Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 25, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #20,491 of 42,765
Hello. Does anybody have tried this external PSU. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152000419424
Does it really improves the sound greatly?
Or any other suggestions about external PSU for a home use?
Thanks in advance.
. I cannot stress more firmly than this. I'm sorry for this my next response! Please do not use these external power supplies. If you do you maybe risking seriously damaging your Chord units and it will be on our shoulders to repair the mess they've caused. Companies that make these products are often not capable of analysing what they trying to achieve. Also the Companies producing these units will often propose that their power supplies can improve the performance of chords designs which is total nonsense. Therefore we strongly recomend you save your money and disregard the complete twaddle put about by these companies. After all had their engineering capabilities been good enough they would be producing complete products rather than just parisitising ours. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm annoyed it's because I am!

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #20,492 of 42,765
. I cannot stress more firmly than this. I'm sorry for this my next response! Please do not use these external power supplies. If you do you maybe risking seriously damaging your Chord units and it will be on our shoulders to repair the mess they've caused. Companies that make these products are often not capable of analysing what they trying to achieve. Also the Companies producing these units will often propose that their power supplies can improve the performance of chords designs which is total nonsense. Therefore we strongly recomend you save your money and disregard the complete twaddle put about by these companies. After all had their engineering capabilities been good enough they would be producing complete products rather than just parisitising ours. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm annoyed it's because I am!

Thanks for the warning @Mojo ideas 
redface.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #20,493 of 42,765
  For those of you running analog line out of the Mojo into a single ended amp, what male stereo 3.5mm to dual rca male cable are you using?

Love my Seismic Audio cables, mine is either 6 or 10 feet and is a nice thick blue cable. However it's incredibly light and flexible for how big it looks. Nothing like those Monoprice premium cables that will break everything you plug them into :wink:

Cost a bit under $10 shipped for the one cable i think.

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #20,497 of 42,765
Sorry for sounding Naive, there is alot to get through. I am curious, is there a problem when using Spotify with the Mojo?

Mojo won't have a problem with Spotify. It has no idea what Spotify is and that is not what Mojo's function is.

Mojo is a DAC. It will receive a digital bitstream and convert that sampled data to an analogue signal to output to headphones. If your source can play Spotify and output the digital bitstream then Mojo will see that bitstream and convert it.

Issues like "clicks" and noise are just picked up or heard through the Mojo, but the Mojo is certainly not the cause of these issues.

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #20,498 of 42,765

Hello. Does anybody have tried this external PSU. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152000419424
Does it really improves the sound greatly?
Or any other suggestions about external PSU for a home use?
Thanks in advance.

I happen to know someone who feels similarly about a related tangent of the above topic: www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/4830#post_10634257

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #20,499 of 42,765
  For those of you running analog line out of the Mojo into a single ended amp, what male stereo 3.5mm to dual rca male cable are you using?

Audio quest Evergreen for me

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQEV3R

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #20,501 of 42,765
I have the 1st gen* Kimber Kable and this is their curr-gen offering:

http://www.kimber.com/products/specialty/gqmini/cu/

*Ah, yes, KK's "Tonik":
(Cp) parallel capacitance: 52.0 pF @ 20 kHz
(Ls) series inductance: 0.772 µH @ 20 kHz
(Rdc) dc loop resistance: 0.055 Ω
(Xt) total reactance: 0.098 Ω @ 20 kHz
Frequency response ± 0.5 dB dc - 2.8 MHz

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #20,502 of 42,765

However I did read in a lot of posts about up-sampling. I read Rob saying stuff like let the Mojo do it, because it's more powerful than app software. I have no idea what that is about though: meaning I did not know the Mojo could up-sample.

It's difficult if you don't understand anything about digital filters or even digital-to-analog conversion. What's worse is that it is argued about even by experts. 

For the Mojo (and other Chord DACs) you want to have it receive bit perfect data. That is, you do not want any re- or up-sampling done by your computer before it sends the data to the Mojo. If you are playing a CD-quality (44.1 kHz 16-bit) file, you want the computer set to send out CD-quality data. If you are playing back high-res files, then you want the computer sending out the data at the same resolution as those files. If the computer is re-sampling, it will interfere with the Rob Watts' designed digital-to-analog conversion in his products, which is designed to be far superior to the re-sampling software built into Windows (and OSX).
If you are going to rerip your CD collection, you might wanna try Exact Audio Copy (EAC)...its said to bring the the best sound quality from you're CDs... Takes some time, though.
I am thinking about ripping my collection to wav instead of flac... But that will probably take even longer.
Oh and by the way, Mython pointed me to EAC... enough said
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

EAC might take longer, which is what I guess you're referring to, but the output file type wont affect the speed, nor the quality of the playback (unless your computer or software does something funny causing it to).

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #20,503 of 42,765

It's difficult if you don't understand anything about digital filters or even digital-to-analog conversion. What's worse is that it is argued about even by experts. 

For the Mojo (and other Chord DACs) you want to have it receive bit perfect data. That is, you do not want any re- or up-sampling done by your computer before it sends the data to the Mojo. If you are playing a CD-quality (44.1 kHz 16-bit) file, you want the computer set to send out CD-quality data. If you are playing back high-res files, then you want the computer sending out the data at the same resolution as those files. If the computer is re-sampling, it will interfere with the Rob Watts' designed digital-to-analog conversion in his products, which is designed to be far superior to the re-sampling software built into Windows (and OSX).

EAC might take longer, which is what I guess you're referring to, but the output file type wont affect the speed, nor the quality of the playback (unless your computer or software does something funny causing it to).

I didn't say I didn't understand digital filtering or D to A conversion. I said I had no idea the Mojo could upsample. (I think I know what you mean though about people not understanding up-sampling. I hear people saying how can you add sampling points? Anyway I never dug deep enough on the internet to learn how upsampling is accomplished.

Anyway I should add that I was extremely tired yesterday when answering those post about clicks. After the last post I made I put some music on to drift for a while before sleep. However I do not remember a single note: I was asleep instantly.

It got a bit bored because I was being misquoted. The last post I answered in reply to @Nitrile it was suggested I should try the JRiver trial. Whereas the post Nitrile wrote that in, was a reply to a post where I said I had JRiver on my PC. (It was included in the reply quote.) Nitrile wasn't the only one. I am sure they were trying to help though. Plus as I say I was exhausted out of my mind and definitely not thinking right.

The point was to try to interact because some of us have an issue with clicks. Thus we are all hoping for help.

I was talking about re-ripping my CDs. The software I use all the time for that job, I know nothing about its reputation for doing that job; Media Go. I suspect JRiver might be better at it, so I could use that and rip my CD's again. Or of course I could use EAC which Mython was kind enough to re-supply the link for. However I have not yet established how to get art-work for EAC ripped files, organised.

Yes I use bitperfect with JRiver. I'd recommend anyone using bitperfect. While sometimes it may not always be obvious the gain over DirectSound in quick A-B testing. It's easier to see the difference if you listen to DirectSound for a good while, and then bitperfect for a long while. It's pretty much instantaneous the difference. My best example for spotting how nitperfect improves sound, is playing DVD. E.g. I recently bought Star Trek: The Next Generation on blu-ray. My media player can run bitperfect sound. The voices when playing bitperfect are much more in their own defined space in the soundstage. It's crystal clear night and day difference. DirectSound makes it all flat and squashed up against the back wall.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #20,504 of 42,765
Currawong said:

Yeah I was referring to the process of riping taking longer.
P. S. Quoting complex posts is difficult on a phone... But my will was good :)

Cheers

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #20,505 of 42,765
  An hour back I hooked my Mojo to my PC and hit Play and there was no output. I usually hear a very faint hiss through my IE80 when the Mojo is in ON state. I was not hearing this hiss and I was concerned. I tried it with all my devices (PC, Fiio X3ii, iPhone 6), and nothing changed. I restarted it a couple of times and that didn’t help either.  But I did not give up just yet because, every time I connected one of the devices and tried to play, the Power ball always lit up.

Then I tried something but I am not certain if that was what fixed the problem. I switched the device off and then started to press and hold down 2 buttons at a time for 5-10 seconds. First the Power & Volume +, then Power & Volume – and then Volume + & Volume -.

Then I turned the device back on and I heard that faint hiss on my IE80. Then I connected it to my PC and hit Play and it works fine now.

From the time I made this above post, I have had the same issue repeat itself a few times. Mojo powers ON, Receives the Signal (the Power ball lights up), but does not output any signal through headphone output. Not just the music, there is literally no output into my IEM, because I usually hear a faint hiss on my IE80 when I connect it to the Mojo.

I figured, this happens whenever the Mojo has not been powered on for more than a day (>36Hrs). So in order to get it to work again, I need to Press and Hold Down the Power Button + One of the Volume Buttons, while the Mojo is in the OFF state. The issue is regardless of the source (iPhone 6, PC, Mac, Fiio X3ii).

Anyways, I have contacted the retailer for a replacement. However, wanted to check with @Rob Watts and @Mojo ideas, if this procedure of pressing and holding the Power Button+Volume Button is a form of device reset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back