Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 13, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #751 of 10,534

That USB-C port looks like it might be hinged -- wonder if it folds back into the case when not in use. I'm looking at the guide grooves on other side and the bottom and the rounded shape of the bottom that would seem to line up with the rest of the case. Just a thought.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #752 of 10,534
That USB-C port looks like it might be hinged -- wonder if it folds back into the case when not in use. I'm looking at the guide grooves on other side and the bottom and the rounded shape of the bottom that would seem to line up with the rest of the case. Just a thought.
Would be interesting if it released with a Poly 2 that stacked on that hinged usb c port.

I think it might just be recessed though.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #753 of 10,534
Would be interesting if it released with a Poly 2 that stacked on that hinged usb c port.

I think it might just be recessed though.
I think the USB-C will be for data only with both C and micro available. Is like Chord saying "we don't think you need it but take it anyway". My expectation is similar to the move from Hugo to Hugo 2. A more refined version which will be evolution rather revolution.

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #754 of 10,534
BTW this was my solution a while ago. this is a cable I put together for connecting my phone to my Mojo. Built into the cable is a tiny USB Hub and a MicroSD card-reader. I have 512GB in it. My Android phone upon inserting the cable, would recognize the storage and Mojo with no issues. all worked very well.
I only stopped using it, once I got a large card for my phone.
HUB and card-reader are about 15mm square by 5mm.

1636986025224.jpeg
In case anyone was interested in more info on this DIY gadget/Cable:
-Power consumption while not accessing the card is about 15mA
-Consumption at full speed write or read (20MB/s) is about 90mA
-Consumption at play mode (1MB/s or less) is about 30mA
The above are crucial, because the player (Phone or DAP) is supplying the power through the USB connection, so it runs its battery down, but under normal use which is playing a song the 30mA is low enough not to be a concern.
OK my phone battery does run down faster with this gadget connected, I probably loose about an hour of use out of my phones total battery usage, not much.

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #755 of 10,534
I think the USB-C will be for data only with both C and micro available. Is like Chord saying "we don't think you need it but take it anyway". My expectation is similar to the move from Hugo to Hugo 2. A more refined version which will be evolution rather revolution.
But my guess is the USB-c is for charging, specially fast-charging (primarily).
The micro-USB data port is as good as USB-C, in other words USB-C has nothing over micro-USB when it comes to audio data.
What USB-C does have, is its native ability to provide 9V 12V even higher voltages at higher currents, i.e. fast-charging!
Also the higher native voltage would have the benefit of bypassing Mojo's switch-mode power section, i.e. less heat, less noise - on top of fast-charge.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #757 of 10,534
The USB-C port is ugly and such a terrible design. Micro USB 🤮🤮🤮

These 2 things are enough to prevent me from buying as a vote against poor design and I’m looking for a small portable DAC. I hope Chord is reading this.

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #758 of 10,534

These 2 things are enough to prevent me from buying as a vote against poor design and I’m looking for a small portable DAC. I hope Chord is reading this.
And if they are, they are supposed to stop production on thousands of units and redesign it?

Dec 18, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #759 of 10,534
1639873241198.png

Dec 18, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #760 of 10,534

Well they say "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" !
To me Chord products are all ugly as sin - so there.
But I don't think Rob Watts was ever going for "pretty" - USB C being reversable is nice and practical, that's all, 'pretty'. . . it ain't, 'superior' . . . (in this case) it ain't.
Only when it comes to being used as a charging port, then yes, it is superior, by design it can carry higher voltages and currents.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #765 of 10,534
If the WA11 topaz can use USBC as well as other options, I would like a very good reason why micro USB is still an option. Most of us no longer even purchase them.

Sound quality and how it compares to Mojo / Hugo and streaming options is what I’m interested in. The Hugo 2/2Go is elegant enough and surpasses many desktop streamer/DAC/amps for IEM and easy to drive headphones. I’m hopeful there will be an affordable solution almost as good as technology trickles down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back