Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 30, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #8,806 of 10,828
Just check back to my original post lol as I'll just be editing that. Since you posted this, I added the common observation from literally everyone that the unit runs hot. Luckily as I am paranoid when it comes to batteries, I keep fridge gel packs to cool down my phone when fast charging, so I put one under the mojo.

So do you agree with my observations and find the same thing?

I don't have any proper headphones rn so I can't guess what your experiment will sound like. The iem used tonight was Yanyin x HBB Mahina, a $650 Chinese tribrid.
I wonder about heat and the Mojo2 also. i Have the official leather case. I’m hoping that doesn’t cause heat issues while using the Mojo 2 in a warm environment.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #8,807 of 10,828
I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations regarding the Chord Mojo 2 and the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire Closed regarding the Mojo’s two different power settings? i don’t have delivery of the headphones yet, but I am a little nervous about which power level to use. I want to avoid damaging the headphones. In a way I wish the Mojo 2 could store different settings instead of having set-up for different headphones For each use. I know get a life Jazz 1. :smile:

The Mojo and Mojo 2 have different light colours to show where in the volume range you are but it is only one big volume range there is no "power settings" or different gain setting.

You will probably find you will be well into the upper half of the range, anything less then double red will be very quiet, double dark blue is usually pretty loud. You need not worry about damaging the headphones with the Mojo 2, the Aeon Noire can cope with a lot more power than the Mojo 2 can manage even full volume. At full volume there will be some distortion but that is the Mojo struggling not the Aeon but that is at unsafe volume anyway.

To my ears the Aeon Noire are tonally excellent with the middle option black felt pads to cut a touch of sibilance. I would rather put the pads in than mess with setting on the Mojo 2 or EQ.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #8,808 of 10,828
I wonder about heat and the Mojo2 also. i Have the official leather case. I’m hoping that doesn’t cause heat issues while using the Mojo 2 in a warm environment.
no idea. i might get an infrared thermeter gun and see how warm the chassis gets and send an email to chord asking what is too much. I'm assuming the unit relies on its metal shell to dissipate heat.

i'm debating in my head whether to get a poly or not. as my first impressions of the mojo2 is that i'm probably going to keep it. the mojo isn't particularly "portable" imo anyway, it's kinda large and heavy, will be 2x as much with a poly.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #8,812 of 10,828
interesting product. first time i've heard of it. how does it work, technically? raising impedance?

the manufacturer website claims that "

It gives you

• better sound
  • increased dynamic range
  • reduced background hiss
  • clearer vocals"
er, they mean that as a byproduct of less background noise / hiss right?

It is my understanding that yes, it is increasing the impedance. It does work for eliminating hiss. I initially got it for my Fiio M15 since it has a relatively high output impedance, making it a questionable match for some IEMs. The rest of their claims just seem like marketing nonsense to me, or like you said, are implied byproducts of the primary function of removing hiss.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #8,813 of 10,828
The Mojo and Mojo 2 have different light colours to show where in the volume range you are but it is only one big volume range there is no "power settings" or different gain setting.

You will probably find you will be well into the upper half of the range, anything less then double red will be very quiet, double dark blue is usually pretty loud. You need not worry about damaging the headphones with the Mojo 2, the Aeon Noire can cope with a lot more power than the Mojo 2 can manage even full volume. At full volume there will be some distortion but that is the Mojo struggling not the Aeon but that is at unsafe volume anyway.

To my ears the Aeon Noire are tonally excellent with the middle option black felt pads to cut a touch of sibilance. I would rather put the pads in than mess with setting on the Mojo 2 or EQ.
Perfect advice! Keeping it simple works for me!

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #8,814 of 10,828
I was talking about general sound improvements in regards to refinement but the presentation sticks out as having more depth and “mic feed” quality. I think it’s those low level signals and timing accuracy that recreates the air and space in a recording.

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #8,815 of 10,828
interesting product. first time i've heard of it. how does it work, technically? raising impedance?

the manufacturer website claims that "

It gives you

• better sound
  • increased dynamic range
  • reduced background hiss
  • clearer vocals"
er, they mean that as a byproduct of less background noise / hiss right?
Technically, it divides the voltage, and their marketing is true, you can find more information in here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-ifi-ear-buddy-and-iematch.4707/

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #8,816 of 10,828
C to micro
OR
Small DAP use as digital transport with C to C or Micro

I strapped mine to my folded Galaxy Z Flip 5. :sweat_smile: USB C to C. This FrankenDAP is actually more convenient and stable than I thought it would be. (I had my display set to lower brightness)

Attachments

• 5545679066086201576.jpg
    5545679066086201576.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 0
  • -4572785229897957674.jpg
    -4572785229897957674.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #8,818 of 10,828
C to micro
OR
Small DAP use as digital transport with C to C or Micro
I thought only usb c was input and the micro USB was for power only?

USBC to USBC

I strapped mine to my folded Galaxy Z Flip 5. :sweat_smile: USB C to C. This FrankenDAP is actually more convenient and stable than I thought it would be. (I had my display set to lower brightness)
I think somewhere far back in this thread, there was talk of android phones usb audio not being "bit perfect" or still having been run through the phones own dac before sent out through usb c.

Is that true? Or does it depend on the phone.

USB C audio is a "line out" digital signal right? Like usb c headphones would have to be battery powered and have its amp circuit? Just don't want to accidentally damage anything when plugging...

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #8,819 of 10,828
I thought only usb c was input and the micro USB was for power only?

I think somewhere far back in this thread, there was talk of android phones usb audio not being "bit perfect" or still having been run through the phones own dac before sent out through usb c.

Is that true? Or does it depend on the phone.

USB C audio is a "line out" digital signal right? Like usb c headphones would have to be battery powered and have its amp circuit? Just don't want to accidentally damage anything...
Yes that's why we/I use UAPP app to bypass Android/phone

Usb C phone to Usb C input using UAPP to control audio , you then get the differing bitrate colours on the Mojo

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #8,820 of 10,828
Yes that's why we/I use UAPP app to bypass Android/phone

Usb C phone to Usb C input using UAPP to control audio , you then get the differing bitrate colours on the Mojo
OK, I think my phone does have a usb c audio out, but as the mojo2 did not include a usb c to c cable and the retailer warehouse forgot to pack the free cable for my order, I have nothing to test the mojo2 with my phone right now.

So, I'm assuming you did not buy the poly also with the mojo2? As if you can connect phone to mojo it makes poly redundant?

Last day before chords summer sale ends so..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back