Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 20, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2,821 of 10,527
It is no secret the DSD signal is converted to a traditional format on Chord DACs. So the EQ happens in that intermediate.
actually I had never heard that!
Chord just filters the DSD into analog , it wouldn't get upscaled or go through WTA filter, pretty much untouched.
As far as I know.

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #2,823 of 10,527
actually I had never heard that!
Chord just filters the DSD into analog , it wouldn't get upscaled or go through WTA filter, pretty much untouched.
As far as I know.
I think Chord converts DSD into PCM, but i could be right.

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #2,824 of 10,527
Spent some time today comparing the Mojo 2 + Poly and the SP2000. Not the most fair comparison given the price difference but I thought it would be a useful data point for anyone considering getting one of those.

Given that both devices are Roon ready, I grouped their playback on Roon and switched between them. I used my test playlist containing a mix of pop, jazz, soundtrack, female and male vocals. Here are my first impressions:
  • SP2000 is more detailed overall, especially in the treble region.
  • SP2000 sounds more refined but also more analytical. Mojo 2 has a fuller, more musical sound signature. The "winner" here comes down to personal preference.
  • Mojo 2 maybe has a small edge on stage size? Not by a lot though.
  • Mojo 2 has a small edge on transparency.
  • My use of portable audio is mostly around having a pocketable "end point" controlled from my mobile phone, either through Roon or Bluetooth i.e. I mostly use the SP2000 as a Roon end point. In that context, I tend to like the Mojo 2 + Poly more as it better matches my use cases and I don't have to deal with clunky Android UIs from DAPs.
In terms of pairings, here are my preferences after some quick listening:
  • U12t: SP2000
  • Odin: SP2000
  • Anole VX: Mojo 2
  • LCD-5: Mojo 2
  • Elite: Mojo 2
For some reason, Mojo 2 seems to scale better when paired with full-size headphones, especially with cross-feed enabled. SP2000 is excellent with IEMs but the Anole VX sounded really special with the Mojo 2.

IMG_5099.JPG

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,826 of 10,527
Spent some time today comparing the Mojo 2 + Poly and the SP2000. Not the most fair comparison given the price difference but I thought it would be a useful data point for anyone considering getting one of those.

Given that both devices are Roon ready, I grouped their playback on Roon and switched between them. I used my test playlist containing a mix of pop, jazz, soundtrack, female and male vocals. Here are my first impressions:
  • SP2000 sounds more refined but also more analytical. Mojo 2 has a fuller, more musical sound signature. The "winner" here comes down to personal preference.
  • My use of portable audio is mostly around having a pocketable "end point" controlled from my mobile phone, either through Roon or Bluetooth i.e. I mostly use the SP2000 as a Roon end point. In that context, I tend to like the Mojo 2 + Poly more as it better matches my use cases and I don't have to deal with clunky Android UIs from DAPs.
For some reason, Mojo 2 seems to scale better when paired with full-size headphones, especially with cross-feed enabled. SP2000 is excellent with IEMs but the Anole VX sounded really special with the Mojo 2.

IMG_5099.JPG
Mojo 2 drives planars easily?

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #2,828 of 10,527
DSD is converted to PCM on Chord DACs. Also, you can’t apply DSP changes (likeEQ) to DSD.

Feb 20, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,829 of 10,527
The Mojo 1 is too digital and harsh which is not correct soundwise.

So one of the portable benchmarks I have used, it is not amazing. The Chord Dave absolutely destroys it. But that is to be expected as it is a consumer device which simply has a headphone output as an after thought.

I can take my AFC 2 Noire for example or whatever headphone and listen on this "consumer level" portable device and it is actually quite enjoyable to listen to. With the Mojo, there is always some "harshness" and "digital" sound which ruins the listening experience for me. The Mojo 1 is probably better at "technicalities", but the listening experience is not that great for me. Now I won't mention which device it is as head-fi will probably explode.

The Chord Dave (fully optimised to eliminate all external noise) also doesn't have this problem of the Mojo 1. I can take my Focal Utopia (with super high-end cables) and it sounds super smooth, relaxed and analog with a massive soundstage. Yet at the same time, you hear absolutely everything. Basically everything sounds amazing on this setup.

So I basically miss the sit back and enjoy all the music experience with Mojo 1. Now I know I am the minority, so you should probably ignore my opinion about the Mojo 1 as the consensus is that the Mojo 1 is somehow super amazing.

I guess I must have a particular set of ears that somehow finds the Mojo 1 "digital" and "harsh". I honestly thought my Mojo 1 was broken all this time.
Did you use USB shielding with the Mojo 1? This should make it a lot smoother

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #2,830 of 10,527

IMG_5099.JPG
Is that the pwaudio plug 4.4 adapter? So it was released for the mojo, but fits the mojo 2? Thanks

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #2,834 of 10,527
does anyone here know if I could use mojo 2 charging and playing music at same time? I will use it in my desktop pc.
RTFM

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,835 of 10,527
does anyone here know if I could use mojo 2 charging and playing music at same time? I will use it in my desktop pc.

Yes because power and data use different inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back