Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 4, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #3,543 of 10,835
Yes, it happens when the light sequence finishes at boot up, and when I turn the unit off. It comes from inside the aluminium case. It is a relatively loud click sound.
I am hearing a gentle click sound when powering on my Mojo 2 but not a loud click. It would be better if you would make a video and contact Chord support 👍

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #3,545 of 10,835
Hi, I tried to find a clear answer to my question in google and in the forum, but I am still confused, so I would appreciate your help.

When using the Mojo 2 and the Iphone´s Tidal app, I get a maximum of 96 kHz/24 bit resolution on master. In my windows PC, the same. I do not seem to be able to play 192 kHz files for example.

In windows I installed the driver. In Tidal I selected the exclusive modus, the volume managed by the DAC, and do not select the MQA (for which the Mojo 2 has no compability).

In the phone, there is not much to configure, but anyhow I do not get more than a green indicator for 96 kHz.

Am I doing something wrong, or 96 kHz is the maximum file resolution to be expected with the Mojo 2 using Tidal?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: another question, the unit makes a somehow loud click noise (not in the headphones, but like coming from the case) when turned on or off. I hear the same with a different desktop DAC I have, and therefore think it is normal, but the Mojo 2 did not make the sound the first few times I used it, and would like to ask you if it is normal. Many thanks!
Tidal = MQA. mojo2 don`t support MQA.(Thank god)
So if you wanna go higher, 192KHz. you need apple music or qobuz

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #3,548 of 10,835
Ok but the volume for each headphone remains the same.

Correct - that's for two reasons - all my DACs have enough current delivery to drive 8 ohms, and the OP impedance is very low. So when you load it up with another headphone, there is still plenty of current delivery (and that delivery is very linear) plus the very low OP impedance means that the back EMF from one headphone wont' be noticed on the other headphone.

And 1 step on the volume control or tone controls is a 1dB change.

Indeed, the Hugo 2 is ahead, not sure why some people even say the Mojo 2 is better.

I actually gained alot more respect for my Mojo 1 as the Mojo 2 sounds more like a Mojo 1.5 rather than a Mojo 2 next to it. Unless you like to EQ and crossfeed, the Mojo 2 was not really worth the upgrade to me. But then still, it is a very expensive EQ and crossfeed what you are buying then.

Not sure what Rob Watts did in 7 years, but it doesn't sounds like a "7 year" upgrade to me.

I guess I will upgrade my Mojo 1 when the Mojo 3 comes out.

I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Under the hood it's a massive change - Mojo 1 used 33% of the FPGA, Mojo 2 is 98%, and all of the code handling the audio has been replaced. To me in SQ terms it represents a huge improvement.

I should say that I do not do trivial updates in order to let Chord sell a few more products. Life is too short to waste time on this; for me to invest time in a new unit I require motivation - and that may be intellectual (solving problems like designing completely transparent EQ) or getting better sound quality for more musical enjoyment for myself. That's why my updated products are much longer periods than other companies - moreover, I absolutely do not need to update things in order to react to what other companies are doing.

The taps and the Qutest has a 10 element pulse array vs Mojo/Mojo2 with 4 element. But, the discrete output stage of Mojo 1 and Qutest are the same:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-987#post-14591223

Correct. The use of 10 elements rather than 4 is not a small change.

Thanks for that link…
I am wondering which part of the output stage RW is referring to, since the Mojo has a capacitor in the signal path while the Hugo 2 and Quest use a “DC servo” if I remember correctly. The Hugo 2 is definitely vastly more detailed and transparent compared to the Mojo, especially when paired with the 2Go.
Short take from me - Hugo 2 is quite a big improvement over Mojo 1, and Quest should be equal. I may but the Mojo 2 soon, I really want to know how close it gets to the Hugo 2…

In my mind (and physical locations) the DC coupling capacitor is part of the pulse array DAC side, the amplifier (which combines the I/V conversion, filtering and the discrete OP stage) is the other side of the analogue section.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #3,549 of 10,835
Anyone know if Van Nuys do an equivalent carry case for non L shaped connectors?

FAB8A95D-2ED0-4BB0-99BC-E62AC7F25A10.jpeg

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #3,550 of 10,835
That's why my updated products are much longer periods than other companies - moreover, I absolutely do not need to update things in order to react to what other companies are doing.
It's really good and I like your policy.

DAPs running Android may need to be updated regularly but I don't thing DAC/AMPs need to be updated often unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #3,552 of 10,835
Help! My mojo2 is sending out random loud blasts of white noise. Its so loud it even scared my dog. I have Apple Music playing on my 2018, 15" Macd book Pro. Its connected by USB C to USB C 3ft cable to the Mojo. I am afraid of putting on the Grado GS3000e headphones on for fear its going to blast my eardrums again. The blast is startling you have to turn the music off for it to stop. This is rediculous and unacceptable. It has now happened to me 3 times in the last 15 hours.

Update: I am now using it on my iPhone and no problems. There must be an issue with the cables.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #3,553 of 10,835
Help! My mojo2 is sending out random loud blasts of white noise. Its so loud it even scared my dog. I have Apple Music playing on my 2018, 15" Macd book Pro. Its connected by USB C to USB C 3ft cable to the Mojo. I am afraid of putting on the Grado GS3000e headphones on for fear its going to blast my eardrums again. The blast is startling you have to turn the music off for it to stop. This is rediculous and unacceptable. It has now happened to me 3 times in the last 15 hours.

Update: I am now using it on my iPhone and no problems. There must be an issue with the cables.

USB-C cables are kind of a nightmare. A large percentage of USB-C cables are primarily for charging mobile devices and only have very limited data transfer capabilities. USB-C refers to the type of connector and the actual data transfer capabilities of the cable can range from USB 2.0 (480Kbps) up to Thunderbolt 3 or 4 (up to 40Gbps depending on length). Different cables also have different abilities when it comes to charging and there are active and passive cables that can affect behavior as well. Cables for the most part are not marked (except for Thunderbolt cables) so it can be almost impossible to tell what the capabilities of a given cable are.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #3,554 of 10,835
USB-C cables are kind of a nightmare. A large percentage of USB-C cables are primarily for charging mobile devices and only have very limited data transfer capabilities. USB-C refers to the type of connector and the actual data transfer capabilities of the cable can range from USB 2.0 (480Kbps) up to Thunderbolt 3 or 4 (up to 40Gbps depending on length). Different cables also have different abilities when it comes to charging and there are active and passive cables that can affect behavior as well. Cables for the most part are not marked (except for Thunderbolt cables) so it can be almost impossible to tell what the capabilities of a given cable are.
The cables I am using are rated at 0.48 Gigabits Per Second. I only need a fraction of that capacity to listen to audio.

Why would anyone need a cable faster than USB 2.0 for transmitting audio?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #3,555 of 10,835
The cables I am using are rated at 0.48 Gigabits Per Second. I only need a fraction of that capacity to listen to audio.
I've never heard of a cable rated at 0.48Gbps. Are you sure it's not 0.48Mbps (i.e. 480Kbps)? Generally it will either be USB 2.0 (480Kbps), USB 3.0 or 3.1gen1 (5Gbps), USB 3.1gen2 (10Gbps), or Thunderbolt 3/4 (10-40Gbps depending on length).

Even if the cable is rated for something or another, I would still try a few different cables because sometimes all the different pieces (USB host, client, cable, hubs, other devices on the same bus, etc.) don't always play together nicely. You could also try connecting to different ports or moving/removing other USB devices to see if that's a factor. The Mac System Report tool (Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report -> USB) will also give you a lot of info about how devices are connected and at what speed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back