Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #4,966 of 10,894
And Poly just sounds very much better than a laptop or mobile device.
Surely doesn’t add anything to the sound if you’ve already got the Mojo 2?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #4,967 of 10,894
I don't know exactly how it is doing it, but I also hear a SQ improvement with Poly over the other connection methods I have tried. The same thing happened when I added the 2Go to the Hugo 2.
The music and stage kind of opens up a little, is cleaner, has more texture and detail, it's a bit like a veil is lifted.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #4,969 of 10,894
I don't know exactly how it is doing it, but I also hear a SQ improvement with Poly over the other connection methods I have tried. The same thing happened when I added the 2Go to the Hugo 2.
The music and stage kind of opens up a little, is cleaner, has more texture and detail, it's a bit like a veil is lifted.
My original experience with the Poly a couple years ago and the sound quality improvement it produced over USB is the reason I subsequently bought a 2Go for my Hugo 2 and a Bluesound Node 2i streamer for my desktop system.

Streaming direct to the device is superior to USB. I would love for someone to explain why this is true technically.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,970 of 10,894
My original experience with the Poly a couple years ago and the sound quality improvement it produced over USB is the reason I subsequently bought a 2Go for my Hugo 2 and a Bluesound Node 2i streamer for my desktop system.

Streaming direct to the device is superior to USB. I would love for someone to explain why this is true technically.
The Bluesound Node will be my next buy, if Chord will not come out with a Poly 2. And, if I won't attempt to use a Raspberry Pi, after all.

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #4,971 of 10,894
The Bluesound Node will be my next buy, if Chord will not come out with a Poly 2. And, if I won't attempt to use a Raspberry Pi, after all.
I have recently bought a WiiM Mini (just GBP 90) and it fulfills all the streaming needs to my M2 at a fraction of the cost of other options. It was simple to set up, sounds great over its optical connection (no USB concerns), and has features no other device I know has, such as bit-perfect streaming from Amazon Music HD up to 24/192, as well as Qubuz up to 24/192 bit-perfect, Spotify/Tidal connect and Airplay 2. Even the iOS control app is well executed with the interface very similar to Sonos for the streaming services. The developers seem to be introducing new functionality every month (casting straight from the AMHD app is apparently due imminently as are improvements to gapless playback) and so I can see this becoming a very popular addition to complement all types of DAC. I find the device simply astonishing at the price.

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #4,972 of 10,894
I have recently bought a WiiM Mini (just GBP 90) and it fulfills all the streaming needs to my M2 at a fraction of the cost of other options. It was simple to set up, sounds great over its optical connection (no USB concerns), and has features no other device I know has, such as bit-perfect streaming from Amazon Music HD up to 24/192, as well as Qubuz up to 24/192 bit-perfect, Spotify/Tidal connect and Airplay 2. Even the iOS control app is well executed with the interface very similar to Sonos for the streaming services. The developers seem to be introducing new functionality every month (casting straight from the AMHD app is apparently due imminently as are improvements to gapless playback) and so I can see this becoming a very popular addition to complement all types of DAC. I find the device simply astonishing at the price.
Wiim Mini seems a better version of poly. More functionality and can be used in various setups, not just M2. Does it needs to be powered with external PSU ?

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #4,973 of 10,894
Wiim Mini seems a better version of poly. More functionality and can be used in various setups, not just M2. Does it needs to be powered with external PSU ?
It is powered via USB C. A USB A to C cable is included (as is an optical cable and others). It is small and, in theory, I presume a powerbank could be used but, unlike the Poly, it seems mainly designed for static WiFi use (+/- multiroom, if desired), even though Bluetooth and Airplay 2 are connection options too.

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #4,974 of 10,894
Mojo2 on the edge with Audeze LCD5?

I just picked up a pair of LCD5 as I’m travelling in the US and I found a pair in stock. I listened in store with my Mojo2 and the LCD5 seemed a little lacking in the bass department. I then tried them with the TT2 the store uses for auditioning and the bass was instantly where I had expected it to be. I will be using these at home mainly with a DAVE and/or Woo WA7 so not a big deal but given I'm travelling with the Mojo2 thought it worth mentioning that I’m experiencing what must be the bounds of the Mojos output stage. It really is not a big deal as adding a few dB of EQ saves the day and I am currently sat in a chair in my hotel room throughly enjoying some Agnes Obel.

What headphones to others think are at the edge of usability with the Mojo2.

Edit: no idea why my fingers typed Focal instead of Audeze. Corrected it in the post.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #4,975 of 10,894
The electrical noise that can travel down a usb cable and really mess with the sound quality. Nothing to do with the bits; they arrive intact and we hear music. But when you get an electrically super noisy environment like a computer, that noise travels. It’s why things like AudioQuest Jitterbugs and Telos Macro Q make such a difference. Galvanic isolation helps, but doesn’t get it all. Optical doesn’t suffer from it, but is an inherently high jitter format. Poly and 2Go are electrically quite devices connected directly. Much, much better.
As you move up the streamer market the designers spend a lot more of the budget on cleaning up power supplies and output stages, like Innuos and Auralic and others.

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #4,976 of 10,894
Hello, expecting my Mojo 2 to arrive now. Question, on this adapter to be able to use 4.4 BAL, will I get double power from both the headphone out?

1657437646539.png

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #4,977 of 10,894
Hello, expecting my Mojo 2 to arrive now. Question, on this adapter to be able to use 4.4 BAL, will I get double power from both the headphone out?

No same power, still single ended, just more convenient. I also have this adapter and find it works very well if you don't mind the extra bulk.

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #4,978 of 10,894

1657437646539.png
No.
It's just a balanced to se adapter.

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #4,980 of 10,894
No, I would rather get DDHIFI - DJ44C which is much better and cheaper.
Hm, not in my experience. Had most of the DD adapters. Nicely priced, but in terms of build and reliability, you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back