Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #3,556 of 11,002
Provide some test findings that can solve the problem on my laptop.
Symptom:
On windows 10 or 11, playing above 96khz or DSD has noise.

Workaround:
Open the System>Sound page, keep it open or minimize it and don't close it, and set the Default Device to other devices.

So, I got a response from Chord support regarding the white noise I've encountered twice on my Mojo 2, when connected to my Windows 11 laptop, and while listening to YouTube from my browser. Chord said that it was due to wrong settings. My settings are shown in this post.

From the screenshots of that post:
As Chord said, Mojo2 is not a DTS or Dolby decoder so these boxes should be unchecked. And they added: ...realistically, I would lower the output sample rate too...

Furthermore,
Nothing on YouTube is going to be more than 24 bit 48kHz (and the vast majority much less than that). If you are listening direct from a browser, thanks to the truly abysmal setup of Windows 10 and 11, you will need to stop ALL other notification sounds. The noise you hear is a conflict between the sample rate of the notification sound and the sample rate you have requested be sent to the Mojo2 (in this case 384kHz). This can be minimized if you set a 48kHz output (as it is the sample rate of Win notifications) but it is best avoided by turning them off altogether.

So now, I've lowered the sample rate to 48kHz and muted all Windows notification sounds. I did not have time to test this, yet, but I am sure I will not face any white noise issue, further. IF I will, I'll report it here.

When it comes to RFI when my phone is close to the Mojo 2, I have never faced that, but I very-very rarely connect it to my phone.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #3,557 of 11,002
I've never heard of a cable rated at 0.48Gbps. Are you sure it's not 0.48Mbps (i.e. 480Kbps)? Generally it will either be USB 2.0 (480Kbps), USB 3.0 or 3.1gen1 (5Gbps), USB 3.1gen2 (10Gbps), or Thunderbolt 3/4 (10-40Gbps depending on length).

Even if the cable is rated for something or another, I would still try a few different cables because sometimes all the different pieces (USB host, client, cable, hubs, other devices on the same bus, etc.) don't always play together nicely. You could also try connecting to different ports or moving/removing other USB devices to see if that's a factor. The Mac System Report tool (Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report -> USB) will also give you a lot of info about how devices are connected and at what speed.
@mariopoli is right USB 2.0 supports 480Mbps not 480Kbps (jeez that's less than 1mb), even USB 1.0 support 12Mbps.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #3,558 of 11,002
Maybe it is safest to buy a cable from Chord,fiio,iBasso etc. Since theyr all are made for audio.

edit: so the cable is good? windows messing it up?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #3,559 of 11,002
@mariopoli is right USB 2.0 supports 480Mbps not 480Kbps (jeez that's less than 1mb), even USB 1.0 support 12Mbps.

You're right -- I was just coming here to correct myself about mixing up K and M for USB 2.0. I think all my other numbers were correct. Sorry about that. I just tested several cables of different capabilities and far as I can tell the Mojo 2 won't connect above that speed regardless of what kind of cable you use.

Still, I have run into issues with all the various flavors of USB-C cables and whenever I have an issue I usually try the cable that's supplied with the device and if that resolves the problem then I stick with that cable or try some other ones if I really need a different length or color or whatever.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #3,560 of 11,002
I've never heard of a cable rated at 0.48Gbps. Are you sure it's not 0.48Mbps (i.e. 480Kbps)? Generally it will either be USB 2.0 (480Kbps), USB 3.0 or 3.1gen1 (5Gbps), USB 3.1gen2 (10Gbps), or Thunderbolt 3/4 (10-40Gbps depending on length).

Even if the cable is rated for something or another, I would still try a few different cables because sometimes all the different pieces (USB host, client, cable, hubs, other devices on the same bus, etc.) don't always play together nicely. You could also try connecting to different ports or moving/removing other USB devices to see if that's a factor. The Mac System Report tool (Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report -> USB) will also give you a lot of info about how devices are connected and at what speed.
USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps = 0.48Gbps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

I will try other cables.

I am now using a WiiM Mini connected with SPIDF to my Mojo2. I have Audirvana playing Qobuz at high resolution with no problems.

Apr 5, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #3,562 of 11,002
Provide some test findings that can solve the problem on my laptop.
Symptom:
On windows 10 or 11, playing above 96khz or DSD has noise.

Workaround:
Open the System>Sound page, keep it open or minimize it and don't close it, and set the Default Device to other devices.
Most probably you are not using your DAC with WASAPI or ASIO protocols.
Download the driver from CHORD and install it, then on your player, make sure you use the Chord DAC in WASAPI or ASIO mode.
You also need to go to sound settings under windows and set your internal sound card as default.

Apr 5, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,563 of 11,002
While we're on the subject. I haven't got my Mojo 2 yet (on the way) but once I get it, should I use usb c port for data or the micro b port or technically it shouldn't matter?

I know power we're stuck with micro b but just wondering for data to my PC, will there be a difference?

Apr 5, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #3,564 of 11,002
While we're on the subject. I haven't got my Mojo 2 yet (on the way) but once I get it, should I use usb c port for data or the micro b port or technically it shouldn't matter?
Won't matter. both go to same input chip.
I know power we're stuck with micro b but just wondering for data to my PC, will there be a difference?
USB audio is limited to USB 2 protocol, shape of the plug is irrelevent.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3,566 of 11,002

The USB-C port mechanical construction appears to be more robust and able to withstand vibration and number of insertions/removals better.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #3,567 of 11,002
Apr 5, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,568 of 11,002
The USB-C port mechanical construction appears to be more robust and able to withstand vibration and number of insertions/removals better.
Actually I don't think so.
C type has 24 pins in a small space, so they are smaller ,so can break easier.
Micro usb has 5 pins, so it is bigger pins.
But micro usb is one sided, it means a granny trying to force one in the wrong way, may break it more easily.😊 (reason why I use a right angle jack)
Type C is not, so if you have 90 degree jacks, can go either way.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #3,569 of 11,002
lol thanks for the clarification on USB Micro B vs USB C.

Now I have a question regarding the intelligent charging. To my understanding that Mojo 2 is able to run entirely from the USB port is that correct?

OR

Does it still run from battery except now it's smart enough to not charge when battery is full?

Asking because I plan to use it as desktop unit permanently. Generally speaking battery degrades if it just sits there isn't it? Was wondering if I should've got iFi Gryphon but for my use case might be good to go with Mojo 2 just for the intelligent battery thing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,570 of 11,002
lol thanks for the clarification on USB Micro B vs USB C.

Now I have a question regarding the intelligent charging. To my understanding that Mojo 2 is able to run entirely from the USB port is that correct?

OR

Does it still run from battery except now it's smart enough to not charge when battery is full?

Asking because I plan to use it as desktop unit permanently. Generally speaking battery degrades if it just sits there isn't it? Was wondering if I should've got iFi Gryphon but for my use case might be good to go with Mojo 2 just for the intelligent battery thing.

Thanks!
The documentation is not very clear, but as far as I understand, it charges to full, and then runs with USB power. Notice that the power port is different from the data port, so you need two cables.

Batteries degrade if they are kept at max charge for long periods of time, but apparently Mojo 2 doesn't charge the battery to max. For long term storage lithium batteries should be stored somewhere between 60% and 80%. Mojo 2 intelligent desktop mode doesn't seem to be ideal for the battery but in theory the battery should remain somewhat healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back