Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 16, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #20,071 of 42,765
@Traveller, install asio plugin foobar, select chord asio driver as output and you are ready for bit perfect output ( need to disable replay gain too in foobar ) . now you can disable all sound devices in sound mixer. even if you don't disable there will not be any change in volume by any volume slider in sound mixer. similarly chord asio can be selected as output in j river . asio4all won't disable volume control in sound mixer as far as I know. chord's own asio driver is the part of the mojo Windows driver which automatically installs both chord asio and mojo as a device in your pc. these asio drivers are dedicated drivers and do much more than you can think. these allow to send to mojo the maximum bit depth supported ( or even maximum sample rate to in hqplayer ) , establish asynchronous connection , bypass all windows processes etc. for music I have never used wasapi . for movies in vlc player there is no asio support. jriver allows even for movies asio as output.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #20,072 of 42,765
asio is the most direct connection to mojo. you don't even need to set any native windows sample rate. I even disable all sounds in sound mixer and even mojo as a device in sound mixer because asio does not need any intervention from Windows. via asio it is direct connection between foobar ( or any other interface) and mojo.

Thanks for your feedback! Its amazing that there's not more support for ASIO around here (HeadFi, not this thread) - all my searches ended up with WASAPI users.
I hope to find an expert (maybe you?
wink.gif
) that could eventually provide Mython with good content for "Post 3" on how to best "feed" the Mojo Bit-Perfect data from a Windows setup (Foobar2000 or Jriver), what the pros / cons between ASIO and WASAPI (Push and Event modes) as well as Direct Sound are, how to configure the few options for each, etc.
The only comment I read is that ASIO is better in terms of DPC latency (stuttering, pauses and drop-outs during real-time streams, such as digital audio playback). In my (limited) experience with WASAPI so far I had a surprising pause (or drop-out) say, once during 60mins of continuous playback. This while I was busy surfing etc. I can live with that but I can imagine there could be cases where others experience it a few times during one song - that would be unacceptable.
I will install the ASIO component in Foobar2000 and give that a whirl too, at the very least to avoid a fixed bit-depth setting
beerchug.gif

Regarding the install, what "virtual Device Driver" are you using? Did one come automatically with Chord's "Mojo Windows Driver" executable or do I need to rely on something like ASIO4ALL?

Guys, see this post of mine I made a few weeks back. @Traveller, I don't get the dropouts, but I do get those loud pops/clicks when I seek within a track.
@rkt31, I am trying to avoid using ASIO because it seems to sound dull. So I am sticking with WASAPI, even though I get those loud pops. Do you know why ASIO is not sounding as good as WASAPI? Do I need to change any setting?

Keywords: Loud Pop | Foobar2000 | FB2K | WASAPI | Loud Pop | Loud Click | Seek Bar | Seeking | Windows 7

Talking about Loud Pops: I am using Foobar2000 on my Windows 7 machine with the WASAPI component / plugin. I get loud pops when I try to seek within a track using the seek bar, I get loud pops/clicks. After a bit of research and experimentation, I figured I get the loud pop, only when I use the WASAPI component. When I switch the output to Windows Default or ASIO, I don’t get the loud pop. ASIO seems to mute the first 0.5 seconds, after seeking which I am guessing is a way to prevent this loud pop or click. Please let me know if there is a way to prevent this loud pop when using WASAPI.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #20,073 of 42,765
Anyone have a problem with the charging? I plug mine overnight with 5V 2A charger and it will just flash after 6 hours for example. and the white light will eventually disappear. It charged up normally, but I thought white flashing means not enough wattage which doesn't make sense because it is constant white--> blinking white after some hours.

Also, charging while playing will give white flash after some time and give something like green white green white etc. Pulling charger out shows green status and putting it back in shows constant white (charging normally). I always play charge/play mine in an air conditioned room, so no heat problem here.

The blinking is no way that it is finished charging or insufficient wattage because it was blinking at green status and I provided 5V 2A.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #20,074 of 42,765
  Anyone have a problem with the charging? I plug mine overnight with 5V 2A charger and it will just flash after 6 hours for example. and the white light will eventually disappear. It charged up normally, but I thought white flashing means not enough wattage which doesn't make sense because it is constant white--> blinking white after some hours.

Also, charging while playing will give white flash after some time and give something like green white green white etc. Pulling charger out shows green status and putting it back in shows constant white (charging normally). I always play charge/play mine in an air conditioned room, so no heat problem here.

The blinking is no way that it is finished charging or insufficient wattage because it was blinking at green status and I provided 5V 2A.

Not 100% confirmed, but some chargers apparently may be lowering their output, when they think they sense that the battery is approaching full-charge, so please try a charger that definitely maintains a constant current output.

With regards to the newer wall chargers from major phone brands, I've noticed majority will drop to trickle charge when they "sense" that the battery is reaching full charge.
Usually you will notice most mobiles will charge quite quickly up to about 80-90% and then take like forever to top off the rest. I'm guessing this is the reason why some users are reporting slightly longer charge times.

This is of course my own opinion and experience.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #20,075 of 42,765
BTW, before I go, I've been meaning to ask readers of this thread - are any of you using a Lotoo PAW 5000 with Mojo?

I don't see the PAW 5000 mentioned much, nor the Soundaware Esther.

From what I can gather, the Esther has some serious firmware quirks, but allegedly has a particularly well-implemened digital-output.

Interested to hear from any of you with any experience of either DAP, from a digital-output (i.e. used as a transport-only) standpoint.

I have the esther m1pro and as a digital transport (coax) to the mojo it's the best I've heard mojo sound (to se846). That's in comparison to laptop (optical), s7 (usb), x5ii (coax) and qp1r (optical). I said on another thread that the sound feels more 'alive' with the esther and can't really think of another word to use. The only issue with the esther is that it's silver (purely aesthetics) and there is no case available for protecting it. Otherwise it would be an end game portable rig and probably still is.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #20,076 of 42,765
Those who want to be 100% sure about their chargers behavior, may purchase an USB multimeter for around 10 USD or even lower.

With Mojo Off, the current from charger should be around 0.9A when fully charging.
With Mojo Off, Fully charged (white led Off) the current from charger should be around 0.2A (0.14 A)
With Mojo Off, Final charge step (hiss + white led) the current from charger should be lower than 0.6A

Cheers.

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #20,079 of 42,765
  BTW, before I go, I've been meaning to ask readers of this thread - are any of you using a Lotoo PAW 5000 with Mojo?

I don't see the PAW 5000 mentioned much, nor the Soundaware Esther.

From what I can gather, the Esther has some serious firmware quirks, but allegedly has a particularly well-implemened digital-output.

Interested to hear from any of you with any experience of either DAP, from a digital-output (i.e. used as a transport-only) standpoint.

Just read the whole  Esther thread, and I see what you mean by firmware quirks, but at least it seems to be a fairly mature product now. Pity that the M1 Studio is not yet available.

Maybe this member can provide some feedback about using the DAP as a transport only.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/750875/she-is-esther-m1-m1pro-new-firmware-released/930#post_12722915

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #20,081 of 42,765
  Those who want to be 100% sure about their chargers behavior, may purchase an USB multimeter for around 10 USD or even lower.

With Mojo Off, the current from charger should be around 0.9A when fully charging.
With Mojo Off, Fully charged (white led Off) the current from charger should be around 0.2A (0.14 A)
With Mojo Off, Final charge step (hiss + white led) the current from charger should be lower than 0.6A

Cheers.

Adding the following in case of desktop usage with charger permanently plugged...

With Mojo Off fully charged, the standby current is around 0.14 A / 5V.

1. Switching On Mojo and listen to it through USB / ETHER C the charger will not provide more current for around 1H30 (my unit).
    It stays at 0.14A and then starts charging again at 0.7A with Mojo On (or 0.9A if Mojo is Off)

2. Switching On Mojo as well as unplugging/plugging the charger.
    It triggers the charge cycle again without `delay` with same current values as above.

No worries to have. 
I remind that according to Rob, it is completely safe to let the charger plugged permanently.
For stats, my Mojo has been permanently plugged for 7 months now.

The behavior I mentioned above was differently pointed out in excellent post#3,  Battery&Charger / Is it alright to leave Mojo plugged 24H/7d

Point 1:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts 

Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.
Rob

Point 2:

There was a post from an head-fier describing how to trigger/force the charge cycle in desktop usage.
Sorry, my mistake not retrieving it.

Rgds

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #20,082 of 42,765
No worries to have. 
I remind that according to Rob, it is completely safe to let the charger plugged permanently.
For stats, my Mojo has been permanently plugged for 7 months now.

How long does the Mojo last when not plugged in after 7 months on the charger?

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #20,084 of 42,765
I will answer tomorrow, time to sleep in my area now.
Anyway, I am expecting 4-5 hours...
Bye

You should expect 8-10, 7 would be on the low end although I've seen reports of 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back