Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 12, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #15,781 of 42,765
This will be my last post here as i am in process of obtaining a review sample. Will write my further findings there. Also ppl are too defensive here and dont intend to disturb natural order here.

My point is, anything thats not music, be it shifting of chair, chatter from public, cough etc is reproduced with startling clarity in mojo.

But i think it almost starts taking center stage, beside music performance. This i find a bit unnatural. Cause obviously its minor sound and should be in background. This happened to me in most recordings. So no need for a list.

I will review it and then take final call. Maybe i will find it different on longer listen. I have no doubt mojo is excellent in what it does well.

Cheers

Have you considered that the Mojo is enabling playback of sounds that are on the recording, better than any previous DACs you have heard? Just a thought, not saying it's the case.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #15,782 of 42,765
I had not seen any mention here yet of using an Audioquest Jitterbug  inline with the Mojo when using the Mojo with a computer. I have been listening this way for a week now and I have convinced myself that the Jitterbug makes a noticeable improvement to the sound, I don't mind believing this and I wonder if anyone else has come to a similar conclusion?

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #15,783 of 42,765
I had not seen any mention here yet of using an [COLOR=1F3671]Audioquest Jitterbug [/COLOR] inline with the Mojo when using the Mojo with a computer. I have been listening this way for a week now and I have convinced myself that the Jitterbug makes a noticeable improvement to the sound, I don't mind believing this and I wonder if anyone else has come to a similar conclusion?

elnero tried the jitterbug and found it to add an edge to the music that he didn't like.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/15145

When talking about 'improvement' I think the better term may be 'preference', especially when not describing what differences are heard. Still a fan aangen.

:beerchug:

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #15,784 of 42,765
Have you considered that the Mojo is enabling playback of sounds that are on the recording, better than any previous DACs you have heard? Just a thought, not saying it's the case.

I agree i am hearing new sounds. But...

Using hd700 with average system like x5-ican, i am hardly deprived for detail. If anything, i tone down detail by using tube amp. It has nothing to do with brightness, x5 and mojo both control hd700 treble suitably.

If i want this much detail, i would prefer properly cooked. Well spaced and some feel of depth. Like i mentioned in my previous post.

Otherwise i think mojo is fantastic.

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #15,785 of 42,765
  I had not seen any mention here yet of using an Audioquest Jitterbug  inline with the Mojo when using the Mojo with a computer. I have been listening this way for a week now and I have convinced myself that the Jitterbug makes a noticeable improvement to the sound, I don't mind believing this and I wonder if anyone else has come to a similar conclusion?

I am using one & there is a noticeable difference. What I have noticed is that it's effect seems greater running a usb extender (such as a AQ dragontail), in line too i.e. dragontail, jitterbug, mojo. Out of curiosity I added a second in the only other usb port on my MB Air (same bus). The effect of a second is minimal in my opinion. It's certainly made me interested in trying the Schiit Wyrd at some point.    

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #15,786 of 42,765
Hi! First post here. Wow, what a thread I must say!
The reason I'm writing here is because I'm about get a Mojo for personal use mostly, but I'm playing in a band and we're using in-ear minitoring, so I'm wondering if I can use it to connect from a mixer (AUX-output XLR) to the Mojo somehow. I assume it would be analog to digital since Mojo doesn't have an analog input, does that even work??

Link to mixer:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR18

Thanks!

Short answer: No. Digital source only. If you're already in the analog domain, you don't need a DAC.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #15,787 of 42,765
In todays version of Mojo's believe it or not...

I generally leave Mojo on my desk during night time and listen to my desktop rig. I figure since I am not moving around I would plug in and depending on my mood, break out the transducer that I like hearing based on what sound I like with the type music being played. Last night I was a bit tired so I decided to lay down earlier than normal, but was still wanting to lull myself to sleep with some music.

I made a first time pairing and here are the results (like it or not, here it comes)

Nexus 5>UAPP>Mojo>Shure E5C

I have owned the E5C's for 12 years now. they have been my go to mobile transducers for a majority of the time, although they have seen duty as an earpiece for my work radio (worked a few warped tours and music festivals in the city where I was a fireman for 20 + years and the E5Cs allowed me to hear radio communications and block sound in the ear that had no signal) I have always been fond of the sound they produced and how neutral / flat they sounded (no bass head here). the only drawback that I could identify was the soundstage was very compact and focused into my skull.

This all changed last night with Mojo in the chain.

the sound stage bloomed to what I can only describe as a halo of sound not only in my head, but all around it also. the bass was a bit more rich (no heavy slap or thump, but a definite perception of depth in the bass region compared to the past) mids and highs were crisp and tight with just enough forward presence to be noticed, but not dominant.

all in all my 12 year old IEMs came alive and I was left wondering... Was the change real, or perceived? of course at that point I got up and started mixing all the mobile devices I had with and without Mojo in the chain.

Result... According to my ears and not getting done listening till 2am is that Mojo and her magic has given new life to my 12 year old IEMs and have now elevated them to being my lay down at night listening choice (sorry distributors I am not buying any new IEMs like planned until my old faithful E5Cs can sing no more)

this has been my latest installment of Mojos believe it or not... as always my opinion and not intended to undercut anyone elses

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #15,788 of 42,765

@elnero tried the jitterbug and found it to add an edge to the music that he didn't like.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/15145

When talking about 'improvement' I think the better term may be 'preference', especially when not describing what differences are heard. Still a fan @aangen.

beerchug.gif

I am somewhat fearful of trying to describe what I believe the improvement to be. I don't want to drop some cliche i.e "a veil is lifted" (it has) but it seems clean has become cleaner, Separation more separate. There is a bit more there there. (all Cliche'd out)
I have been thinking about what has happened to me in the last month listening to the Mojo on my computer for hours each day. I believe I am spoiled, and devices that used to please me no longer do. But until I plugged the Jitterbug into the USB port, and then the USB cable from that into the Mojo I was never really TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by the Mojo. Now I am TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. Does the Jitterbug put it over the top? Could be. My search for the best sound is over, I've got it.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #15,789 of 42,765

Using hd700 with average system like x5-ican, i am hardly deprived for detail. If anything, i tone down detail by using tube amp. It has nothing to do with brightness, x5 and mojo both control hd700 treble suitably.

If i want this much detail, i would prefer properly cooked. Well spaced and some feel of depth. Like i mentioned in my previous post.

You would never, ever, ever say tone down the detail if you used a pair of AQ Nighthawks.

Remember also that a lot of recording engineers want to give the perspective that you are in the audience, so they close mike the crowd. With most recordings clapping will have little depth.

Rob

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #15,790 of 42,765
I am somewhat fearful of trying to describe what I believe the improvement to be. I don't want to drop some cliche i.e "a veil is lifted" (it has) but it seems clean has become cleaner, Separation more separate. There is a bit more there there. (all Cliche'd out)
I have been thinking about what has happened to me in the last month listening to the Mojo on my computer for hours each day. I believe I am spoiled, and devices that used to please me no longer do. But until I plugged the Jitterbug into the USB port, and then the USB cable from that into the Mojo I was never really TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by the Mojo. Now I am TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. Does the Jitterbug put it over the top? Could be. My search for the best sound is over, I've got it.

Thanks for the description. It helps me understand where you're coming from and what your sonic preferences are so I can relate.

:beerchug:

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #15,791 of 42,765

You would never, ever, ever say tone down the detail if you used a pair of AQ Nighthawks.

Remember also that a lot of recording engineers want to give the perspective that you are in the audience, so they close mike the crowd. With most recordings clapping will have little depth.

Rob

Rob have you any comments on the AQ Jitterbug? I'm just curious as I can be on your thoughts.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #15,792 of 42,765
Out of curiosity, how does Mr Rob Watt's DAC design deal with the issues of "pre ringing" and "post ringing"?

The DACs using off the shelf DAC chips use digital filters -- minimum phase and apodising I recall -- to decrease ringing. How about Mojo/Hugo/2Qute/DAVE?

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #15,793 of 42,765

Rob

I was also thinking a lot of influence is the mic placement or the mix.

One of my favourite tracks for testing detail level is Richard Thompson playing acoustic guitar in the track Tim and the Bears from the Grizzly Man Soundtrack. It's an open space with just a mic and Richard playing. It gives a great sense of the space and the resonance in the body of the acoustic guitar is stunning. In the CD recording (not this YouTube take) you can hear him shift in his chair, take a deep breath at a certain point, knock the body of his guitar with his hand. I've heard these things before on other gear, but through the Mojo it just sounds so damn real with everything in its proper place at the proper level. It's a short track, but the CD version offers so much.

Some times the best music is just the musician and a mic.

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HON1mt65m8k[/VIDEO]

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #15,794 of 42,765
 Rob have you any comments on the AQ Jitterbug? I'm just curious as I can be on your thoughts.

I certainly don't want to speak for Rob, but this earlier post of his may help, though not really specific to the Jitterbug:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11025#post_12330407

Users who are viewing this thread

Back