Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 22, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #2,866 of 10,526
That is a good point, so I actually only need a Poly Case as otherwise it would be hooked up in Desktop mode...
One question about that btw:

Am I right that if I use a USB-C Cable, it would transmit Data from Computer to the Mojo 2, but as charging only happens using the micro USB charging port, I need a second cable attached to have it charging all the time?
You are correct.

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #2,868 of 10,526
Ok wow.
That means Desktop Mode actually means you don’t unplug your charging micro isb cable even though the bat battery is fully loaded, and not that you operate it as a dac connected to your pc constantly (and with another usb cable)?
Hm.
Think about it, it has Coax and Toslink inputs too, so Desktop mode couldn't/shouldn't be limited to USB alone.

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #2,869 of 10,526
Ok wow.
That means Desktop Mode actually means you don’t unplug your charging micro isb cable even though the bat battery is fully loaded, and not that you operate it as a dac connected to your pc constantly (and with another usb cable)?
Hm.

Correct. The charging circuit requires the use of the dedicated micro USB connection. That connection does not transmit data. I assume this is done to reduce noise. But I could be wrong; I often am.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #2,870 of 10,526
Think about it, it has Coax and Toslink inputs too, so Desktop mode couldn't/shouldn't be limited to USB alone.
Right, I know there are more inputs than usb, you could plug in a dap on toslink like I used to with my iriver h120 15y ago, but I somehow thought that in dektop mode I would charge and transfer data using one permanently plugged in usb
Like I do using a wm1a in dac mode

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #2,871 of 10,526
I bought the Curious Hugo Link used, and together with the AQ Jitterbug has been working wonders with MojOG,
light years ahead of the generic cable I was using and I love the sound.
Works like a charm
Thanx for the tip. 20220222_171842.jpg

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,875 of 10,526
For what it is worth, since Mojo warms up during use and more during charging and even more during charging and working, I chose not to use a case and sold mine!
it just cooks up inside the case - just don't scratch it!
Those who have Poly, have to have a case for stability.
I am a couple of weeks into Poly/Mojo using an early Mojo original. Added a case last week and had a couple of back to back unexpected shutdowns... Cause seemed to be a warmish Mojo. Runs much warmer when in the case. Solution - put the unit on its side while in use and charging. More surface area exposed to airflow aids in keeping things cool and eliminates the problem. My Mojo 2 just arrived so I am going to take some temperatures of both and see where it leads but I think you can have your case and eat it too with that one simple move.

Feb 22, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #2,877 of 10,526
If/when Apple creates their own version of Bluetooth for Hi-Res streaming (some predict it's going to happen since their AirPods Max don't currently play Hi-Res Apple Music without being wired) will the Poly be able to do a firmware update to work with this new Codec?

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #2,878 of 10,526
I am a couple of weeks into Poly/Mojo using an early Mojo original. Added a case last week and had a couple of back to back unexpected shutdowns... Cause seemed to be a warmish Mojo. Runs much warmer when in the case. Solution - put the unit on its side while in use and charging. More surface area exposed to airflow aids in keeping things cool and eliminates the problem. My Mojo 2 just arrived so I am going to take some temperatures of both and see where it leads but I think you can have your case and eat it too with that one simple move.
Or you can do my Mod. ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-modification.945220/ ) to help cooling.
It really works!
Mostly for fun though.

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,879 of 10,526
Maybe, but a poly firmware update might require you to buy an original mojo manufactured between 2017 to 2019.

Feb 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,880 of 10,526
I previously wrote to Chord about heat from the Mojo OG and the Poly. I had both in a case and used it while working outdoors during the warm weather. Here is their reply:

“The answer to the temperature questions is that Mojo and Poly have a thermal cutout. If this is not exceeded, they'll keep working as normal. Given this cutout is set for something in the region of 70 degrees, you should be fine.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back