Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 1, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #1,592 of 10,451
From all the years reading Rob Watt’s post, he’s always been brutally honest and very detailed in his writings. With that said, I’m not at all bothered by the very close I/O layout; it’s a given for Poly support day one also. I’m sure there are a lot of home users using the Mojo 1 or Hugo’s with micro USB cables. They can still plug and play with the Mojo 2. If you don’t like the direction a chord has taken, as Rob said, there are a plethora of offerings that would seem to suit you better. I understand people want the shiny new I/O and connectors, but Watts has stated balanced output is not something he designs in his offerings. He‘s never released a lousy-sounding DAC because you didn’t get your 4.4mm (much larger onboard than 3.5mm like his USB-C statement) connector. My Mojo 1 has served my needs just as it stands for, mobile joy.

My Son’s birthday is coming up, and he’s turning 12 and has really taken a considerable liking to headphone hifi and always ask to use my M1. So I’ve decided to replace my M1 for an M2 and will give my Son the Mojo 1 along with a brand new pair of 1st gen Focal Clear Pro (I have two brand new pairs, don’t ask…), he will be absolutely over the moon as he loves the Clear Pros and I still have my Clear Pro Mg all for myself. He spends hours with the Mojo 1 and my Clear Pro Mg, and now he will have his own Clear Pro and M1, which pair amazingly well. I’m more excited to give him his dream headphone hi-fi setup than sit on the forums and cry over Rob Watts I/O decisions, so please move on and stop whizzing on the M2 launch parade.

I will use the M2 I have on order for my campfire IEM’s and travel DAC. It’s a win-win and let’s all give Rob Watts a big round of applause for pushing out amazing DACs.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #1,593 of 10,451
I am wondering what were the cons against also developing a Poly 2 and releasing it together with the Mojo 2?

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #1,594 of 10,451
Where can we find the Mojo 2's case for sale?

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #1,595 of 10,451
I think Chord is a really small, privately owned company that is risk adverse and cannot afford to gamble on a product and take risks/doesn't have lots of money for R&D and this is why we end up with a Chord Mojo2.

That being said the Chord Mojo still sounds better than anything else in the portable (is it really portable?) market. The form factor isn't great, it isn't really portable, more transportable. Again, it sounds amazing but is a PITA.

The Chord Mojo2 seems to be continuing that legacy.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #1,596 of 10,451
Where can we find the Mojo 2's case for sale?

Where can I find a Chord Mojo2 for sale? My local dealer isn't sure they will have a unit for me.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #1,597 of 10,451
Where can I find a Chord Mojo2 for sale? My local dealer isn't sure they will have a unit for me.
I preordered mine from Moon Audio. Expected ship date is February 15th. Hopefully this hold true.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #1,598 of 10,451
Moon has a really good relationship with Chord. I have a good feeling about your order! :)

Moon has done a lot for Chord as a dealer. I am all the way up in Canada and I know about Moon & Chord. I think Moon's review made me finally buy the Mojo in the first place.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #1,600 of 10,451
I just wish I could get my Poly working on a standard network and I didn't need to get a router just specifically to work with the Poly.

Google/Nest Wifi is the router that works. I will need to set it up again. I have no issues with any other device on my network from my cable company.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #1,601 of 10,451
I am looking at the Mojo 2 with interest. Currently I have an iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon, which is fabulous. However I've only had it a couple of weeks and, actually, I could still send it back within the 30 day period if I decide to get a Mojo 2.
This describes perfectly this hobby. You are very impressed with the current setup but for some reason you already thinking to change it, for something else. And it's also a hurry to change it before the return policy ends. So it's like you want to get rid of it as fast as possible, even if the current setup is "fabulous".
The phrase doesn't make any sense, but also shows the true meaning of being an audiophile.
Not fabulous enough.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #1,602 of 10,451
This describes perfectly this hobby. You are very impressed with the current setup but for some reason you already thinking to change it, for something else. And it's also a hurry to change it before the return policy ends. So it's like you want to get rid of it as fast as possible, even if the current setup is "fabulous".
The phrase doesn't make any sense, but also shows the true meaning of being an audiophile.
Not fabulous enough.
It’s about journey and not destination
Let’s chase the unicorn

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,603 of 10,451
I think you are underestimating the sonic improvements from the 16fs WTA filter, DC servo and improved noise shaper compared to your older Hugo 1. Is it a big enough jump to be worth the sonic upgrade? my guess is almost definitely yes but only you can decide.
No Bluetooth is disappointing but in such a small form factor, it would be much harder to isolate the Bluetooth receiver noise from the rest of the DAC I presume.
Chord user interface is definitely extremely idiosyncratic. Even as a Chord super fan, I’m somewhat annoyed. But their focus is always sound quality first. Now whether you like the sound and are willing to pay for it is obviously a very individual decision.
For me that decision is quite easy — I’m mostly done with upgraditis :wink:
I skipped the Hugo2 since I liked the old model better. I‘d rather not expect the new Mojo to be heads and shoulders above the Hugo 2… so most definitely not worth 600€ to me.

Yes, isolating high frequency noise sources like Bluetooth is an engineering challenge. But one I’d prefer Chord to take up on rather than an EQ or backwards compatibility with the Poly…

But I’ll in all honesty skip the rest of the discussion. For one I think it’s not that fair to add more and more rather negative comments about a product that I did not even hear. And… that I don’t even plan on trying out at all. I’m sure it’ll sound good overall, it’s just not what would have persuaded me to get one.

Feb 1, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #1,604 of 10,451
Find out how the Mojo 2 sounds and performs and why we are awarding it, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/chord-electronics-mojo-2-review/

Chord Electronics Mojo 2 (20) - Copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back