Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,836 of 10,535
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #2,837 of 10,535
does anyone here know if I could use mojo 2 charging and playing music at same time? I will use it in my desktop pc.
Yeah, Mojo 2's desktop mode should cover this pretty well. I'm actually wondering if there any drawbacks of leaving the Poly + Mojo 2 continuously connected in terms of Poly's battery behaviour/health?

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #2,839 of 10,535
Hello! I have Mojo1 but wanted to ask if there are ways to use two 3.5mm out to make a pseudo 4.4 balance out, for better soundstage. I get that poly is one way to improve mojo sq and usability. Can we increase soundstage just like a decent dap?
Mentioned pw audio 4.4 adapter, I believe, is a single ended 4.4mm out using one of 3 5mm as a ground/shielding. Anyone noticed improvement of SQ with this one? Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #2,840 of 10,535
Hello! I have Mojo1 but wanted to ask if there are ways to use two 3.5mm out to make a pseudo 4.4 balance out, for better soundstage. I get that poly is one way to improve mojo sq and usability. Can we increase soundstage just like a decent dap?
Mentioned pw audio 4.4 adapter, I believe, is a single ended 4.4mm out using one of 3 5mm as a ground/shielding. Anyone noticed improvement of SQ with this one? Thanks!
No.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,841 of 10,535
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #2,842 of 10,535
Hi all, am thinking of getting the Mojo 2, if only because I can't afford the Hugo 2 right now, and by the time I can, hopefully there'll be a Hugo 3 or similar available :D

Haven't owned a Chord product before (but listened to them at CanJam and been very impressed).

So, I have three questions as a newbie to the Mojo II, and if anyone can help me with any/all, I would really appreciate it! :D

1) Fantastic to see the two 3.5mm outputs along with the advice that we can listen to both simultaneously, meaning I can share my music on high end gear with others!
BUT, nearly all of my cables are now 4.4mm.
So if I were to get (for example) two of those DD-Hifi '3.5mm male to 4.4mm female' Thor's hammer style adaptors, could I use them both at the same time, just as I'd otherwise be able to with a pair of 3.5mm terminated cables? Am not a tech person, so just want to check :)

2) I have the Sony WM1Z DAP. What would be the way(s) in which I could use this with the Mojo II, and which cables would that require?

3) I love the Sony DAP for its DSEE AI-based digital upsampling, which takes tracks in mp3 or 16 bit FLAC and upsamples them to hi-res audio quality (quite noticeable effect!). Would I still be able to use this whilst feeding the sound out to the Mojo II in order to gain the benefits of the Mojo sound signature as well?
Much of my collection is in hi-res FLAC already, but I have certain albums/songs that I can only find in lower res FLAC or even mp3 format.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #2,843 of 10,535
I found this from Qutest thread!
(Let me know if I should remove it)
"
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:18 AMPost #4,529 of 5,981
[IMG alt="Rob Watts"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/394/394072.jpg?1397540867[/IMG]

Rob Watts

Member of the Trade: Chord Electronics​

Yes the events at Dubai Audio will be public. I don't have the detailed times of it yet...

My DACs are innately single ended, so adding balanced will add extra circuitry, and hence degrade transparency. This is the reverse of other DACs - they have to be balanced, as it's impossible to remove common mode noise from the chip substrate unless you go differential (balanced)."

I own a qutest too. I love it. I mainly use it with violectric amp(SE out) and focal headphones so thought soundstage was okay! Iems for mojo do not have very wide soundstage when compared with my ak dap balanced out. Seems like thanks to FPGA processing, Chord Dacs do not need balanced for black background and using it is not recommended. Then, there are not many ways to increase soundstage other than using speakers I guess? 🤔

Hybrid iem cables(silver gold alloy etc) may increase perceptions of soundstage a bit..

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #2,844 of 10,535
Hi all, am thinking of getting the Mojo 2, if only because I can't afford the Hugo 2 right now, and by the time I can, hopefully there'll be a Hugo 3 or similar available :D

Haven't owned a Chord product before (but listened to them at CanJam and been very impressed).

So, I have three questions as a newbie to the Mojo II, and if anyone can help me with any/all, I would really appreciate it! :D

1) Fantastic to see the two 3.5mm outputs along with the advice that we can listen to both simultaneously, meaning I can share my music on high end gear with others!
BUT, nearly all of my cables are now 4.4mm.
So if I were to get (for example) two of those DD-Hifi '3.5mm male to 4.4mm female' Thor's hammer style adaptors, could I use them both at the same time, just as I'd otherwise be able to with a pair of 3.5mm terminated cables? Am not a tech person, so just want to check :)

2) I have the Sony WM1Z DAP. What would be the way(s) in which I could use this with the Mojo II, and which cables would that require?

3) I love the Sony DAP for its DSEE AI-based digital upsampling, which takes tracks in mp3 or 16 bit FLAC and upsamples them to hi-res audio quality (quite noticeable effect!). Would I still be able to use this whilst feeding the sound out to the Mojo II in order to gain the benefits of the Mojo sound signature as well?
Much of my collection is in hi-res FLAC already, but I have certain albums/songs that I can only find in lower res FLAC or even mp3 format.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Hello!
1) yes you can. Or use pw audio mojo 4.4 out for neater single 4.4mm out
2,3) I am not familiar with wm1z but I hope someone with better knowledge would chime in. Mojo only accepts digital usb or coax input. No analog input. You may use a special cable or a walkman dock to Sony's wm digital port, to use wm1z as a source I guess. Pha-3 or zh1es comes with digital cable that can be connected to wm digital port, but the other end seems to be priprietary as well.
Screenshot_20220221-073822_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #2,845 of 10,535
Balanced itself doesn't automatically make better SQ or soundstage, it's how the source is tuned/configured. The only thing having a balanced output really affects is power output (which doesn't equate to better SQ itself either, depends the specific case).

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2,846 of 10,535
Balanced itself doesn't automatically make better SQ or soundstage, it's how the source is tuned/configured. The only thing having a balanced output really affects is power output (which doesn't equate to better SQ itself either, depends the specific case).
Sounds good. AK se100 must have been tuned up well for balanced 2.5 out. I may try pw audio mojo 4.4 adapter in the future for power increase. Thanks!

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2,847 of 10,535
Seeing some of these 'pseudo balanced' adaptors which connect to both of the mojo's 3.5mm jacks makes me wonder if they're taking left from one connector and right from the other. If so, they'd be increasing the ground resistance, and increasing crosstalk - one thing which true balanced is intended to reduce. The effect is probably negligible, or maybe not when people can hear things down to -301dB.

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #2,848 of 10,535
I may try pw audio mojo 4.4 adapter in the future for power increase. Thanks!
No, the adapter doesn't convert the 3.5 jack to balanced, lol. It just lets you use the 4.4 plug with the system. You're getting the same output as 3.5mm. Actually, unless the adapter is 100% transparent (which it most likely isn't), you're losing a little bit of SQ.

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #2,849 of 10,535
Seeing some of these 'pseudo balanced' adaptors which connect to both of the mojo's 3.5mm jacks makes me wonder if they're taking left from one connector and right from the other. If so, they'd be increasing the ground resistance, and increasing crosstalk - one thing which true balanced is intended to reduce. The effect is probably negligible, or maybe not when people can hear things down to -301dB.
can anyone explain what is the benefit of these devises?

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,850 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back