Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 25, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #19,141 of 42,765
Due to all the sample rates etc, does mojo sound even better than how im using it now? Streaming Tidal hifi through uapp currently but does mojo sound even better than what im hearing as you go up through sample rates and bit rates etc?

Loving this colourful black box... ye i know..

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #19,142 of 42,765
Due to all the sample rates etc, does mojo sound even better than how im using it now? Streaming Tidal hifi through uapp currently but does mojo sound even better than what im hearing as you go up through sample rates and bit rates etc?

Loving this colourful black box... ye i know..

All of Rob's current DACs sound genuinely excellent, even with 16/44.1 (I'm not saying that to be sycophantic or fanboy-ish - Rob's WTA filtering, and other methods, genuinely do make 16/44.1 sound noticeably impressive).

The biggest influence upon how good Mojo sounds, when being fed a bit-perfect digital source signal (by which I mean no Android software upsampling or EQ interfering with the purity of the digital signal encoded in the digital music file) is how well-recorded the original performance is, and how well-mastered the track was, in the studio.

Higher-res files than 16/44.1 Redbook can potentially improve SQ somewhat, but not to the same degree of significance as the recording and mastering quality, so that should be what you aim your attention for, first & foremost, when buying music to play on Mojo.

In other words, if it's badly-recorded and/or badly-mastered, then creating a higher-resolution file from that source track is not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!  Garbage-In, Garbage Out, etc. etc.

But how highly-compressed the music is, is also a factor (i.e. is it in a lossless, or lossy codec?):

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/16500#post_12525696

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #19,143 of 42,765
All of Rob's current DACs sound genuinely excellent, even with 16/44.1 (I'm not saying that to be sycophantic or fanboy-ish - Rob's WTA filtering, and other methods, genuinely do make 16/44.1 sound noticeably impressive).

The biggest influence upon how good Mojo sounds, when being fed a bit-perfect digital source signal (by which I mean no software Android software upsampling or EQ interfering with the purity of the digital signal encoded in the digital music file) is how well-recorded the original performance is, and how well-mastered the track was, in the studio.

Higher-res files than 16/44.1 Redbook can potentially improve SQ somewhat, but not to the same degree of significance as the recording and mastering quality, so that should be what you aim your attention for, first & foremost, when buying music to play on Mojo.

In other words, if it's badly-recorded and/or badly-mastered, then creating a higher-resolution file from that source track is not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!  Garbage-In, Garbage Out, etc. etc.
right ok, cheers for that.

I will look into finding well mastered tracks/albums

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #19,144 of 42,765
good point..and it is something i also asked in the tidal lossless forum.

I mean, sure, tidal can offer hi fi cd quality bitstreaming (and i subscribe to it)
but what if the sources used are not the latest remastered better recordings?  
you listen to alot of stuff from 10-20 yrs and it sound dull and compressed...
vs today where i find in general the music can sound clearer and more detailed.

so in other words:
here's hoping tidal will keep on updating their music with better 'remastered' releases to diminish
that 'garbage in, garbage out' component.

Quote:

The biggest influence upon how good Mojo sounds, when being fed a bit-perfect digital source signal (by which I mean no software Android software upsampling or EQ interfering with the purity of the digital signal encoded in the digital music file) is how well-recorded the original performance is, and how well-mastered the track was, in the studio.

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #19,145 of 42,765
For anyone who happens to have missed it, Rob Watts is also working on a greatly-improved ADC (project name 'Davina'), which may help some record labels remaster their analogue tapes to a higher digital quality than their current digital masters of those tapes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/12630#post_12403042

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #19,146 of 42,765
  Has anyone had a problem connecting the mojo to an iphone 4(using CCK 30 pin adapter)?

I bought the mojo from another headfier many months ago and at that time the connection was ok between the mojo and the iphone 4.

I'm not sure why since more than a month ago I can't connect the mojo to the same iphone anymore, it says not supported or something like that when I plug the cable in.

I know that it is an old phone for todays standard and it might be the reason why it is causing this problem, however both the mojo and the iphone can connect to my pc perfectly, so I figured I should ask around.

I will need the mojo for commute everyday in like 2 weeks due to moving office location, so I really want this fixed, else I need to find another way to get a good source for my music on the go.

I also post this in the issue and solution thread, but might as well ask here too

I haven't checked back but I think people have had problems with all the adaptors/cables required to interface Mojo to an iOS device.  It's obviously the result of Apple's draconian closed system approach and their refusal to allow a USB port out from iOS devices. It is for sure not the Mojo that is the problem, and it's not the age of the iPhone.   If you know anyone who has the same 30-pin CCK connector you might borrow theirs and see if it works for you--some connectors fail completely and others work intermittantly.  Rebooting the phone often works,  You should read the 3rd post!

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #19,147 of 42,765

Quote:
  Has anyone had a problem connecting the mojo to an iphone 4(using CCK 30 pin adapter)?

I bought the mojo from another headfier many months ago and at that time the connection was ok between the mojo and the iphone 4.

I'm not sure why since more than a month ago I can't connect the mojo to the same iphone anymore, it says not supported or something like that when I plug the cable in.

I know that it is an old phone for todays standard and it might be the reason why it is causing this problem, however both the mojo and the iphone can connect to my pc perfectly, so I figured I should ask around.

I will need the mojo for commute everyday in like 2 weeks due to moving office location, so I really want this fixed, else I need to find another way to get a good source for my music on the go.

I also post this in the issue and solution thread, but might as well ask here too

I haven't checked back but I think people have had problems with all the adaptors/cables required to interface Mojo to an iOS device.  It's obviously the result of Apple's draconian closed system approach and their refusal to allow a USB port out from iOS devices. It is for sure not the Mojo that is the problem, and it's not the age of the iPhone.   If you know anyone who has the same 30-pin CCK connector you might borrow theirs and see if it works for you--some connectors fail completely and others work intermittantly.  Rebooting the phone often works,  You should read the 3rd post!

Mmmm.. there are some reports of CCK issues, and that certainly could be a possible cause, but it is also possible for some people to damage Mojos micro-USB port, if they don't take sufficient care to avoid the cable plug from exerting too much leverage, whilst the stack is used, for weeks and months on end, in a bag or pocket. That's a heck of a lot of force to apply to a small socket soldered to a printed circuit board.

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #19,148 of 42,765
Is it possible to bypass the Mojo's battery and use an external power supply?

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #19,150 of 42,765
Is it possible to bypass the Mojo's battery and use an external power supply?

A battery power source in almost every case means perfectly clean power that is free from interference. U forget where I heard that from but battery is always better for pure quality.

It's not ideal in some cases where battery life diminishes.

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #19,154 of 42,765
I don't currently have a Mojo (definitely will do, again, at some point).

Whilst I had Mojo, I was listening with FutureSonics MG6 Pro (which, frankly, did not come anywhere close to doing Mojo justice).

I also used Mojo for some time through my fullsize system, with a 1990s Linsley-Hood amp and home-built loudspeakers (Dynaudio and Scanspeak drive-units, in an isobaric configuration). This sounded very nice indeed!  I had intended to feed my Arcam CD player into Mojo, too, but didn't have a suitable 3.5mm-terminated co-ax cable at the time.

So, in both the above instances, I was using my Asus laptop as source.

I had a Hugo on-loan, a couple of years ago (along with a Sony ZX1 - thankyou, Paul), and I did not notice any difference in SQ when feeding the Hugo with my Asus laptop vs feeding it with the ZX1.

As for Hugo vs Mojo, if you put a gun to my head, and told me I had to choose between the two DACs, I think I marginally prefer Hugo, but it's a close-run thing!

Only the WTA filter is different, the rest of the audio path has Hugo code.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back