Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 23, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #21,616 of 42,765
Please don't answer with just an yes, the answer is always more complicated. Just telling someone that it's worth to upgrade without taking other factors into account can lead to buyers remorse if they are unhappy with the signature after they get it. 

What type of sound are you interested in? 

I think that is Mojo fits your bill when it comes to your personal tastes, it is a totally worth it upgrade. remember that it's smooth and musical, and Mojo can drive a lot of hard to drive headphones. 

Owned :D

Some remixes are acceptable :etysmile:  
ok then no comment.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #21,617 of 42,765
ok then no comment.

Like this?
blink.gif

or like this?
blink.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #21,619 of 42,765
while many people consider Norah Jones come away with me as audiophile stuff but imho it is far from it. I never liked the old record kind of sound which always felt deliberately done. I have other newer popular jazz albums recorded much better than Norah Jones . try albums of manu katche or fourplay or even Diana krall , all have better dynamics and transparency.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #21,620 of 42,765
I have a Dx90 as a Dap and a sony mdr z7. Can anyone help me decide if it is worth an upgrade to buy the chord mojo to enhance the sound quality of my setup? So far my dx90 can drive the mdr z7 just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Having had both Ibasso DX90 and Mojo, I will attempt to make a stab at answering your question. IMO!!!

First of all, as in the words of the song from F.R. David, "words don't come easy" - to me but gifs do come a bit too frequently!

The DX90 can tend to be a bit sterile/clinical and can lack a bit of body, perhaps unless partnered with a warmer style headphone.

The Mojo, generally is much more musical but can have an upfront, in your face presentation, which can take some time to get used to.

If you have ever tried the Fiio X5 (which I really disliked) you may get the idea of what I mean by an 'in your face' presentation, but in my opinion the Mojo is in a different league.

I say this to anyone considering buying a Mojo - stop wasting your time thinking about it - just go ahead and buy it from somewhere with a good returns policy and try it for yourself and see if it does it for you and also if stacking works okay for you, etc.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #21,621 of 42,765

Adel is horribly compressed in her digital releases (including CD) and I have a hard time listening to her albums because of it. The Mojo clearly highlights both examples.

There are thousands of reasons to have a hard time listening to her albums, and you choose that one?!
tongue.gif

Yeah, but ABBA sing in English, even though they are Swedes.

It's anyone's guess what language Adele 'sings' in, but it definitely isn't English!
tongue.gif

I'll go even further, and say that, frankly, anyone playing Adele through Mojo should be made to forfeit their Mojo and settle for a lesser DAC 
evil_smiley.gif

(ducks and waits for the inevitable backlash!)

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #21,622 of 42,765

It's anyone's guess what language Adele 'sings' in, but it definitely isn't English! :p

I'll go even further, and say that, frankly, anyone playing Adele through Mojo should be made to forfeit their Mojo and settle for a lesser DAC  :evil:

Ill add Diana krall to the list not cause the recording but of her singing.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #21,623 of 42,765
I have ordered via eBay a (Micro USB to Lightning Cable) for 49.99 USD.

Will post details of it when it arrives.
Link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/252476440532?_mwBanner=1

Cool. I'll add it to post #3 if you find it works as it should
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #21,624 of 42,765

It's anyone's guess what language Adele 'sings' in, but it definitely isn't English! :p

I'll go even further, and say that, frankly, anyone playing Adele through Mojo should be made to forfeit their Mojo and settle for a lesser DAC  :evil:

You know Mython, the funny thing is that one of the first few songs I tried with Mojo was Hello as well as her latest album. Since I wasn't accustomed to the resolution at that time it literally made my jaw drop. I gave a listen to her new album on other dacs and found it to be unengaging and boring. But with Mojo it made it not just more bearable but actually entertaining. You could actually feel more emotion when she sings.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #21,625 of 42,765

It's anyone's guess what language Adele 'sings' in, but it definitely isn't English!
tongue.gif

I'll go even further, and say that, frankly, anyone playing Adele through Mojo should be made to forfeit their Mojo and settle for a lesser DAC 
evil_smiley.gif

I really disliked swedes and turnips until I stumbled across the blond fluffy variety! 
blink.gif

I think it will be water off a ducks back while she waits for her next royalty cheque to come in.
wink_face.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #21,626 of 42,765
Originally Posted by Traveller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is a YouTube video of chord Dave playing a dsd256 file of s Japanese jazz trio. the file is available for free download in various format. all formats were recorded simultaneously. I tried all formats with mojo. to me best was dxd version which sounded better than dsd256. dsd files sounded a bit soft and did not have that kind of airiness and separation which dxd had. even 24 192 version sounded better than dsd256. here is the link. http://www.audioshark.org/archive/t-9579.html

Thanks for the tip! I don't have any DSD files and quite frankly, have no intentions of going above 24b96K which is about as good as I need it to be
smile_phones.gif

However, thanks to those files, I got to at least try out DSD for once. I will of course also take the time in the near future to A/B them as well, just to confirm my assumption.

But for playback I am still "fine-tuning" my players. I got UAPP to play DSD but I had to make a change to the default settings. The Mojo's power switch initially shone purple. The reason is that the default DSD setting in UAPP is for "DSD to PCM" and I had to change it to "DSD over PCM". Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to square away Foobar yet but I presume it's a similar issue.

Foobar: yellow
UAPP (DSD to PCM): purple "DAC 352800Hz & File DSD 5.6MHz 1bit"
UAPP (DSD over PCM): white "DAC DSD 5.6MHz & File DSD 5.6MHz 1bit"

As for the 256, I get occasional pauses with UAPP - not sure if it's a buffering problem (the file is stored on the removable SD card), CPU problem or the App itself.
Foobar: yellow
UAPP (DSD over PCM): white "DAC DSD 11.2MHz & File DSD 11.2MHz 1bit" (occasional pauses/stutter)

Last but not least, could you please share the link to that Dave video...

Regarding Foobar and DSD, the DSDIFF Decoder "plugin" has one parm; "Max Sample Rate". Oddly, it defaults to 88200 (and max is 192000.)
So now I know why Mojo was yellow when playing both DSD files...
rolleyes.gif
Setting it to the max (192K) changes Mojo's color to... you guessed it, blue. So now I understand how Foobar is controlling the "sample-rate notification" info. What I don't understand is why the parm. and odd sample-rate "ceiling" in the first place; worse, I have no clue what Foobar is really doing with the stream... 
confused.gif
triportsad.gif

p.s. T4S the link, @rkt31 
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #21,627 of 42,765
@Traveller, in install foobar asio plugin and then install foobar dacs decoder plugin. now for dsd playback select 'dsd chord 1.05 asio' as output instead of 'chord asio 1.05' which is for pcm only. now go to sacd in preferences and select dsd as output instead of default pcm. now dsd will automatically stream as dop. I have tried dsd256 too this way and works perfectly fine.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #21,628 of 42,765
The initial 2002 CD release of Come Away With Me was slightly dynamically compressed. The re-release in 2012 that I purchased later from Acoustic Sounds is better. The track 'Come Away With Me' has brushes running on the drums throughout the song, there isn't any hiss at all. You can hear the variety in the brush circling the drum, not a constant drone of hiss. Also, at 1:20 the drummer stops briefly to highlight Norah's words, then continues again at 1:23. Again he stops briefly at 2:45 and resumes at 2:48. This also happens at the end. It's a common theme in that album, and that song in particular doesn't have one drum stick hit on the skins.
Adele is horribly compressed in her digital releases (including CD) and I have a hard time listening to her albums because of it. The Mojo clearly highlights both examples from Norah Jones and Adele.

I have just listened again to the track, and you are right about the brushing fading in and out.

Just a year ago, before i discovered good DACs, I never heard enough detail in tracks, to think about brushing (whether cymbals or drums).  

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #21,629 of 42,765
You know Mython, the funny thing is that one of the first few songs I tried with Mojo was Hello as well as her latest album. Since I wasn't accustomed to the resolution at that time it literally made my jaw drop. I gave a listen to her new album on other dacs and found it to be unengaging and boring. But with Mojo it made it not just more bearable but actually entertaining. You could actually feel more emotion when she sings.

C'mon. When you listen to Adele you hear her stop and work out how she gonna sing the next thing. Like in Hello, she sings 'more', as mowoooh. It's bad enough her doing that, but having to listen to her think her way through that, is too much. Adele is the biggest con currently. Then sometimes you just have no idea where the junk comes from: it's like being affronted.

@Head Fi.

(Any yes when I want to copy and paste YES I WANT TO ALLOW ACCESS!) How many times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back