Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 4, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #1,981 of 10,853
In case anyone was following my earlier tirade about the EQ filters… Rob Watts has confirmed on another thread that the filters are, in fact, much more reasonable and well thought-out than they appear in Chord’s literature. He has actually shared the graphs with the EQ plots at the various settings. I think this is above and beyond and I’m impressed by the transparency. Luckily, in this case, it will help them sell more units. I couldn’t think of a better EQ implementation given 4 bands to suit a wide variety of headphones.

Post in thread 'Watts Up...?'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-16797744

Thank-you. I spent a lot of time worrying about the settings - I didn't want something that would create an artificial, overblown sound, but would meaningfully compensate for transducer deficiencies. So I am very pleased that at least someone thinks i got it right.

I am not convinced on that yet. I left it off and connected overnight with the magenta light up. In the morning the mojo was slightly warm to the touch which indicates that something is going on even on desktop mode and when the mojo is off. Would like to know what

So the internal charger circuit is still on (but not charging), and that means the FPGA is active too (albeit in low power mode), as this provides the intelligence for the charger. Also, it will top up the battery every 11 days by applying a trickle charge cycle, to replenish the batteries internal discharge. So running it for months in desktop mode will ensure the battery is ready to go fully charged. Note also that the full charge voltage is at the long term safe voltage level, not the maximum possible.

Additionally Mojo 2 will still function via the charger port if the battery fails - even if it shorts internally. When off and charging into a short, the menu button will flash red indicating a battery fault. Turning it on, it will still function from the charger, as the shorted battery is disconnected.

What you are asking for is going to be "The Hook" that sells many many Mojo 2's.

I suspect in the near future there will be all kinds of DSP settings being shared for many headphones and IEM's. We will see posts claiming one specific DSP setup for headphone XYZ transforms it into something far beyond what it is. Soon there will be posts claiming certain Mojo 2 DSP settings for headphone ABC make it sound better than their $15,000 desktop system.

My comments aren't to suggest the Mojo 2's DSP functionality isn't terrific, it probably is. However, I do think Rob Watts is going to be laughing all the way to bank due to this coming phenomena.

Commercial success is always welcome, but this wasn't my primary motivation. What was important to me was being able to give Mojo 2 the warmth or bloom that Mojo had, but without sacrificing transparency, as at this price level transducers can sound rough, so being able to tame them I felt was essential. Then there was the intellectual challenge of designing a DSP core that was perfectly transparent, and would fit into Mojo 2's FPGA. I had a lot of fun doing that.

Indeed, I was worried that audiophiles wouldn't get the DSP features and see it as a gimmick, so I am delighted that it seems to be going down well.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #1,982 of 10,853
About the EQ filters.
For me it will be easy to adjust the settings but it will be difficult to be sure that the result is better that the neutral position.
If i realise correction on M2 because i have old ears, maybe later, i dislike a little the Hugo2 or the HMS Dave.

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,983 of 10,853
I’m wondering since once the battery is fully charged in desktop mode, the Mojo 2 stops charging it in order not to overcharge, it’s removed from even trickle charge. Whether the battery is in the case or outside, it seems Rob designed the Mojo 2 to not have any of the battery issues of the OG.
the ideal maintenance of the battery occurs when it is around 70% of charge;
keeping it perpetually at 100% or with short charging cycles from 90 to 100% consumes it anyway.
Obviously I say this with great humility, not knowing the new mojo and not wanting to substitute my thoughts for that of the designer

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #1,984 of 10,853
the ideal maintenance of the battery occurs when it is around 70% of charge;
keeping it perpetually at 100% or with short charging cycles from 90 to 100% consumes it anyway.
Obviously I say this with great humility, not knowing the new mojo and not wanting to substitute my thoughts for that of the designer
Read post 1981?

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #1,985 of 10,853
It seems I listen to the first Mojo2 outside UK.
My first impression is : like the MOJO1, the 2 outputs of Mojo2 give not the same sound.
And the difference depends of the headphones’s impedance and the output level.
I prefer the output in front of the LED. It is more dynamic so the details are more audible.
So for comparaison Mojo1 versus Mojo2 be carefull with your comments relatif to the output you used.
Edit : My Mojo2 cames from Digithome in Belgium. two M2 still wait in the shop.
I really struggle to get your stream. Are you suggesting that the two headphone outputs are somehow different?

Feb 4, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #1,986 of 10,853
Thank-you. I spent a lot of time worrying about the settings - I didn't want something that would create an artificial, overblown sound, but would meaningfully compensate for transducer deficiencies. So I am very pleased that at least someone thinks i got it right.

So the internal charger circuit is still on (but not charging), and that means the FPGA is active too (albeit in low power mode), as this provides the intelligence for the charger. Also, it will top up the battery every 11 days by applying a trickle charge cycle, to replenish the batteries internal discharge. So running it for months in desktop mode will ensure the battery is ready to go fully charged. Note also that the full charge voltage is at the long term safe voltage level, not the maximum possible.

Additionally Mojo 2 will still function via the charger port if the battery fails - even if it shorts internally. When off and charging into a short, the menu button will flash red indicating a battery fault. Turning it on, it will still function from the charger, as the shorted battery is disconnected.

Commercial success is always welcome, but this wasn't my primary motivation. What was important to me was being able to give Mojo 2 the warmth or bloom that Mojo had, but without sacrificing transparency, as at this price level transducers can sound rough, so being able to tame them I felt was essential. Then there was the intellectual challenge of designing a DSP core that was perfectly transparent, and would fit into Mojo 2's FPGA. I had a lot of fun doing that.

Indeed, I was worried that audiophiles wouldn't get the DSP features and see it as a gimmick, so I am delighted that it seems to be going down well.
I've been listening to the mojo 2 for a couple of days now. First impressions were, perhaps, a little jarring as it is different to the mojo OG in the ways you describe, but after a while I recognised that much of the original mojo character was still there, so that's good.

I think the EQ functions could be a little mis-understood. It obviously isn't like a full parametric EQ which you can spend ages tinkering with and then finding you prefer just turning it off (at least that's what I do sometimes). I could imagine that because there are only 4 bands, people might feel as if they have to use all of them. I've found that on the headphones which I like to EQ (2021 LCD-X) just a bit of bass boost works best. I find it best to leave the treble filters alone, although for other people and other headphones it will be different.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #1,989 of 10,853
I've found that on the headphones which I like to EQ (2021 LCD-X) just a bit of bass boost works best. I find it best to leave the treble filters alone, although for other people and other headphones it will be different.
How are you driving a headphone like this with the Mojo 2? I'm pretty much blown away by the sound quality - my Moondroop S8 never did sound this good - but the lack of power seems to be a real disadvantage. I couldn't even drive the Quad ERA-1 to their full potential and they certainly aren't demanding in this regard.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #1,990 of 10,853
How are you driving a headphone like this with the Mojo 2? I'm pretty much blown away by the sound quality - my Moondroop S8 never did sound this good - but the lack of power seems to be a real disadvantage. I couldn't even drive the Quad ERA-1 to their full potential and they certainly aren't demanding in this regard.
LCD - X is a very easy to drive headphone

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,991 of 10,853
I've owned the Quad ERA-1s and they are much more difficult to drive than the LCD-Xs. The LCD-Xs are very easy to drive.
The Mojo and Mojo 2 are plenty powerful enough for all but the most inefficient headphones.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #1,992 of 10,853
I've owned the Quad ERA-1s and they are much more difficult to drive than the LCD-Xs. The LCD-Xs are very easy to drive.
The Mojo and Mojo 2 are plenty powerful enough for all but the most inefficient headphones.
You are right, looked it up and the LCD-X are indeed even less demanding. Your other statement imo is nevertheless very much overstating the capabilities of the Mojo 2 as far as power is concerned. It will only satisfactorily drive very sensitive headphones.

Edit: Damn, messed up the settings. It does indeed seem to drive 'all but the most inefficient headphones'. Sorry for that.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #1,993 of 10,853
I really struggle to get your stream. Are you suggesting that the two headphone outputs are somehow different?
If you search on the Mojo 1 thread, you will find that some users have found a difference.
And i think that Rob Watts spoke a little about that.
That why, my first test with the Mojo2 was to listen to this difference.
When i write my post, i had a smile for you.
I was a metrologist and I known the importance of the method to construct a test before showing result.
With humour, i want to say that some owners of Dave spend thousands of euros in alimentation for the same kind of difference.
A well known DAC designer speaks about a little thing at the top of the cake.
My second test will be Poly Mojo2 versus 2go2yu Mojo2 with optical or usb.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #1,994 of 10,853
It seems I listen to the first Mojo2 outside UK.

I received mine yesterday too. It is a nice little dac+amp but soundwise it is not that special compared to my good old geek out 1000. The differences are nearly zero and for me it is not worth to spent 600€. Maybe my ears are not good enough to hear the improvements :wink:.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #1,995 of 10,853
I received mine yesterday too. It is a nice little dac+amp but soundwise it is not that special compared to my good old geek out 1000. The differences are nearly zero and for me it is not worth to spent 600€. Maybe my ears are not good enough to hear the improvements :wink:.
To me, the Mojo 2 so far clearly seems to the best sounding device i have heard in the price range. The detail and clarity are excellent, especially considering that there doesn't seem to be the typical trade-off in regards to musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back