfort, but the mids and treble just did not make it up for me. It was sort of a closed in experience even compared to TH-X00s.)

EDIT: Imo you are rather talking about headphone preference than DAC dynamics.

Actually, the impedance does not tell the whole story. I have a Rhapsodio Galaxy which is rated at 16 Ohm and 112 dB sensitivity. At 16 Ohm my iPhone, Mac or Fiio X3ii should not have any trouble driving it and they don't. Galaxy gets pretty loud on all these devices. But it lacks those dynamics, depth and sounds harsh. Galaxy loves power. Mojo provides sufficient power to drive it well. But it doesn't end there.  A couple of Galaxy owners have confirmed with me personally that, the Galaxy scales higher with powerful amps. The maker of the Galaxy himself uses his IEM with his desktop amp to get the best out of it.

Along the same lines, it is possible for a low-impedance headphone/IEM, to sound better/scale higher with an amp that has a higher output power than the Mojo.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #22,612 of 42,765

Actually, the impedance does not tell the whole story. I have a Rhapsodio Galaxy which is rated at 16 Ohm and 112 dB sensitivity. At 16 Ohm my iPhone, Mac or Fiio X3ii should not have any trouble driving it and they don't. Galaxy gets pretty loud on all these devices. But it lacks those dynamics, depth and sounds harsh. Galaxy loves power. Mojo provides sufficient power to drive it well. But it doesn't end there.  A couple of Galaxy owners have confirmed with me personally that, the Galaxy scales higher with powerful amps. The maker of the Galaxy himself uses his IEM with his desktop amp to get the best out of it.

Along the same lines, it is possible for a low-impedance headphone/IEM, to sound better/scale higher with an amp that has a higher output power than the Mojo.

I am also aware of this.
Impedance is just one aspect and can be very relative. 
I believe, Mojo can start to be questionable at 300 ohms regarding dynamics. Some people find it sufficient, some do not.
But Mojo at 25 ohms? I think all grey areas are vastly covered in this case.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #22,616 of 42,765
considering that mojo has more  voltage output than what would even a 600 ohm headphone need to go to deafening levels , mojo should in fact perform better for dynamics as higher impedance hence higher operating voltage will require far less current and current swings for the same power . that's what differentiate between a dap and dedicated headphone amp ( portable or desktop )   i may be wrong but i can say this because i use beyer dt880 600ohm with mojo and i barely needed to go beyond light blue. even at very high levels mojo never loses the grip. in fact mojo shines at higher volume settings typically above 1 volt or so.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #22,617 of 42,765
  I am also aware of this.
Impedance is just one aspect and can be very relative. 
I believe, Mojo can start to be questionable at 300 ohms regarding dynamics. Some people find it sufficient, some do not.
But Mojo at 25 ohms? I think all grey areas are vastly covered in this case.

It has been well established that Mojo does cover those grey areas. But another topic under discussion was "can certain low-impedance headphones/IEMs scale higher, if a more powerful amp is added to the Mojo?" and the 16 Ohm Galaxy example is a testimony to "yes, it is possible".

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #22,618 of 42,765
Can a Veyron or Chiron go faster with an even bigger engine?    To a degree, "yes, it is possible".

Does that mean one should go ahead and actually do that? It is the owner's prerogative to do whatever they wish, but the answer to the question is "No, not necessarily"
confused_face.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #22,619 of 42,765
  Ok, this thing starts to drive me crazy.
I use Mojo as desktop DAC with AQ Cinnamon. The cable connector does not have the snug fit, like some cheapo usb cables do. It moves around, and when I move Mojo it often loses connection, which results in an error message in Foobar. Repositoning the cable (while staying connected to Mojo), closing the error message and restarting the track solves the problem.
 But this happens far too often, when I move Mojo around.
Chord says, they have standard usb inputs. AQ says they have standard usb plugs. So, there is noone to blame, but I am still going crazy due to loosing connection after the slightest movement of the unit.
 What would you guys do in my shoes?
I obviously hear big difference between the stock usb cable and the Cinnamon. Having no better idea I thought, I'd try some other cables in Cinnamons price range or lower, and see if they stay in place. (And selling cinnamon, although I like the sonic improvement it brought.)
Many thanks for any response.

There's been quite a few cases of where the Mojo behaves in this way. Most often it's been the cable. See post 2 on this thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/788913/chord-mojo-issue-solutions-thread#post_12106124

Best solution, get a cheap cable and use it to test if your problem is cable or DAC.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #22,620 of 42,765
I am also wondering if anyone uses Mojo with LCD-2 (2016 edition)? 

Opinions?

I use the LCD-2.2 (late 2013) and it's great with the Mojo. No drivability issues at all. I can't comment on the sound compared to a 2016 version as Audeze has changed/tuned the LCD-2 sound since then. In the end, yes, the Mojo should have zero issue driving the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back