Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 17, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,731 of 10,404
Mine arrived a day early!! Will wonders never cease?? I'm charging it up now. Currently, the Menu button is white and the light below the charging port is pulsing blue. How does this change when it is fully charged? Are both lights out? thx

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #2,732 of 10,404
Mine arrived a day early!! Will wonders never cease?? I'm charging it up now. Currently, the Menu button is white and the light below the charging port is pulsing blue. How does this change when it is fully charged? Are both lights out? thx
The charge status light (small one under the USB port) will change to solid purple, which is “desktop mode” and removes the battery completely.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #2,733 of 10,404
If it helps anyone, I created an Excel sheet to play around with and predict the DSP effects. Try it and feel free to make improvements to the factors I used, which I tried many best to estimate from Rob's PDFs (in the Watts Up thread).

https://mega.nz/file/SzgG0JJQ#WHIJKWvgsmMXA9JRKiA1uf_Ggq0UfaUEoRsmoXnnK_Q

Edit: added image of Excel tool
Edit2: I also changed the horizontal axis to start at 10 and show 00, 1000, etc. as this is more intuitive and you can better read the frequencies.
1645139759255.jpeg

PS: My Mojo 2 has 7 screws :beerchug:
So, this is helping with Mojo 2 DSP. I LIKE THE DCA Ether2, but they can Sound a bit dark (and sweet) with the velour pads. Using the Crinacle measurements, I can see that I want to boost around 4kHz some. Playing around with the calculator gets me this with +6 at 3k and -9 at 20k. Now Ether2 sounds more like most neutrally tuned HPs:

1645155295531.png

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #2,734 of 10,404
Will outlast me but how much it will cost me. I am not saying that batteries bring no benefits. I am just saying is our only viable solution. Let me ask you something. If you had wirelessly transited electricity based on Tesla's theory, would you opt for batteries? The only reason we use batteries is because there is no other alternative for mobile devices. If batteries were great we would be powering our amplifiers also with batteries. Is an evil we have to live with. At least for now.
Actually, according to Mr. Watts (per his interview with J. Darko), to get the most out of the Mojo it should be used in battery mode. The battery saving feature was a nod to full system users who used the Mojo with it constantly plugged in and hence continually trickle charging the battery and reducing its life. But is it not a perfect solution. So he might agree with your assertion of the primacy of batteries in amplifiers.

Feb 18, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2,735 of 10,404
There was a very very small company that went by Red Wine Audio that made really interesting desktop stereo amps, DAC's and headphone DAC/amps that used an internal battery that was charged from the external power supply. If I recall, you could choose between AC or DC mode but this was back around 2011-2014, but the wood variants look really nice and I swear they also had an ifi like tube hybrid mode in some models. I think the designer/owner, Vinnie, changed the company name, and I'm not really sure where he went with the name change. I found out about the older products from a John Darko post about 10 years ago. I don't really follow home stereo but I've read about some use battery power in high-end products charged the same way the Red Wine Audio, products were. Lastly, I remember one audio shop near where I grew up swore by and only stocked the 9v battery-powered Grado amp over the ac version.

Back on topic, I received my Mojo 2 and Poly, and after fully charging I tested the Mojo 2 before setting up the Poly (update, setup it easy peasy after 5 minutes reading the PDF on Chords site) and compared it to my Mojo 1 and Hugo 2. The first headphone I tested was my ZMF Aeolus Ziricote and was pleasantly happy with the sound as I swear the stock turning does live up to Rob Watts's updated sound signature. Testing the Hugo 2 was a very odd comparison as the Mojo 2's new 4 band EQ settings hand me won over the Hugo 2. I would be happy with the Hugo 2 but really enjoyed this pairing, I wonder what Zach will say about pairing ZMF headphones paired with the Mojo 2. My Violetric v280 obviously has far more power but again the Mojo 2 gave the Aeolus an interesting change, mostly in the upper midrange to treble. More open and detailed however maybe it's psychoacoustics but will be pairing those 2 for the next month to get the full picture.

The second pairing was with my Campfire Andromeda Gold's and absolutely love this pairing so far. It lived up to its extra bass from the 2 additional bass BA's and still kept the bass articulate. I experienced similar attributes of the Mojo 2 updated tuning from the Aeolus with the Andromeda Golds. I will need many more hours to let my personal hype not skew what I'm really liking coming out of the Mojo 2. I reset the Ultra HD DPS EQ and didn't mess with the EQ settings as I wanted to really take my time with this pairing. So far this was my favorite IEM pairing as I felt my Solaris 2020 might need to take advantage of the DSP EQ. I didn’t count the Solaris 2020 test as it was less than 10 minutes.

I'm going to test my HD800s, Clear Mg Pro, and maybe one more headphone/IEM over the weekend. But my 11-12 hour first-day impressions were very positive, as I can usually tell pretty quickly if I'm going to keep a new purchase in my collection and the Mojo 2 and Poly are most defiantly staying, an extremely good first impression.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #2,736 of 10,404
There was a very very small company that went by Red Wine Audio that made really interesting desktop stereo amps, DAC's and headphone DAC/amps that used an internal battery that was charged from the external power supply. If I recall, you could choose between AC or DC mode but this was back around 2011-2014, but the wood variants look really nice and I swear they also had an ifi like tube hybrid mode in some models. I think the designer/owner, Vinnie, changed the company name, and I'm not really sure where he went with the name change. I found out about the older products from a John Darko post about 10 years ago. I don't really follow home stereo but I've read about some use battery power in high-end products charged the same way the Red Wine Audio, products were. Lastly, I remember one audio shop near where I grew up swore by and only stocked the 9v battery-powered Grado amp over the ac version.

Back on topic, I received my Mojo 2 and Poly, and after fully charging I tested the Mojo 2 before setting up the Poly (still dealing with setup issues) and compared it to my Mojo 1 and Hugo 2. The first headphone I tested was my ZMF Aeolus Ziricote and was pleasantly happy with the sound as I swear the stock turning does live up to Rob Watts's updated sound signature. Testing the Hugo 2 was a very odd comparison as the Mojo 2's new 4 band EQ settings hand me won over the Hugo 2. I would be happy with the Hugo 2 but really enjoyed this pairing, I wonder what Zach will say about pairing ZMF headphones paired with the Mojo 2. My Violetric v280 obviously has far more power but again the Mojo 2 gave the Aeolus an interesting change, mostly in the upper midrange to treble. More open and detailed however maybe it's psychoacoustics but will be pairing those 2 for the next month to get the full picture.

The second pairing was with my Campfire Andromeda Gold's and absolutely love this pairing so far. It lived up to its extra bass from the 2 additional bass BA's and still kept the bass articulate. I experienced similar attributes of the Mojo 2 updated tuning from the Aeolus with the Andromeda Golds. I will need many more hours to let my personal hype not skew what I'm really liking coming out of the Mojo 2. I reset the Ultra HD DPS EQ and didn't mess with the EQ settings as I wanted to really take my time with this pairing. So far this was my favorite IEM pairing as I felt my Solaris 2020 might need to take advantage of the DSP EQ. I didn’t count the Solaris 2020 test as it was less than 10 minutes.

I'm going to test my HD800s, Clear Mg Pro, and maybe one more headphone/IEM over the weekend. But my 11-12 hour first-day impressions were very positive, as I can usually tell pretty quickly if I'm going to keep a new purchase in my collection and the Mojo 2 is most defiantly staying, an extremely good first impression.
You’re referring to Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 which I owned many years ago and drove with my Gallo Reference 3.5 loudspeakers at the time.

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #2,737 of 10,404
Red Wine Audio was headfi's FOTM back in the days.

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #2,738 of 10,404
So, this is helping with Mojo 2 DSP. I LIKE THE DCA Ether2, but they can Sound a bit dark (and sweet) with the velour pads. Using the Crinacle measurements, I can see that I want to boost around 4kHz some. Playing around with the calculator gets me this with +6 at 3k and -9 at 20k. Now Ether2 sounds more like most neutrally tuned HPs:

What's that calculator? :D
Edit: nvm, I see

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #2,739 of 10,404
If it helps anyone, I created an Excel sheet to play around with and predict the DSP effects. Try it and feel free to make improvements to the factors I used, which I tried many best to estimate from Rob's PDFs (in the Watts Up thread).

https://mega.nz/file/SzgG0JJQ#WHIJKWvgsmMXA9JRKiA1uf_Ggq0UfaUEoRsmoXnnK_Q

Edit: added image of Excel tool
Edit2: I also changed the horizontal axis to start at 10 and show 00, 1000, etc. as this is more intuitive and you can better read the frequencies.
1645139759255.jpeg

PS: My Mojo 2 has 7 screws :beerchug:

Well done. The numbers for each filter agree with my plots.

Note that adding two filters magnitude response won't guarantee 100% accuracy, as the phase shift of each filter would need to be computed for perfect accuracy. When I fire up my APx 555 on a Mojo 2, I will see how accurate it is. My guess is this is more than accurate enough.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #2,741 of 10,404
I'm going to test my HD800s, Clear Mg Pro, and maybe one more headphone/IEM over the weekend. But my 11-12 hour first-day impressions were very positive, as I can usually tell pretty quickly if I'm going to keep a new purchase in my collection and the Mojo 2 is most defiantly staying, an extremely good first impression.
Please let me know what you think of what you think of M2/Poly with HD800S phones. I sometimes use them with Hugo 2 which sounds amazing, but thought that the M2/Poly compared really well considering the realtively small outlay compared to H2.

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #2,742 of 10,404
Does anyone know how to purchase a good-quality USB cable for the Mojo?
I don't have the stock cable and I get differences in SQ with various USB cables I try.
Thanx
I use the audioquest carbon cable together with the dragon tail adapter which has the same wire as the carbon and is available with ligthning and usb c.
the SQ is fine, much better than cheaper wires, but i still don´t know if the wires without dragon tail adapters, work for apple devices.

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #2,745 of 10,404
The issue is that I did try different USB cables and noticed quite profound differences with some. I have one that sounds right to me. The problem is that I lost confidence if I am actually getting the best of the DAC. That's why I was asking for something that the community recommends as reliable.
Absolutely correct. What makes it easier is, there arn´t so many high quality and apple compatible cables.
What makes it worse, is an audioquest diamond cable costs as much as the mojo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back