Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 29, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #8,791 of 11,001
Update regarding my headphone quest for the Chord Mojo 2. I just ordered the Aeon 2 Noire Closed. Assuming I like the sound, the size, weight, and ability to fold up seemed to make sense for a portable system with my iPhone and/or iPad. The closed system also beckoned me as I'm sure I will not always be in a totally quiet place...though I don't expect ANC like quiet from the Aeon 2 Noire (closed) in a public space.
Portability of the Aeon Noire closed is excellent. The included cable will fit in the pouch above the headphones. I will leave a cosmetic dent in the memory foam if you aren't careful. The only complaint I have is the treble can be a bit much. You'll have to experiment with the included filters or the UHD EQ of Mojo 2. Isolation is okay. Overall a good choice in my book.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #8,792 of 11,001
Portability of the Aeon Noire closed is excellent. The included cable will fit in the pouch above the headphones. I will leave a cosmetic dent in the memory foam if you aren't careful. The only complaint I have is the treble can be a bit much. You'll have to experiment with the included filters or the UHD EQ of Mojo 2. Isolation is okay. Overall a good choice in my book.
Very good to know! Frankly I am a bit treble sensitive. So I'll have to work that out per your recommendation.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #8,793 of 11,001
Let us know what you think. It was a hard decision for me between the Hemp and the 325x, though I never got to actually compare the two. I think the "Hemp" thing's novelty probably unduly got to me.
Hemp and 325x are very much the same when I connected both to Mojo2. 325x was slightly more metallic sound and Hemp was a little softer due to their cups material. I prefer Hemp just because it looks stellar.

Aug 29, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #8,794 of 11,001
Getting excellent synergy with Mojo 2 and almost all* of my favorite IEMs. Listening now with the AüR Audio Alita and it is really a fantastic listening experience. :ksc75smile:

*I get hiss with the Sound Rhyme SR8, but it is very, veeery sensitive. An ifi IEMatch+ solves the issue just fine.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #8,795 of 11,001
Update regarding my headphone quest for the Chord Mojo 2. I just ordered the Aeon 2 Noire Closed. Assuming I like the sound, the size, weight, and ability to fold up seemed to make sense for a portable system with my iPhone and/or iPad. The closed system also beckoned me as I'm sure I will not always be in a totally quiet place...though I don't expect ANC like quiet from the Aeon 2 Noire (closed) in a public space.
You beat me to it. I like the Aeon 2 Noire with Mojo 2 paring. Yes, folding them up makes them more portable but I would suggest using a padded camera case instead of the one they ship with. Reason being, the one that comes with has no room for its cable while attached. So you have to disconnect them every time you want to store it and then reconnect when you take them out. Great closed backs though!

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #8,796 of 11,001
You beat me to it. I like the Aeon 2 Noire with Mojo 2 paring. Yes, folding them up makes them more portable but I would suggest using a padded camera case instead of the one they ship with. Reason being, the one that comes with has no room for its cable while attached. So you have to disconnect them every time you want to store it and then reconnect when you take them out. Great closed backs though!
Great idea on the camera case. I have a closet full of those!

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #8,797 of 11,001
So I ordered a Mojo2 to be collected at my local hi-fi shop tomorrow as the summer sale is ending soon.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. What should I look out for that Mojo2 does well but a lot of cheaper models / makes don't?

Currently I am using a Qudelix 5k from mobile Bluetooth. I will be testing the mojo2 from pc spdif output using 30mb flac files.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #8,798 of 11,001
So I ordered a Mojo2 to be collected at my local hi-fi shop tomorrow as the summer sale is ending soon.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. What should I look out for that Mojo2 does well but a lot of cheaper models / makes don't?

Currently I am using a Qudelix 5k from mobile Bluetooth. I will be testing the mojo2 from pc spdif output using 30mb flac files.

Tighter faster bass, more delicate and detailed treble, better depth.

small differences between DACs imo but still worth it.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #8,799 of 11,001
Well enjoying the Chord Mojo 2 thanks to everyone's help on this thread! I still have to master the "pat your head and rub your tummy" multicolored marble ball system. :smile_phones: The Grado Hemp sounds great with the Mojo 2 IMHO. But now I think I need to look for some closed headphones that would leak little or no sound for trips. Otherwise my spouse my strangle me with the headphone cord! Anyone have suggestions on closed headphones, or should I be posting on the headphone thread?
I'm a bit late to the party but give the Focal Stellia a listen too, I have it on my ears now and it sounds very nice, Focal are about to start a £600 trade in offer on the 4th September too.

Perhaps if you spent £2,200 on a headphone your spouse would still strangle you though. :)

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #8,800 of 11,001
Great choice for all the reasons you mention. Give them a good week or two of listening and you will realize how much detail this combination is extracting and presenting. My daily combo for at least an hour a day for the past 3 years (Aeon 2 then upgrade to Noire).

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #8,801 of 11,001
I'm a bit late to the party but give the Focal Stellia a listen too, I have it on my ears now and it sounds very nice, Focal are about to start a £600 trade in offer on the 4th September too.

Perhaps if you spent £2,200 on a headphone your spouse would still strangle you though. :)
Perhaps she will use the very headphone cable provided by the headphone. :deadhorse:

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #8,802 of 11,001
Great choice for all the reasons you mention. Give them a good week or two of listening and you will realize how much detail this combination is extracting and presenting. My daily combo for at least an hour a day for the past 3 years (Aeon 2 then upgrade to Noire).
I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations regarding the Chord Mojo 2 and the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire Closed regarding the Mojo’s two different power settings? i don’t have delivery of the headphones yet, but I am a little nervous about which power level to use. I want to avoid damaging the headphones. In a way I wish the Mojo 2 could store different settings instead of having set-up for different headphones For each use. I know get a life Jazz 1. :smile:

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #8,803 of 11,001
Great idea on the camera case. I have a closet full of those!

Tighter faster bass, more delicate and detailed treble, better depth.

small differences between DACs imo but still worth it.
So, I picked up the Mojo2 from my local hi-fi shop, and have just spent an hour on it, A/B-ing between that and a Qudelix 5k.

Admittedly the Mojo2 is getting a SPDIF from desktop pc uncompressed and the Qudelix is getting BT LDAC 990 from android phone. Both are streaming Amazon Music HD/Ultra HD.

I just want to put my initial thoughts to you just to confirm that I'm not crazy, or maybe I am...

So I think I hear a difference. And it's kind of weird but nice. Like, the Mojo2 is at once both more spacious and more "intimate". So, it sounds more spacious because there seems to be more extreme left / right and less "blobbing" of sound up front and middle. Instead, there is a sort of stage and each part the sound is more spread out, though obviously not approaching a good pair of loudspeakers (when I was at the high fi store to pick up, I took the opportunity to demo a $10k pair of Sonus Faber speakers that I couldn't afford even if you broke my legs but the owner was happy for me to listen to because I bought something :)

It sounds "intimate" because I felt like on a couple of tracks, it's like the sound from the singers mouth sounds more distinct, and it draws my attention to the shape it would have made while singing.

I don't hear "tighter / faster bass" or "delicate / detailed treble", or at least how I understand those terms. Instead, it's like it covers the sound in a patina, a very nice one that smooths any spikes but keeps the details. It's odd to explain, it's like playing call of duty with an aimbot, it just does everything automatically right.

There are a couple more things to note.1 of which is slightly disappointing.

The first is that I definitely would not describe the mojo2 as "bright or clinical". Instead it seems to be going for a smooth pair loudspeakers effect. It's not "warm" either, just smooth.

The one thing I was disappointed with was that when I plugged in my iem for testing, it was not pitch black silence. There were background noise. Where as on the qudelix 5k, a much cheaper device, pitch black silence when plugged in.

Oh, all the lights from the buttons are confusing. Anyone colorblind would be screwed trying to use this..

Oh +1: the unit was quite? warm while being plugged in charging (as just unboxed) as well as driving my iem while on a desk with ambient temperature 19.5c or 67f. I decided to put a fridge cooled gel pack under the unit..

Testing tracks include Katie Melua (Call off the Search, Aerial Objects (this one has violins), Darling Star) / Lana Del Rey (Ride, White Mustang, Salvatore) / Céline Dion (Because you loved me) / Riopy (for piano, eg New World / Ukiyo).

--
TLDR version: I think I hear a difference. It's a new presentation style to me and I think I like it.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #8,804 of 11,001
So, I picked up the Mojo2 from my local hi-fi shop, and have just spent an hour on it, A/B-ing between that and a Qudelix 5k.

Admittedly the Mojo2 is getting a SPDIF from desktop pc uncompressed and the Qudelix is getting BT LDAC 990 from android phone. Both are streaming Amazon Music HD/Ultra HD.

I just want to put my initial thoughts to you just to confirm that I'm not crazy, or maybe I am...

So I think I hear a difference. And it's kind of weird but nice. Like, the Mojo2 is at once both more spacious and more "intimate". So, it sounds more spacious because there seems to be more extreme left / right and less "blobbing" of sound up front and middle. Instead, there is a sort of stage and each part the sound is more spread out, though obviously not approaching a good pair of loudspeakers (when I was at the high fi store to pick up, I took the opportunity to demo a $10k pair of Sonus Faber speakers that I couldn't afford even if you broke my legs but the owner was happy for me to listen to because I bought something :)

It sounds "intimate" because I felt like on a couple of tracks, it's like the sound from the singers mouth sounds more distinct, and it draws my attention to the shape it would make while singing.

I don't hear "tighter / faster bass" or "delicate / detailed treble", or at least how I understand those terms. Instead, it's like it covers the sound in a patina, a very nice one that smooths any spikes but keeps the details. It's odd to explain, it's like playing call of duty with an aimbot, it just does everything automatically right.

There are 2 more things to note.1 of which is slightly disappointing.

The first is that I definitely would not describe the mojo2 as "bright or clinical". Instead it seems to be going for a smooth pair loudspeakers effect. It's not "warm" either, just smooth.

The one thing I was disappointed with was that when I plugged in my iem for testing, it was not pitch black silence. There were background noise. Where as on the qudelix 5k, a much cheaper device, pitch black silence when plugged in.

Oh, all the lights from the buttons are confusing. Anyone colorblind would be screwed trying to use this..

Testing tracks include Katie Melua (call off the search, aerial Objects, darling star) / Lana Del Rey (ride, white Mustang, Salvatore) / Céline Dion (because you loved me) / Riopy (for piano, eg new world / ukiyo)

--
TLDR version: I think I hear a difference. It's a new presentation style to me and I think I like it.
Great to read your impressions! Please share anything else if you have any other observations. I plan to give my Mojo 2 a workout this weekend. Hopefully I’ll have the Aeon 2 Noire Closed headphones soon! I should probably try my Audeze LCD 2’s. But I doubt I’d lug those around, out of the house with the Mojo 2. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #8,805 of 11,001
Great to read your impressions! Please share anything else if you have any other observations. I plan to give my Mojo 2 a workout this weekend. Hopefully I’ll have the Aeon 2 Noire Closed headphones soon! I should probably try my Audeze LCD 2’s. But I doubt I’d lug those around, out of the house with the Mojo 2. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Just check back to my original post lol as I'll just be editing that. Since you posted this, I added the common observation from literally everyone that the unit runs hot. Luckily as I am paranoid when it comes to batteries, I keep fridge gel packs to cool down my phone when fast charging, so I put one under the mojo.

So do you agree with my observations and find the same thing?

I don't have any proper headphones rn so I can't guess what your experiment will sound like. The iem used tonight was Yanyin x HBB Mahina, a $650 Chinese tribrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back