Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 22, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #10,816 of 10,996
This is what I use closed-back headphones for. They sound more "coherent" and more intimate and less artificially separated. Work fantastically for exactly the listening situations you describe. I only really use crossfeed for older recordings with much more severe stereo separation. And like you, I find the Mojo 2's implementation of crossfeed far better than Roon's, Equalizer APO/Peace GUI's, and Qudelix 5K's. By far.
Never thought about closed-backs like that (and never tried ‘em either).

You managed to capture exactly what I’m after and that is coherence. That is much better put than my “correct”.:sweat_smile:

I’ll gladly look into closed-backs. Any suggestions that works well with the Mojo 2?

May 22, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #10,817 of 10,996

You managed to capture exactly what I’m after and that is coherence. That is much better put than my “correct”.:sweat_smile:

I’ll gladly look into closed-backs. Any suggestions that works well with the Mojo 2?
Under $1k, the three I'd look at are Focal Elegia (discontinued), Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire, and ZMF Bokeh. Focal also has the Bathys, which can be used wirelessly, but I haven't tried it myself. Closed backs also tend to have unusual tunings to compensate for additional resonances, so they're not to everyone's taste. Definitely a try-before-you-buy purchase. There's a dedicated closed-back thread you might want to check out.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #10,818 of 10,996
Under $1k, the three I'd look at are Focal Elegia (discontinued), Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire, and ZMF Bokeh. Closed backs also tend to have unusual tunings to compensate for additional resonances, so they're not to everyone's taste. Definitely a try-before-you-buy purchase. There's a dedicated closed-back thread you might want to check out.
My opinion regarding closed back, I still have to hear the first one where I don’t hate the pushed in your face Bass. I only like open back headphones or IEM with pressure release build in like fir audio or 64 audio.

May 22, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #10,819 of 10,996
My opinion regarding closed back, I still have to hear the first one where I don’t hate the pushed in your face Bass. I only like open back headphones or IEM with pressure release build in like fir audio or 64 audio.
Exactly. Not everyone likes closed backs. Some people absolutely despise them. My opinion is that if you have at least two headphones, one should be a dynamic driver and one should be a planar magnetic. But if you have at least three headphones, the third one should be a closed back.

For me, they are fantastic at conveying a sense of lush, full, rich, intimate atmosphere. They sound like live music in a small, basement club. But I'm also one of those weirdos who not only likes closed backs, but also likes unvented all-BA IEMs.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #10,821 of 10,996
Exactly. Not everyone likes closed backs. Some people absolutely despise them. My opinion is that if you have at least two headphones, one should be a dynamic driver and one should be a planar magnetic. But if you have at least three headphones, the third one should be a closed back.
Yeah I've had loads and just can't stand them, stick with Hifiman and Grado

May 22, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #10,822 of 10,996

Not sure your budget, but the Focal Stellia is a remarkably non-closed back sounding closed back. I second the DCA Aeon Noire 2. It's hard to beat the sound quality for the price. Going further up the ladder DCA wise, the E3 and Stealth work very well with the Mojo2. I don't have experience with the E3, but the Stealth is excellent.

It's a fine line between coherence in soundstage and funky closed back tuning. I don't think you'll get what you are looking for in the more "inexpensive" closed backs.

IIRC Rob Watts uses Mojo2 crossfeed at the highest level for his listening preference. I think he was mainly referring to classical music though.

May 22, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #10,824 of 10,996
Under $1k, the three I'd look at are Focal Elegia (discontinued), Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire, and ZMF Bokeh. Focal also has the Bathys, which can be used wirelessly, but I haven't tried it myself. Closed backs also tend to have unusual tunings to compensate for additional resonances, so they're not to everyone's taste. Definitely a try-before-you-buy purchase. There's a dedicated closed-back thread you might want to check out.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Having owned both Focal and ZMF headphones I’m curious about Dan Clark so this feels like the right time to check them out.

May 22, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #10,825 of 10,996
Thanks for the suggestions!

Having owned both Focal and ZMF headphones I’m curious about Dan Clark so this feels like the right time to check them out.
DCA Aeon and Focal Radiance (if you can find one). The DCA and Mojo2 just seem to click together, and the Radiance is a much more dynamic listen. However, Radiance is also a headphone that can get a bit too bass heavy, but of course is easily tamed with the Mojo2 EQ.

May 23, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #10,826 of 10,996
May 23, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #10,827 of 10,996
I have a problem, the mojo 2 connected to the mac book sees the device but doesn't make any sound, why? Has this happened to any of you?

May 23, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #10,828 of 10,996
I had the same problem with qobuz, but on pc. when I had qobuz open and a song selected (not necessary playing) on the bottom right there was an option on sound output. Here you can select where the laptop outputs too. I click on mojo2 and the wasabi or whatever it is, the middle option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back