Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 4, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #2,011 of 10,388
If you search on the Mojo 1 thread, you will find that some users have found a difference.
And i think that Rob Watts spoke a little about that.
That why, my first test with the Mojo2 was to listen to this difference.
When i write my post, i had a smile for you.
I was a metrologist and I known the importance of the method to construct a test before showing result.
With humour, i want to say that some owners of Dave spend thousands of euros in alimentation for the same kind of difference.
A well known DAC designer speaks about a little thing at the top of the cake.
My second test will be Poly Mojo2 versus 2go2yu Mojo2 with optical or usb.
I have both mojo and i don't hear any difference in sound at all between the 2 jacks in either M1 or M2. The only difference i hear is between the two mojo

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #2,012 of 10,388
I have been following this thread with interest. I have had an iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon for nearly three weeks now. I didn't know that Chord were going to release this new Mojo until I read about it at the thread on the Gryphon actually. So, I know that if I like the idea of the Mojo 2 then I can still return my Gryphon, I have up to 30 days before I am fully committed to it.

I suspect I am going to keep the xDSD Gryphon although there is a great deal I like about the Mojo 2. I really like what I am reading about the inclusion of the DSP in particular the cross-feed. I am a big fan of cross-feed for headphone DAC/Amps. I love xSpace on the Gryphon and in fact I use it 90% of the time.

I love the look of the new Mojo and I always loved the look of the old Mojo. The buttons on the Gryphon are probably a little bit better suited to me because I use a shoulder-bag always when I'm out doing things and the Gryphon has that big circular volume knob which is lit and so I can look down into the bag it is is so easy to see and locate. However this is a really small matter and I haven't ever tried out either the old Mojo or the new one.

The one big thing that is causing me to probably stay with the Gryphon is something that has surprised me by how useful it is and that is the bluetooth connectivity. This is just so useful when walking or getting the bus. The sound quality is noticeably diminished, but it is still really surprisingly good and enjoyable, leagues better than the bluetooth on my Audio-Technica ATH-M50XBT headphones. As I use an iPhone I'm using AAC of course.

So, when I'm out I also take the OTG cable and after doing various things for the day I love to sit maybe on a park bench or, if it is isn't too cold, at the promenade here in Brighton & Hove city or maybe a cafe and then I plug in the Gryphon and have really superb sound quality using my FiiO FH7 IEMs which are another recent purchase and for me are quite a revelation actually.

I have looked into the idea of using the Mojo 2 with the Poly. If my circumstances were different I think I would go that route, I'm thinking it would be great if I were working in a office or something perhaps and I would take the Mojo 2 and Poly with me each day and have my own ultra-cool sound system using the WiFi in the office. However that isn't my situation and I prefer the simplicity of just having the Gryphon with its bluetooth connection possibility for my iPhone.

So, all in all I think I will probably be sticking with my Gryphon but it is interesting to see how people are getting on with the really cool new Mojo 2.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,013 of 10,388
How interesting. I find the difference night and day. The original was “closed in” and flat 2D sounding. New one paints a complete soundstage. Luckily that was the factor I missed most in OG. I’d suggest your headphones are not up to the job which will therefore save you $600!
I'm
I just remember 6,7 years ago with Mojo OG wondering what exactly did i pay for, contributed zero soundwise, im definitely not being negative, genuinely want to hear what others are praising so much, I don't hear it.. let's see this time, with some bass shelf maybe..

I'm curious what cable and associated equipment used to not have been blown away by the sound quality of Mojo OG...my M2 comes (hopefully) next week!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #2,014 of 10,388
There is via UAC 1. Several dacs support it. I use a Schiit Fulla E that does. The original Mojo did not. I was just hoping the Mojo 2 would work without a HDMI splitter.
I did a search the other day specifically about the PS5 USB output to the ifi hipdac and people said it won't work so I didn't bother trying it for myself.

I have a day off work tomorrow and am curious now, I will try all three DACs, ifi hipdac, Mojo 1 and 2 and I'll update you tomorrow okay.

Regarding that HDMI audio extractor that rwelles linked to, dosn't that just do the same as your tv, pass through the digital to optical, assuming your tv has optical out or am I missing something, if it does just the same thing it would just be an extra box/cable in the way and maybe not HDMI 2.1 compliant if you want the best out of the console to the tv.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,015 of 10,388
Then there was the intellectual challenge of designing a DSP core that was perfectly transparent, and would fit into Mojo 2's FPGA. I had a lot of fun doing that.
Ya gotta love this man!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,016 of 10,388
I'm

I'm curious what cable and associated equipment used to not have been blown away by the sound quality of Mojo OG...my M2 comes (hopefully) next week!
No.matter, hundreds of money worth😌

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #2,017 of 10,388
Check the presentation Rob Watts shared about the Mojo 2, there he states that Line Out preset was dropped and explains why.
Short version: Mojo 2 is even better suited to run as a system DAC, and like with the original Mojo, yes, the volume buttons control the output voltage.
This is good news, but I am a bit confused. With the Mojo the line mode output is set at 3v which is not ideal for my pre amp. With the Mojo 2 would I be able to lower it to something more suitable?

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #2,018 of 10,388
Looking through the online manual I cant see a reference to a line level mode, unlike the Mojo where it is activated by pressing the two volume buttons simultaneosly. I have three questions:-
1. Is this an omission in the manual?
2. Is the Mojo 2 not designed to be used through an amplifier and speakers?
3. If it can, what is the output voltage, or is this controlled by the volume buttons?
Thanksn
Those features have been dropped in Mojo 2. They were never quite right for the amps I used, so I'd always adjust manually. My desktop speaker (Monitor Audio) was a good benchmark for a distortion free level. Mojo 2 LED's are pretty close to Mojo's (for this setup)

Either way, it was no bother getting the right level with Mojo 2.

Attachments

• tmp-1643992663045_copy.jpg
    tmp-1643992663045_copy.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 4, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #2,019 of 10,388
This is good news, but I am a bit confused. With the Mojo the line mode output is set at 3v which is not ideal for my pre amp. With the Mojo 2 would I be able to lower it to something more suitable?
Line mode on the Mojo has always been simply a shortcut to a volume preset, nothing more. You always had the ability to lower the volume 4 clicks from ‘line mode’ to output around 1.9V with the Mojo1. No hardware was ever bypassed in line mode with the Mojo1 and the same goes for Mojo2.

Again, for all the thread readers, all of Rob’s designs are VERY different from other DAC/amp combos so you shouldn’t worry about double amping as his output is more akin to other DAC’s line-out.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,020 of 10,388
With Mojo1 many people had that issue, just lower the volume a few clicks as required.

With Mojo2 as there is no pre-set line-out volume option simply set the Mojo2's output voltage level to suit your amplifiers input requirement and to get the required output within the range of its gain control.

That is all there is too it, neither Mojo needs an output stage amp bypass mode in "line out" mode as they don't have a headphone amplifier stage in the traditional sense.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,021 of 10,388
@Rob Watts

Your interview on the Darko podcast was very enlightening (and should be required listening for any of the headfiers who want some insight into the creator’s intentions and decision making process for the Mojo 2).

https://darko.audio/2022/02/podcast-rob-watts-on-the-chord-mojo-2/

You mentioned that crossfeed is something you really enjoy when listening to headphones.

Can one of the many headfiers who are smarter than I am on the subject please provide a quick summary of what crossfeed is and the benefits?

Does it mess with the stereo mix of a piece of music?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #2,022 of 10,388
With the OG Mojo you can adjust the volume down by 4 clicks from the 3V line level to land at approx 1.9V which is closer to the industry standard of 2V.
The same can be done with the M2, you can adjust the output level to whatever you want.

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #2,023 of 10,388
@Rob Watts

Your interview on the Darko podcast was very enlightening (and should be required listening for any of the headfiers who want some insight into the creator’s intentions and decision making process for the Mojo 2).

You mentioned that crossfeed it’s something you really enjoy when listening to headphones.

Can one of the many headfiers who are smarter than I am on the subject please provide a quick summary of what crossfeed is and the benefits?

Here is a search for @Rob Watts posts regarding crossfeed:

https://www.head-fi.org/search/8418169/?q=Crossfeed&c[users]=Rob+Watts&o=relevance

Feb 4, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,025 of 10,388
@Rob Watts

You mentioned that crossfeed is something you really enjoy when listening to headphones.

Here’s a good place to start, from the designer:
https://www.head-fi.org/search/8418192/?q=Cross-feed&c[users]=Rob+Watts&o=relevance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back