Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 2, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,526 of 11,001
I think you need to dig deeper for the differences between the Mojo and the Qutest.
Taps is only one factor. The output stage design is another big one, where the Hugo2 and Qutest are much more complex.
Mojo 2 is a great package and value obviously, but the few comparisons with Hugo 2 said that the H2 is still clearly ahead, as it should be.
Rob Watts didn‘t give any hints that there would be a new Qutest, so it might still be a long wait for an upgrade to that product. It took 7 years for a new Mojo, going by that we’ll have to wait a few more years for upgrades to the H2/Qutest range.
The taps and the Qutest has a 10 element pulse array vs Mojo/Mojo2 with 4 element. But, the discrete output stage of Mojo 1 and Qutest are the same:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-987#post-14591223

Apr 2, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #3,527 of 11,001
The taps and the Qutest has a 10 element pulse array vs Mojo/Mojo2 with 4 element. But, the discrete output stage of Mojo 1 and Qutest are the same:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-987#post-14591223
Thanks for that link…
I am wondering which part of the output stage RW is referring to, since the Mojo has a capacitor in the signal path while the Hugo 2 and Quest use a “DC servo” if I remember correctly. The Hugo 2 is definitely vastly more detailed and transparent compared to the Mojo, especially when paired with the 2Go.
Short take from me - Hugo 2 is quite a big improvement over Mojo 1, and Quest should be equal. I may but the Mojo 2 soon, I really want to know how close it gets to the Hugo 2…

Apr 2, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #3,528 of 11,001
Thanks for that link…
I am wondering which part of the output stage RW is referring to, since the Mojo has a capacitor in the signal path while the Hugo 2 and Quest use a “DC servo” if I remember correctly. The Hugo 2 is definitely vastly more detailed and transparent compared to the Mojo, especially when paired with the 2Go.
Short take from me - Hugo 2 is quite a big improvement over Mojo 1, and Quest should be equal. I may but the Mojo 2 soon, I really want to know how close it gets to the Hugo 2…
I think the part of the output stage RW is referring to is the single amp stage.

Apr 2, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #3,529 of 11,001
Thanks for that link…
I believe the cap is between DAC and the output stage. Output stage could be the same (believe it is) but it is not fed the same.

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #3,530 of 11,001
Thanks for that link…

Having never owned a Mojo 1, I first bought the Mojo 2, then the Hugo 2 and then the 2go, I can give you some perspective:

The Mojo 2 was intended as an upgrade from the Shanling M6 (AKM based original) that I was using. I'd bought the Quad ERA-1 headphones and while the Quad / Shanling combination showed excellent resolution and detail, it lacked a bit of dynamic punch as a combination, the ERA-1 being a low impedance planar magnetic and the M6 being better suited to efficient IEMs. The Mojo 2 with it's nearly 4x output power seemed like a good idea, with many reviewers raving about the Mojo 2's resolution, I was expecting to be blown away. The reality was, to say the least, unexpected. Drive, dynamics, scale and sense of rhythmic integrity were definitely a big step up from the Shanling M6 using the Mojo 2 / ERA-1 combination. There was also this lovely "fluidity" about the delivery, a sense of detail and pace without being forced, free of strain or effort. However, there was a price to pay. Bass was more present, but less detailed. Subtle amplitude changes and texture seemed to have gone missing. Overlapping similar frequency events in the bass seemed more homogenized. Further up the frequency range, there were similar losses where fine amplitude changes were needed to created the detail in filigree sounds. Some rendering of relatively quiet metallic textures sometimes seemed veiled. The differences were not huge, needing much blind A/B listening to work out specifically what was different, but I couldn't live with the loss of finesse. Overall, it was very similar to the Shanling M6 sonically and with simpler music, it would need careful listening to work out which was being listened to. The M2 was retuned (it also had white noise episodes). The big benefit of the M2 was the EQ, adding +2db to the 20Hz region giving a weight to the bottom end that I'd describe as perfect for the ERA-1.

Next step, try a Hugo 2. I bought a demo model to try out with the intention of spending a week using every spare minute to carefully evaluate areas where it might improve on the Shanling or the M2. The reality was again unexpected. Where the M2 had failed to blow me away, the Hugo2 Quad ERA-1 pairing really did deliver a punch in the face, blatantly obvious set of improvements. Less than a minute of listening was all that was needed to hear this, the improvements needing no detailed A/B listening to detect. The Hugo 2 was hugely more revealing of the subtleties and nuances that the Shanling had been partially portraying and adding a big step in detail and transparency well beyond anything the Shanling M6 or Mojo 2 could portray. Combined with an improved sense of drive, pace and dynamics, this one was definitely a keeper. Even better, when I took the demo unit back and bought the new Hugo 2, I bought a 2go as well. Getting the pair home and discovering that the 2go moves the sound up a bit further was a pleasant surprise!

So M2 vs H2 is not really a fair comparison and the performance difference does reflect their respective price points. Does the M2 get close? Well, yes, in some ways, but the Shanling M6 gets a little bit closer in many respects. That M2 EQ is a very nice touch though. I wonder if an H3 is on the way with similar EQ capability. I'd buy that.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #3,531 of 11,001
Having never owned a Mojo 1, I first bought the Mojo 2, then the Hugo 2 and then the 2go, I can give you some perspective:

The Mojo 2 was intended as an upgrade from the Shanling M6 (AKM based original) that I was using. I'd bought the Quad ERA-1 headphones and while the Quad / Shanling combination showed excellent resolution and detail, it lacked a bit of dynamic punch as a combination, the ERA-1 being a low impedance planar magnetic and the M6 being better suited to efficient IEMs. The Mojo 2 with it's nearly 4x output power seemed like a good idea, with many reviewers raving about the Mojo 2's resolution, I was expecting to be blown away. The reality was, to say the least, unexpected. Drive, dynamics, scale and sense of rhythmic integrity were definitely a big step up from the Shanling M6 using the Mojo 2 / ERA-1 combination. There was also this lovely "fluidity" about the delivery, a sense of detail and pace without being forced, free of strain or effort. However, there was a price to pay. Bass was more present, but less detailed. Subtle amplitude changes and texture seemed to have gone missing. Overlapping similar frequency events in the bass seemed more homogenized. Further up the frequency range, there were similar losses where fine amplitude changes were needed to created the detail in filigree sounds. Some rendering of relatively quiet metallic textures sometimes seemed veiled. The differences were not huge, needing much blind A/B listening to work out specifically what was different, but I couldn't live with the loss of finesse. Overall, it was very similar to the Shanling M6 sonically and with simpler music, it would need careful listening to work out which was being listened to. The M2 was retuned (it also had white noise episodes). The big benefit of the M2 was the EQ, adding +2db to the 20Hz region giving a weight to the bottom end that I'd describe as perfect for the ERA-1.

Next step, try a Hugo 2. I bought a demo model to try out with the intention of spending a week using every spare minute to carefully evaluate areas where it might improve on the Shanling or the M2. The reality was again unexpected. Where the M2 had failed to blow me away, the Hugo2 Quad ERA-1 pairing really did deliver a punch in the face, blatantly obvious set of improvements. Less than a minute of listening was all that was needed to hear this, the improvements needing no detailed A/B listening to detect. The Hugo 2 was hugely more revealing of the subtleties and nuances that the Shanling had been partially portraying and adding a big step in detail and transparency well beyond anything the Shanling M6 or Mojo 2 could portray. Combined with an improved sense of drive, pace and dynamics, this one was definitely a keeper. Even better, when I took the demo unit back and bought the new Hugo 2, I bought a 2go as well. Getting the pair home and discovering that the 2go moves the sound up a bit further was a pleasant surprise!

So M2 vs H2 is not really a fair comparison and the performance difference does reflect their respective price points. Does the M2 get close? Well, yes, in some ways, but the Shanling M6 gets a little bit closer in many respects. That M2 EQ is a very nice touch though. I wonder if an H3 is on the way with similar EQ capability. I'd buy that.
And I have had, Mojo Classic, Mojo2, Hugo2 and the Quads!
The Quads weren't for me, I returned them within the window allowed.
I was at first smithen by Mojo2, but ultimately most of its charms were wasted on me (crossfeed, Tone controls, Desktop mode) so I returned that too.
I sold my Mojo Classic and missing it! but as you say, Hugo2 is much better and frankly enough for me.
I probably buy another Mojo Classic once I can pick a mint one up for peanuts! (may happen with all the hype with Mojo2).
BTW , I found the Quads too dark, perhaps that's why with Mojo2 it didn't work for you and Hugo2 did .
In all fairness, Mojo2 has excellent bass, if nothing else!

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #3,536 of 11,001
Hi, I tried to find a clear answer to my question in google and in the forum, but I am still confused, so I would appreciate your help.

When using the Mojo 2 and the Iphone´s Tidal app, I get a maximum of 96 kHz/24 bit resolution on master. In my windows PC, the same. I do not seem to be able to play 192 kHz files for example.

In windows I installed the driver. In Tidal I selected the exclusive modus, the volume managed by the DAC, and do not select the MQA (for which the Mojo 2 has no compability).

In the phone, there is not much to configure, but anyhow I do not get more than a green indicator for 96 kHz.

Am I doing something wrong, or 96 kHz is the maximum file resolution to be expected with the Mojo 2 using Tidal?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: another question, the unit makes a somehow loud click noise (not in the headphones, but like coming from the case) when turned on or off. I hear the same with a different desktop DAC I have, and therefore think it is normal, but the Mojo 2 did not make the sound the first few times I used it, and would like to ask you if it is normal. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #3,537 of 11,001
And I have had, Mojo Classic, Mojo2, Hugo2 and the Quads!
The Quads weren't for me, I returned them within the window allowed.
I was at first smithen by Mojo2, but ultimately most of its charms were wasted on me (crossfeed, Tone controls, Desktop mode) so I returned that too.
I sold my Mojo Classic and missing it! but as you say, Hugo2 is much better and frankly enough for me.
I probably buy another Mojo Classic once I can pick a mint one up for peanuts! (may happen with all the hype with Mojo2).
BTW , I found the Quads too dark, perhaps that's why with Mojo2 it didn't work for you and Hugo2 did .
In all fairness, Mojo2 has excellent bass, if nothing else!
Funnily enough, I've never thought of the Quads as dark. Maybe with the leather pads they could be? I found the felt pads to give much clearer bass region. The leather pads add weight, but lose definition, so they now live in the box. They are a little hot in the 6KHz region with felt pads, but their level of detail at all frequencies seems to offset their very slightly recessed 3-4KHz region.

The Mojo 2 bass is very good, but the Quads played it somewhat weightier / thickened and with less texture and resolution than the Shanling M6. On the plus side, it played it across a broader dynamic pallet, with better pace and energy. The Hugo 2 took the M6 resolution of texture and nuance to an entirely different level and added the best elements of the M2 on the Quads. Just goes to show how subjective we are!

I'd like to give the Mojo 2 a listen on a broader selection of IEMs and headphones, but I tend to go with one pair for everything, so don't have a selection to play with.

Apr 3, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,538 of 11,001
Hi, I tried to find a clear answer to my question in google and in the forum, but I am still confused, so I would appreciate your help.

When using the Mojo 2 and the Iphone´s Tidal app, I get a maximum of 96 kHz/24 bit resolution on master. In my windows PC, the same. I do not seem to be able to play 192 kHz files for example.

In windows I installed the driver. In Tidal I selected the exclusive modus, the volume managed by the DAC, and do not select the MQA (for which the Mojo 2 has no compability).

In the phone, there is not much to configure, but anyhow I do not get more than a green indicator for 96 kHz.

Am I doing something wrong, or 96 kHz is the maximum file resolution to be expected with the Mojo 2 using Tidal?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: another question, the unit makes a somehow loud click noise (not in the headphones, but like coming from the case) when turned on or off. I hear the same with a different desktop DAC I have, and therefore think it is normal, but the Mojo 2 did not make the sound the first few times I used it, and would like to ask you if it is normal. Many thanks!
The click is normal if it's the one you hear after the boot up light sequence finishes.

Apr 3, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #3,540 of 11,001
Yes, it happens when the light sequence finishes at boot up, and when I turn the unit off. It comes from inside the aluminium case. It is a relatively loud click sound.
That's just a relay ticking .
its harmless.
Incidentally on Mojo Classic the relay is on the other side!, when they added the forth button, they didn't have room for it no more, so it got moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back