Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 17, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #20,102 of 42,765
How long does the Mojo last when not plugged in after 7 months on the charger?

Hi @x RELIC x,

Please find hereafter my Mojo`s battery result. You were right: 7h45.

Test condition;

Load ETHER C: 23 Ohms
Volume: varying between the first double red and 4 dB/clicks down. This is in average around 3mA rms / 23 Ohms or less depending on music level
Audio data: USB
Listenning sessions: 2  (2h + 5h45)
Mojo switched Off: 3h between the two sessions

Mojo`s Led status:

Blue:         1h30min
Green:      5h35min
Red:             30min
Red blnking: 10min

Nota: My eyes didn`t see the yellow Led status.

What is your conclusion? Did I significantly damage the battery capacity by letting Mojo permanently on charge?
wink_face.gif

Anyway, to be honest I was expecting less.
For sure, those listenning with different gain headphones/levels may have different values since current can goes up to 250mA rms.
Now time for me to fully charge Mojo again.

beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #20,103 of 42,765
Hi @x RELIC x

Test condition;

Volume: varying between the first double red and 4 dB/clicks down. This is in average around 3mA rms / 23 Ohms or less depending on music level

Mojo`s Led status:

Blue:          1h30min
Green:       5h35min
Red:              30min
Red blnking: 10min

Nota: My eyes didn`t the yellow Led status.

What is your conclusion? Did I significantly damage the battery capacity by letting Mojo permanently on charge?:wink_face:
For sure, those listenning with different gain headphones/levels may have different values since current can goes up to 250mA.

:beerchug:
Nice I did the same, constatly looking for color change. In my case I EQ my Mojo, I want more bass impact, so I guess this might lower the use of the battery. 7.5 hrs max for me Mojo/phone/app/eq.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #20,104 of 42,765
Hi @x RELIC x

Test condition;

Mojo`s Led status:

Blue:         1h30min
Green:      5h35min
Red:             30min
Red blnking: 10min

Nota: My eyes didn`t see the yellow Led status.

What is your conclusion? Did I significantly damage the battery capacity by letting Mojo permanently on charge?:wink_face:
For sure, those listenning with different gain headphones/levels may have different values since current can goes up to 250mA rms.

:beerchug:  

Arpiben, Seems fine to me. :)

I was more curious as I've had a few device's batteries completely ruined from leaving them plugged in all the time (months on end). Chord has repeatedly said its fine to leave plugged in and they did have the battery made for them specifically for the Mojo with 'new battery tech' so, well, there you go. That and the battery charging management seems robust as well from what they've said.

Thank you for posting your results.

P.S. The ETHER C is 22 Ohms / 92 dB efficiency (not 23 Ohms :wink: ).

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #20,105 of 42,765
So I asked this question in the Hugo thread but I thought I might get some different answers here.

My current set-up is HD 800's - Schiit Valhalla 2 and a Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Would the Mojo work well as a full replacement for the Schiit gear in both a home and mobile set-up? I listen to music in probably an 80/20 split between home and mobile so the Mojo would be great for that but I don't want to lose any quality with my home set-up.

I was also looking at the Hugo but if the Mojo with its newer tech is actually better or close to the Hugo sound quality wise $600 seems much better than $1300 + even used.

From the few products i have tried from both chord and schiit, the Chord are better products by a mile.

The rave reviews you get from Mojo owners are mostly from IEM users. For headphones, Hugo would be better.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #20,106 of 42,765

@Arpiben, Seems fine to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was more curious as I've had a few device's batteries completely ruined from leaving them plugged in all the time (months on end). Chord has repeatedly said its fine to leave plugged in and they did have the battery made for them specifically for the Mojo with 'new battery tech' so, well, there you go. That and the battery charging management seems robust as well from what they've said.

Thank you for posting your results.

P.S. The ETHER C is 22 Ohms / 92 dB efficiency (not 23 Ohms
wink.gif
).

I was also curious and doubtful too.
Sorry for correcting the 22 ohms, it is 23 Ohms at least in official specs from Mrspeakers site.
Anyway it doesn`t matter at all. There was some confusion about this value...
wink.gif

Abstract:frowning2: edited previously pasted the wrong one sorry)
Specifications
  1. Weight: 390g (13.8oz)
  2. Frequency response: Yes*
  3. Efficiency: 92dB/mW
  4. Impedance: 23 ohms

Cheers
L3000.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #20,107 of 42,765
The rave reviews you get from Mojo owners are mostly from IEM users. For headphones, Hugo would be better.

Hmmm... you appear to be stating that as an outright fact

On what basis do you draw that conclusion?

Hugo and Mojo both have the same power output, both have the same fundamental DAC code, except for the WTA section, and both are used, by various users, for IEMs/CIEMs/Cans

Clearly, Audeze haven't drawn the same conclusion as you, and whilst I respect your personal opinion, I'm inclined to think they do not agree with an outright statement that Mojo is better for IEMs than for cans:

From the Audeze Sine thread. Nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793518/audeze-sine-series/1350#post_12629669
We use it all the time..even for testing internally. It sounds awesome.

Personally, I like Mojo and I also like Hugo (I think I slightly prefer Hugos sound signature, but it's a close-run thing, and if I A-B'd them at some point in the future, a change of mind may, or may not, occur, but it wouldn't be on the basis of which is better-suited to driving cans, as I consider them both equally capable. TT is a different matter, since it incorporates a super-capacitor and a few other changes)

Some related posts from Rob Watts (listed in post #3):

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/630#post_12000442
www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/5100#post_12079497

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #20,108 of 42,765
Hey there,

For all of you interested in an alternative source, I an say that many of us seem to underestimate the smartphone. I can honestly say that I went back to my ASUS PADFONE S PLUS as source, after I tried an odroid c1+ running volumio 1.55.
I have to say that I did not use it in an ideal setup. I use Ifi Ipower as power subly and use wlan for control only, to playback files stored on an attached USB drive. At first I was enthusiastic because of the gained clarity. BUT after more intense A/B ing I recognized that the clarity came with the price of less bass performance.
I quess I can try to address this with ether a jitterbug when using the Ifi or go with a battery to power the odroid. The other important issue will be the way the odroid accesses the files. Using Ethernet connection would also allow to kill wlan. Another option might be to use a bigger system SD a d expander it to play files from there. So I will test some more, but I can say that the smartphone seems to be a better source than many think, especially when you take the user experience in account. I will report back when I tweaked the odroid further and will finaly conclude if the odroid in portable configuration is a real step up compared to my phone, without the downsides I am currently still experiencing.

Cheers

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #20,109 of 42,765

Hugo and Mojo both have the same power output, both have the same fundamental DAC code, except for the WTA section, and both are used, by various users, for IEMs/CIEMs/Cans

Clearly, Audeze haven't drawn the same conclusion as you, and whilst I respect your personal opinion, I'm inclined to think they do not agree with an outright statement that Mojo is better for IEMs than for cans:

Personally, I like Mojo and I also like Hugo (I think I slightly prefer Hugos sound signature, but it's a close-run thing, and if I A-B'd them at some point in the future, a change of mind may, or may not, occur, but it wouldn't be on the basis of which is better-suited to driving cans, as I consider them both equally capable. TT is a different matter, since it incorporates a super-capacitor and a few other changes)

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/630#post_12000442
www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/5100#post_12079497

I forgot to mention it was imo.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #20,110 of 42,765

I forgot to mention it was imo.

Wasn't trying to make you look bad - just need to be careful when guiding people's purchase decisions with outright statements.

personal opinions acknowledged, I'm still curious: why do you specifically feel that Hugo is better than Mojo for driving cans?  (aside from the obvious 1/8" vs 1/4" jacks)

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #20,111 of 42,765
  Those who want to be 100% sure about their chargers behavior, may purchase an USB multimeter for around 10 USD or even lower.

With Mojo Off, the current from charger should be around 0.9A when fully charging.
With Mojo Off, Fully charged (white led Off) the current from charger should be around 0.2A (0.14 A)
With Mojo Off, Final charge step (hiss + white led) the current from charger should be lower than 0.6A

Cheers.

Confirmed :wink:

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #20,113 of 42,765

Awaiting for your constant output charger, you may also try charging your Mojo with an USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 computer output.
If such, do not use any boost/fast charge ports or application and you will have enough current.
Rgds

Can't find a consistent output charger, I don't think such a thing exists. I am pretty sure chargers do not force maximum amount of current consistently and let the device control how much current, so I am assuming it's not the problem with the charger and something with Mojo limiting the amount of current at different stages of charging. Maybe fully charging and playing at the same time creates too much heat.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #20,114 of 42,765

Awaiting for your constant output charger, you may also try charging your Mojo with an USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 computer output.
If such, do not use any boost/fast charge ports or application and you will have enough current.
Rgds

Can't find a consistent output charger, I don't think such a thing exists. I am pretty sure chargers do not force maximum amount of current consistently and let the device control how much current, so I am assuming it's not the problem with the charger and something with Mojo limiting the amount of current at different stages of charging. Maybe fully charging and playing at the same time creates too much heat.

No, I wasn't referring to a charger 'forcing' current (Mojo will only draw as much current from a charger as it wants to draw) but perhaps the charger restricting the amount of current it is willing to supply, to a level lower than what Mojo wants/needs.

Again; I am not stating this to be a definite fact. It is a hypothesis previously suggested by someone else (who was also careful to point-out that they were not claiming it to be a definite fact), but the suggestion seems plausible. The charger might restrict current 'intelligently' if it is designed to sense a change in current-draw, or voltage, of the device battery being charged, or it might, perhaps, restrict current if the charger itself is getting too hot.

By all means, if anyone definitely knows, for a fact, that the above hypothesis is incorrect, then I am happy for them to tell me that 
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #20,115 of 42,765

No, I wasn't referring to a charger 'forcing' current (Mojo will only draw as much current from a charger as it wants to draw) but perhaps the charger restricting the amount of current it is willing to supply, to a level lower than what Mojo wants/needs.

Again; I am not stating this to be a definite fact. It is a hypothesis previously suggested by someone else (who was also careful to point-out that they were not claiming it to be a definite fact), but the suggestion seems plausible. The charger might restrict current 'intelligently' if it is designed to sense a change in current-draw, or voltage, of the device battery being charged, or it might, perhaps, restrict current if the charger itself is getting too hot.

By all means, if anyone definitely knows, for a fact, that the above hypothesis is incorrect, then I am happy for them to tell me that 
beerchug.gif

Maybe...^^ I don't have enough knowledge on this subject, so can't comment on technicality. My charger is just an authentic 5V 2A samsung charger that I charge my phone with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back