Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #9,766 of 10,812
The leather one is quite nice and does do a good job protecting mojo2 from drop damage. Pricey, but worth it.

Valentinum on Etsy does nice work as well.
Personally find the Chord-made leather case more than sufficient; overall build quality is very solid on the device, and the leather gives nice additional protection from bangs and scrapes.

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #9,767 of 10,812
Specially charging while playing!
Yes, I have always warned against thick covers for Mojo and now Mojo2.
A simple leather skin, keeps scratches away, while still allowing heat dissipation.
If anyone needs a bullet proof case for their audio eq. , it says a lot about them, and how they handle them.
It says they want to protect their expensive audio device and not much else

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #9,768 of 10,812
I tried But Perfect but it hasn’t been updated for years so isn’t great nowadays. However I did see measurements about the Mac that pretty much say the answer is to set its output at the highest rate your files are, so mine would be 192Khz. The upshot is that resampling algorithms are so good, you can't hear the difference.

Speaking as someone who has actually designed sample rate converters (SRC) for ADCs and - more importantly in this context - actually listened to the effects of sample rate conversion, this video and the assertion that SRC is so good you can't hear the difference is just plain wrong. To make SRC work completely transparently is almost impossible, and to get it to work tolerably well requires incredible precision and oversample rates - something that crude interpolators inside computers are incapable of doing. And this is when I am SRC from 104MHz down to 98MHz (for eventual 48kHz decimation). Going from 44.1k up to 192k is very much more difficult, as you have the transient timing issue to worry about too - and the interpolation filters for SRC ignore the transient timing reconstruction issue completely.

When using my DACs do not use SRC or upsampling, always ensure bit perfect data is given to the DAC - then the WTA filter will do a very much better job at reconstructing transient timing than any SRC or external filter. Remember that the WTA filter is the only filter that has been designed (with thousands of listening test to optimise it) to reconstruct the original timing of transients as accurately as possible. Transient timing is absolutely vital for perception, as the brain uses the timing of transients to perceive instruments as separate entities, place them in 3D space, perceive LF pitch, determine timbre, and of course the stopping and starting of notes - vital for rhythm. Music without timbre, pitch, instrument separation and rhythm is just nasty noise.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #9,769 of 10,812
I tried But Perfect but it hasn’t been updated for years so isn’t great nowadays. However I did see measurements about the Mac that pretty much say the answer is to set its output at the highest rate your files are, so mine would be 192Khz. The upshot is that resampling algorithms are so good, you can't hear the difference.

Believing whatever Sharur says in videos is the worst thing in audiophile community. He is just a troll who enjoys bashing down the gear he hasn't even listened or owned.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #9,770 of 10,812
The difference when an SRC converter is engaged when listening to good acoustic recordings with a Chord DAC is VERY audible to me. It kills the soundstage. This is also the reason I never use conventional digital EQ software, as it has to re-sample to work, and has the same result.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #9,771 of 10,812
Speaking as someone who has actually designed sample rate converters (SRC) for ADCs and - more importantly in this context - actually listened to the effects of sample rate conversion, this video and the assertion that SRC is so good you can't hear the difference is just plain wrong. To make SRC work completely transparently is almost impossible, and to get it to work tolerably well requires incredible precision and oversample rates - something that crude interpolators inside computers are incapable of doing. And this is when I am SRC from 104MHz down to 98MHz (for eventual 48kHz decimation). Going from 44.1k up to 192k is very much more difficult, as you have the transient timing issue to worry about too - and the interpolation filters for SRC ignore the transient timing reconstruction issue completely.

When using my DACs do not use SRC or upsampling, always ensure bit perfect data is given to the DAC - then the WTA filter will do a very much better job at reconstructing transient timing than any SRC or external filter. Remember that the WTA filter is the only filter that has been designed (with thousands of listening test to optimise it) to reconstruct the original timing of transients as accurately as possible. Transient timing is absolutely vital for perception, as the brain uses the timing of transients to perceive instruments as separate entities, place them in 3D space, perceive LF pitch, determine timbre, and of course the stopping and starting of notes - vital for rhythm. Music without timbre, pitch, instrument separation and rhythm is just nasty noise.
I was really hoping you'd reply Rob. Thanks for that, much appreciated. Have reinstalled BitPerfect which seems to be working well at the moment on OS Sonoma

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #9,772 of 10,812
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer: I use mine in my desktop setup quite a lot linked to my V202 and A20. I typically don't have the power cable plugged in, running it off battery and recharging it when the battery is running low.

But I wonder whether it is better to have it connected to the power source at all times instead? Particularly having seen how the IFI iDSD Signature appears to work better that way...

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #9,773 of 10,812
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer: I use mine in my desktop setup quite a lot linked to my V202 and A20. I typically don't have the power cable plugged in, running it off battery and recharging it when the battery is running low.

But I wonder whether it is better to have it connected to the power source at all times instead? Particularly having seen how the IFI iDSD Signature appears to work better that way...

Any insights greatly appreciated!
Better for the device's health, or better for sound quality?

If the first, no battery lasts forever, but it's good about not overcharging itself when plugged in, so it should be fine either way. FWIW I leave mine plugged in and connected to my desktop amp most of the time; only exception is when I take it out with me for the day.

If the second, the answer is even more straightforward: try for yourself and decide. I haven't seen measurements comparing the two modes, but I imagine the difference is small beyond audibility. I use an LPS just in case.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #9,774 of 10,812
Better for the device's health, or better for sound quality?

If the first, no battery lasts forever, but it's good about not overcharging itself when plugged in, so it should be fine either way. FWIW I leave mine plugged in and connected to my desktop amp most of the time; only exception is when I take it out with me for the day.

If the second, the answer is even more straightforward: try for yourself and decide. I haven't seen measurements comparing the two modes, but I imagine the difference is small beyond audibility. I use an LPS just in case.
Thanks for the reply; I meant the former, best for battery health. Sounds like I may be OK just to leave it plugged in all the time so. Cheers!

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #9,775 of 10,812
The simple solution would be to turn on airplane mode. Of course, then you can't receive calls outside of WiFi. When you are enjoying the Mojo2, that may not be a bad idea...
And then I wondered, maybe the adhesive magnet acts like a massive ferrite and actually reduces RFI? 🤣

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #9,780 of 10,812
Mojo 2 thread hasn’t had the same impact as the Mojo 1, I remember being there at launch it was insane how many people were interested in chords first “baby DAC” the amount of posts in the thread proves that.
It's really an interesting perspective to read. I used to own the first Mojo and it was interesting; I did like the spinning balls. It seems tho that the lack of innovation, particularly no balanced on a portable device as well as the outdated USB ports have been catching up to them. Don't know how sound is; people say it's better. The original Mojo also had some sound inconsistencies; the Poly was awful and overall sound depended on port as well; it was more interesting through optical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back