Watts Up...?
Feb 3, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #3,031 of 4,753
Thank you for the response! Sorry to pick your brain for a follow-up question you said that the Q for the peak filters is 0.5. This is for the 20hz peak filter as well? Also, are the shelf filters similarly broad? If I used the "lower treble" shelf filter would I be boosting frequencies below 1000hz?
I don’t think we have Q for shelf filter. We just define DB of Shelf needed and starting frequency of same.

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #3,032 of 4,753
Any improvements made on the USB implementation/chipset in Mojo 2? It's well known that Chord DACs sound best with BNC/toslink. Will I still be reliant on a digital-to-digital converter?

I'd love it if future Chord DACs did some new fangled DDC on USB input so that the sonic performance of all inputs equaled that of BNC/toslink.

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #3,033 of 4,753
Thank you for the response! Sorry to pick your brain for a follow-up question you said that the Q for the peak filters is 0.5. This is for the 20hz peak filter as well? Also, are the shelf filters similarly broad? If I used the "lower treble" shelf filter would I be boosting frequencies below 1000hz?

Peak filters are defined by Q (how sharp the peak is) but shelf filters are not defined by Q.

Here are the actual AP plots as pdf files. Note that these plots are all referenced to 1kHz, so everything is set so that 1k = 0dB.

Attachments

• mojo 2 EQ 3k treble shelf.pdf
    175.3 KB · Views: 0
  • mojo 2 EQ 20.pdf
    168.8 KB · Views: 0
  • mojo 2 EQ 20k treble.pdf
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • mojo 2 EQ 125 bass shelf.pdf
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #3,034 of 4,753
Peak filters are defined by Q (how sharp the peak is) but shelf filters are not defined by Q.

Here are the actual AP plots as pdf files. Note that these plots are all referenced to 1kHz, so everything is set so that 1k = 0dB.
The AP plots offer the explanation I was looking for in the simplest possible format. Thanks again for your work and all the best :)

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #3,035 of 4,753
Hi @Rob Watts , I don't know why I didn't pay attention to Chord DACs till now, but I guess better late than never. Spent the last week or two reading this and the Dave thread, and I got to say, thank you for all the technical insight, you are very generous with your knowledge!

But like everyone else I have a question or two, though not about the Mojo2 which is the new hotness.

I believe you said in a post that the WTA1 filter in the Dave uses up like ~70% of the FPGA space. You also already have 2 configurations available, PCM+ and DSD+. Have you considered making a third, a MScaler+ mode as it were, since it bypasses the WTA1 filter completely, that would free up all of that space on the FPGA, to allow the use of WTA2 for a larger chunk of the filtering to 2048fs, or maybe even allow WTA1 for part of that filtering as well, potentially bypassing the IIR filter too?

Second question, I saw you say that you use a TT2 with your B&W speakers. Is this what you would recommend over using a Dave with a separate power amp? does the direct connection of the TT2 outweigh the other benefits the Dave would offer in that configuration with appropriate speakers, something in the 90+ db sensitivity range?

thank you for all the insight in this thread and others.

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #3,036 of 4,753
Second question, I saw you say that you use a TT2 with your B&W speakers. Is this what you would recommend over using a Dave with a separate power amp? does the direct connection of the TT2 outweigh the other benefits the Dave would offer in that configuration with appropriate speakers, something in the 90+ db sensitivity range?
You have addressed various questions to RW and hopefully he will respond but on your specific question above I can say as a user and someone who has owned the TT2 to direct drive speakers that I feel that the Dave with a good power amp surpasses the TT2 direct driving speakers. In my opinion the Dave is so far ahead of the TT2 in so many areas that any loss of transparency etc due to using a power amp with the Dave is more than made up by the Dave's advantage over the TT2 (provided it is a good power amp of course). Now obviously there is a huge amount of IMO and YMMV in this but that is my 2p / 2c worth and so I sold the TT2 and use the Dave with Pass Labs power amps. (My speakers are 90dB sensitivity).

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #3,037 of 4,753
You have addressed various questions to RW and hopefully he will respond but on your specific question above I can say as a user and someone who has owned the TT2 to direct drive speakers that I feel that the Dave with a good power amp surpasses the TT2 direct driving speakers. In my opinion the Dave is so far ahead of the TT2 in so many areas that any loss of transparency etc due to using a power amp with the Dave is more than made up by the Dave's advantage over the TT2 (provided it is a good power amp of course). Now obviously there is a huge amount of IMO and YMMV in this but that is my 2p / 2c worth and so I sold the TT2 and use the Dave with Pass Labs power amps. (My speakers are 90dB sensitivity).
Tt2 with m scaler is not far behind even dave+ m scaler. One can see that specs wise too tt2 is at par with dave in low gain, though dave and tt2 specs by chord seem to be deliberately quoted differently.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #3,038 of 4,753
Tt2 with m scaler is not far behind even dave+ m scaler. One can see that specs wise too tt2 is at par with dave in low gain, though dave and specs by chord seem to be deliberately quoted differently.
Although it doesn't sound anywhere near as good . . . . . :smiley:

Feb 5, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #3,039 of 4,753
Tt2 with m scaler is not far behind even dave+ m scaler. One can see that specs wise too tt2 is at par with dave in low gain, though dave and specs by chord seem to be deliberately quoted differently.
I think Dave on it's own is quite a bit better than a TT2 with M-Scaler.

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #3,041 of 4,753
Feb 5, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #3,043 of 4,753
There are people who have compared both and differ with what you say.
And there are people who have compared both and differ with what you say (as I have and as I did).

Opinions...

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #3,044 of 4,753
I think Dave on it's own is quite a bit better than a TT2 with M-Scaler.
You, I and many many others think this. In my case I was able to compare side by side over a few months. That others think otherwise does not trouble me. I was only comparing for my own benefit and to enable me to decide on the best configuration for my own system. 👍

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,045 of 4,753
You, I and many many others think this. In my case I was able to compare side by side over a few months. That others think otherwise does not trouble me. I was only comparing for my own benefit and to enable me to decide on the best configuration for my own system. 👍
I also compared side by side over some time, although the improvement was immediately apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back