Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 12, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #15,796 of 42,765
Out of curiosity, how does Mr Rob Watt's DAC design deal with the issues of "pre ringing" and "post ringing"?

The DACs using off the shelf DAC chips use digital filters -- minimum phase and apodising I recall -- to decrease ringing. How about Mojo/Hugo/2Qute/DAVE?

Take a look at the Dave thread too I have been talking about it there today.

I see you are in Singapore, I will be there on 23 April from 1pm to 5 at the Adelphi #01-10 with AV one. I will be talking about Mojo and Dave, and there will be plenty of time to talk about other things such as ringing and other things I am working on.

Rob

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #15,797 of 42,765
Looking forward to this, Mr Watts!

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #15,798 of 42,765
This will be my last post here as i am in process of obtaining a review sample. Will write my further findings there. Also ppl are too defensive here and dont intend to disturb natural order here.

My point is, anything thats not music, be it shifting of chair, chatter from public, cough etc is reproduced with startling clarity in mojo.

But i think it almost starts taking center stage, beside music performance. This i find a bit unnatural. Cause obviously its minor sound and should be in background. This happened to me in most recordings. So no need for a list.

I will review it and then take final call. Maybe i will find it different on longer listen. I have no doubt mojo is excellent in what it does well.

Cheers

Hi, I'm not trying to be defensive here but it could be that the reproduction quality of the Mojo in extracting detail is the double edged sword. Because all the details you're hearing that wouldn't be normally heard is now presented to you with such clarity that they seem to be upstaging the music.
I totally understand that because there have been times when I'm listening to a familiar song and then I hear some details that I've not heard before and it "distracts" me from the song. I try my other gear and the detail is there but like you said, it's in the backgroun which I've not noticed prior to the Mojo.
So in that respect, it is a good and bad thing and I believe it's up to the preference of the listener then
Just my 2cents

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #15,799 of 42,765

Enjoying the **** out of my Mojo but I got a concern..

My battery has gotten to the point of playing back about 4 hours from full blue charge to dead.
I bought this from e-earphone IIRC? Do they handle that stuff or does Chord? I love it and am not gonna bitch...**** happens...but any guidance via PM or otherwise would be cool
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #15,800 of 42,765
Hi, I'm not trying to be defensive here but it could be that the reproduction quality of the Mojo in extracting detail is the double edged sword. Because all the details you're hearing that wouldn't be normally heard is now presented to you with such clarity that they seem to be upstaging the music.
I totally understand that because there have been times when I'm listening to a familiar song and then I hear some details that I've not heard before and it "distracts" me from the song. I try my other gear and the detail is there but like you said, it's in the backgroun which I've not noticed prior to the Mojo.
So in that respect, it is a good and bad thing and I believe it's up to the preference of the listener then
Just my 2cents

Great. I agree with you.

@ Rob Watts Recommending me a 600$ hp like nobody's business eh? :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #15,802 of 42,765
  Hey fellow head-fiers

I'm considering buying the Mojo, but would like to hear about people with my headphones/equipment about synergy:

- Nad Viso HP50
- Hifiman HE-400
- Shure SE846
- Fostex TH-X00 (didn't arrived yet)

I'm using as DAC/AMP right now:

- LH Labs Geek Out 720
- DX90

Did someone switch from the Geek Out or DX90 to Mojo with one ore more of my headphones?

Thanks

Hey folks

since nobody answered:
Does anyone use Mojo with one of these headphones?
Did anyone compare Mojo to my DAC/DAP?

Thanks

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #15,804 of 42,765
I use it with my Fostex Th900. Not the same, but similar. Sounds amazing. Best I've ever heard my headphones sound. Couldn't be happier with that setup.
plus EQ.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #15,806 of 42,765
There has been a lot of discussion regarding computational power of DACs and how DACs with more computational power produce a more resolved resolute sound, something like comparing a 720p video vs a 4k video.  Does the Mojo have more computational power than the Hugo?

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #15,807 of 42,765

Hey fellow head-fiers

I'm considering buying the Mojo, but would like to hear about people with my headphones/equipment about synergy:

- Nad Viso HP50
- Hifiman HE-400
- Shure SE846
- Fostex TH-X00 (didn't arrived yet)

I'm using as DAC/AMP right now:

- LH Labs Geek Out 720
- DX90

Did someone switch from the Geek Out or DX90 to Mojo with one ore more of my headphones?

Thanks

Hey folks

since nobody answered:
Does anyone use Mojo with one of these headphones?
Did anyone compare Mojo to my DAC/DAP?

Thanks

I have the SE846's with the Mojo and a Geek Out 450. I love all three immensely. I favor the Mojo over the Geek out but both have their appeal. But the 846 Mojo combo is golden.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #15,808 of 42,765
Does anyone here use their Mojo as an external PC sound card? I understand that the battery can tolerate this, but wonder if long term desktop use is recommended. I tend to leave the Mojo plugged into a the PC by a USB lead borrowed from my Kindle.

I used to own a Hugo which seemed to introduce noticeable latency causing slight loss of lip sync when watching movies, but Mojo lacks this 'attribute'. If Mojo is not recommended as a general desktop solution, there's 2qute but this would need to be a big improvement over Mojo to justify the price and this is unlikely given the use of Hugo's innards.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #15,809 of 42,765

Enjoying the **** out of my Mojo but I got a concern..

My battery has gotten to the point of playing back about 4 hours from full blue charge to dead.
I bought this from e-earphone IIRC? Do they handle that stuff or does Chord? I love it and am not gonna bitch...**** happens...but any guidance via PM or otherwise would be cool
beerchug.gif

Your comment on battery life is worrying, but not unexpected.

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #15,810 of 42,765
Recently bought a Mojo as well- using it with my B&W P7 and as an external sound card for my PC/amp for my Galaxy S7 Edge.
I am looking into buying a quality pair of IEMs- my budget is around £200.

I'd be very grateful if you can suggest a couple of options, preferably based on your experience in terms of what works beautifully with the Mojo (even though almost everything does- an amazing little thing, really!);

Cheers guys!
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back