Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 3, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,986 of 10,526
Interesting. I found my laptop on battery to be by far the noisiest source, it was unlistenable. Obviously more at play than just ground plane noise on my case. I fixed it by buying a Hugo 2 / 2go combination.
Quite a pricey fix. Did you consider a USB to toslink adapter?

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,987 of 10,526
I've had Mojo 2 for a few weeks and all is going well. Prior to receiving the Mojo 2, my Mojo 1's USB socket was inoperable and when stationary, I used the optical port via Chromecast Audio and that work as an interim solution. Upon receiving the Mojo 2, I bolted on the Poly for music listening, and retired the Mojo 1.

The other night, I disconnected the Poly with the goal of watching Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool on my Mac with the audio going from the Mac wirelessly to Chromecast Audio and then to the Mojo 2 via the optical port and outputted to my Focal Clear headphones. What I heard throughout the film was (very fine but with) a delay in the audio. It was tolerable since most of the film was music, or narration on top the music/original footage and less so narration with the camera on the speaker. I then tried to do the same by eliminating Chromecast Audio. This time, my connection was from the Mac to the Mojo 2 using the USB-C input and then to my headphones. No delays!

Any speculation why there would be a delay when Chromecast Audio was part of the chain and not when I eliminated it?

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,988 of 10,526
I've had Mojo 2 for a few weeks and all is going well. Prior to receiving the Mojo 2, my Mojo 1's USB socket was inoperable and when stationary, I used the optical port via Chromecast Audio and that work as an interim solution. Upon receiving the Mojo 2, I bolted on the Poly for music listening, and retired the Mojo 1.

The other night, I disconnected the Poly with the goal of watching Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool on my Mac with the audio going from the Mac wirelessly to Chromecast Audio and then to the Mojo 2 via the optical port and outputted to my Focal Clear headphones. What I heard throughout the film was (very fine but with) a delay in the audio. It was tolerable since most of the film was music, or narration on top the music/original footage and less so narration with the camera on the speaker. I then tried to do the same by eliminating Chromecast Audio. This time, my connection was from the Mac to the Mojo 2 using the USB-C input and then to my headphones. No delays!

Any speculation why there would be a delay when Chromecast Audio was part of the chain and not when I eliminated it?
You used bluetooth to connect? Some devices have latency when connected via bluetooth... Not sure which bluetooth version Chromecast is on

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,989 of 10,526

Is there any reason you can't use the optical from the mac directly to the Mojo2?

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #2,990 of 10,526
Quite a pricey fix. Did you consider a USB to toslink adapter?
😂 It was a bit. I was getting good results from the Mojo 2 with USB C to USB micro cable from my DAP, but I was also losing some resolution and nuance compared with the DAP, which rendered it a no go for me. Also had a few incidences of "wall of white noise". There were some bits of the Mojo 2 performance that were improvements on my DAP, particularly weight and pace driving Quad ERA-1. What I did really like was the fluidity of the delivery, so I decided to try a Hugo 2. This didn't play particularly well with the laptop, but was excellent with the workstation and even better with the DAP. Same fluidity, but a big step up in drive, dynamics, detail and nuance over both the DAP and the Mojo 2. It plays in a different league. I do a lot of streaming, so the 2go seemed to make sense. I hadn't heard it with Hugo 2, but once the two were bolted together, the results were sublime, noticably better than the DAP as a source, convenient too. Serious mission creep describes it best.

Mar 3, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #2,992 of 10,526
You used bluetooth to connect? Some devices have latency when connected via bluetooth... Not sure which bluetooth version Chromecast is on
It is my understanding that Chromecast Audio uses WiFi, not bluetooth. That is why I ruled out any delays associated with bluetooth.
Is there any reason you can't use the optical from the mac directly to the Mojo2?
Available cables- I had the optical cable to Chromecast Audio and not a USB cable. That is why I tried it straight from the Mac to the Mojo 2 with a USB cable bypassing Chromecast Audio altogether.

It's more a mater of curiosity why there would be a delay in the first place.

Mar 3, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #2,993 of 10,526
I'd guess something like the Chromecast Audio buffering to reduce the chance of drop-outs.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #2,994 of 10,526
Have the Mojo 2 a few weeks now and love it. However I have also experienced the "white noise" jump scare a few times. Interestingly this happened a few times as well with my Lotoo S2 dongle but Lotoo was able to fix this with the latest firmware update. So no joy for the Mojo 2.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #2,995 of 10,526
Have the Mojo 2 a few weeks now and love it. However I have also experienced the "white noise" jump scare a few times. Interestingly this happened a few times as well with my Lotoo S2 dongle but Lotoo was able to fix this with the latest firmware update. So no joy for the Mojo 2.
I have had the white noise issue with my original Mojo quite a few times over the years, and it has always turned out to be a cable issue.
I have had it mostly with Lightning-micro USB cables that I use with my iPhones and iPad, but I think I also had it with regular USB cables and the PC.

My suspicion was always that the micro-USB connector got deformed over time and lost contact.
The micro-USB socket on the Mojo has held up very well, every time I got a new cable the connection was tight and secure, no wobbling and no white noise.

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #2,996 of 10,526
Wow… it’s been a minute since I checked this thread. Randomly googled “Mojo 2” to see if there had been any movement on things, and was blown away… and I’m sorry, but not in a good way.

I’m sure this thread has turned into a rabid love-fest, replete with the usual Chord fanboys willing to forgive anything, including-and-up-to live black mamba snakes accidentally packaged along with the devices, and I’m sure I’ll be flamed like a witch in 17th century Massachusetts, but I just have to say it… I am shocked that this is the final design. Shocked. It looks like a prototype.

Stubborn adherence to a problematic micro-usb format in order to work with a half decade-old streaming add-on (which could do with an update itself)? Check. Single pasted-on USB-C port, so poorly implemented into the design that it literally infringes into other port’s spaces? Check. Big increase in price despite the fact that it’s still just a DAC/amp with no internal streaming ability, and therefore a step behind most competitors in pure tech? Check.

Man, something this feature-free and with such a slap-dash design is going to have to sound f_cking stunning for me to buy it.

And the thing is… that’s not impossible. It might sound that good. It is a Chord after all. I will be reading the professional reviews with interest…

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #2,997 of 10,526
Hearing will be your judge. It is a significant upgrade to my mojo 1, my daps and dongles. The uhd dsp is what made me upgrade and I wasn’t dissapointed. ymmv yadda, yadda

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,998 of 10,526
i would suggest you are probably right on this, Rob just said that chord have received only 2 reports of this issue with the mojo 2 and i know for sure i was one of them and thats after seeing what 5 or 6 reports on here at least over the last few days so it is likely people just restart the device and carry on without ever reporting the wider issue to chord... im sure chord probably dont want the headache and after having a successful launch its not what they want to hear but its important that they know and can provide fixes or suggestions as rob has done above, so so far customer service is doing just fine which is all we can ask.

Thanks for the feedback. To your last point - the issue does happen in exclusive mode, with different (good quality) cables and it also happens during playback when no cables have been touched / moved.

As you suggest is would be great if everyone experiencing the issue to contact Chord so it may be investigated a little further.

@jinx20001 @keithmarsh

Did you guys report your white noise blast, to Chord Support?

What did Chord come back with? Are they aware of the issue? Hopefully they should be, since it's been reported since Mojo 1.

Also, did you both try it with the Chord ASIO driver on Windows?

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #2,999 of 10,526
is going to have to sound f_cking stunning for me to buy it.

It does.

It’s really the same tonality and musicality of Mojo but better in every regard (except power and form factor, which remain the same if they work for you). But increased transparency and detail, better bass detail, crossfeed is magical, and DSP if you need it.

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #3,000 of 10,526
It does.

It’s really the same tonality and musicality of Mojo but better in every regard (except power and form factor, which remain the same if they work for you). But increased transparency and detail, better bass detail, crossfeed is magical, and DSP if you need it.
What about the top end. I’ve heard it’s a little bright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back