Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 31, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #20,702 of 42,765
@SearchOfSub, I am afraid that is not possible because like any digital device to show up usb connection is must. if at all it is to be made possible via optical both the dac and pc will be needed to follow a new protocol and may be some design changes in hardware too. via optical asynchronous operation is not possible for the same reason. I would say usb connection of mojo is far more versatile. some may find usb connection to be noisy as compared to optical but if a good shielded usb cable is used ( plus some other not so expensive tweaks like adding f) errite choke to USB cable and a audioquest jitterbug ) usb connection can sound more fluid and open than optical.

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #20,703 of 42,765
@SearchOfSub, I am afraid that is not possible because like any digital device to show up usb connection is must. if at all it is to be made possible via optical both the dac and pc will be needed to follow a new protocol and may be some design changes in hardware too. via optical asynchronous operation is not possible for the same reason. I would say usb connection of mojo is far more versatile. some may find usb connection to be noisy as compared to optical but if a good shielded usb cable is used ( plus some other not so expensive tweaks like adding f) errite choke to USB cable and a audioquest jitterbug ) usb connection can sound more fluid and open than optical.

Ah, I see. Bigger deal than I thought. I am first time PC user for audio so do not have much knowledge on technical side. Thank you for the clarification.

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #20,704 of 42,765

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #20,705 of 42,765
  Wow - a while ago.

Gumby for dedicated (3 or 4 amplifiers, and having multiple analog and XLR outputs assists with this), Mojo for everything else - Mojo even for the occasional local meet, where the pain of traveling with a UPS is too much. And definitely Mojo for travel.

From sound wise what is the difference between two devices? 

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #20,706 of 42,765
  From sound wise what is the difference between two devices? 

Not easy to describe, and your preferences will be different from mine. Definitely a point where a personal listen is advised.
I keep my ears open to various technology/technique for digital audio conversion. I've heard:

1. Arcam irDAC
  2. Audio-GD DAC19 (10th anniversary)
  3. Ayre Codex/QB-9 DSD
  4. Chord Mojo/Hugo
  5. Meridian Explorer/Explorer2/Director/Prime
  6. Metrum Musette/Pavane
  7. Schiit Mimby/Bimby/Gumby/Yggy

All these I've heard at home, with the exception of the Pavane, which I heard at a meet with my own headphones and on the same equipment as I personally own. But I would not be able to truly describe any of these to you in other than simple terms - treble, bass, soundstage, depth, etc. And to me, that doesn't get at the essence of what makes me like or dislike any of these. And my personal like or dislike is not helpful to the next listener, unless my taste is similar to yours.

I posted, probably late last year, that I brought my Chord Mojo to a meet, along with my Gumby and a Schiit Fulla. There was a person at that meet who was interested in hearing the Mojo, and he preferred the Gumby. He went further to state he preferred the Fulla to the Mojo. This is not an opinion I share, but it highlights how differently we each hear sound. You really need to give these implementations a listen for yourself.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #20,707 of 42,765
are there any news on the modules, its been so so so long since getting any news about upcoming modules

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #20,709 of 42,765
I have just ordered one of Konstantin's (Lavricables by names on here) for the iPhone / Mojo. I will post back when I get it and try it.
I am still interested in the upcoming Chord modules for the Mojo / iPhone, however am too impatient so this cable will be tested first! lol.

I will never know but do wonder, would I have ever bought the ZX2 if I had heard the Mojo first? Hmmm. I shall mentally debate that one.....
Similarly, I am a sucker for all this hi-res music malarky. I don't think I would be buying much hi-res stuff if I had the Mojo in the earlier days of my step into audiophile gear. I am just glad I found out what music can sound like via these DAPS/DACS. Am loving it.
Mojo makes CD sound so good as well.

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #20,710 of 42,765
I have just ordered one of Konstantin's (Lavricables by names on here) for the iPhone / Mojo. I will post back when I get it and try it.

I am still interested in the upcoming Chord modules for the Mojo / iPhone, however am too impatient so this cable will be tested first! lol.

I will never know but do wonder, would I have ever bought the ZX2 if I had heard the Mojo first? Hmmm. I shall mentally debate that one.....

Similarly, I am a sucker for all this hi-res music malarky. I don't think I would be buying much hi-res stuff if I had the Mojo in the earlier days of my step into audiophile gear. I am just glad I found out what music can sound like via these DAPS/DACS. Am loving it.

hmmm where did i hear the word malarky these days :)

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #20,711 of 42,765

hmmm where did i hear the word malarky these days
smily_headphones1.gif

we love joe, we love joe...heck i'm a canuck..and i even love joe
jim flaherty was our cdn (Irish) version..he passed away too young but was
admired equally:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Flaherty

now back to audio....

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #20,712 of 42,765
Guys, I have just bought a Mojo and was wondering if you could recommend the best way to connect it up. I intend to use it in my bedroom for listening to headphones, but am planning on storing my music of a NAS and using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer. How would i go about sending the digital signal from the Pi to the Mojo?

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #20,713 of 42,765
Guys, I have just bought a Mojo and was wondering if you could recommend the best way to connect it up. I intend to use it in my bedroom for listening to headphones, but am planning on storing my music of a NAS and using a Raspberry Pi as a streamer. How would i go about sending the digital signal from the Pi to the Mojo?

I'm getting some clicks over USB sounds like the Wifi as its only while the Wifi is in heavy use. I don't think I got the stock cable when I bought my mojo so your results may vary.

The Digi+ from Hifiberry will give you an optical out

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #20,714 of 42,765

Some possibilities:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=raspberry&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=784602&advanced=1

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #20,715 of 42,765
How did we end up writing about fruit pies? pmsl 

What? Fruit pies? yummy. Be messy plugging Mojo in to that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back