Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 3, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #9,798 of 10,904
So just one extra cable

Yes, if we don't count that this travel setup already requires another cable for the DAP to Mojo or phone to Mojo connection. So that's two dedicated cables for one device.

But the difference between a) having just one cable already attached to a charger and ready to service all your devices and b) always dealing with a second cable (of some considerable length, for the reason I outlined above) just for this one specific device does, justifiably, raise the question in people's minds: "why"?

Clearly there are bigger issues out there. :) This is definitely in the field of nitpicking. Personally I am rooting for Chord putting out the Hugo 3 and Mojo 3 with micro-USB out of spite. The fun of that reality in 2026 would outweigh the inconvenience, if I do decide to go for it.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #9,801 of 10,904
So just one extra cable
For me it is an extra charger as well as I mostly use either a 24w or 96w USB-c charger when travelling, depending on if I have a laptop with me or not. Most adapters from C to A are not dimensioned for charging, just data so they are unsafe to charge on at the currents that the mojo 2 pulls.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #9,802 of 10,904
I understand the cable/port frustration. Mini USB, apple 30 pin connector, the various sony proprietary connectors, etc... I've used and seen them all. Even to the point where you could only use the supplied cable or you're screwed (looking at you Astell Kern).

Until MicroUSB and later USB C came out as standards, it was a mess. Well, you have Apple and lightning, (which actually is a really good connection) but even they bowed to usb C.

My solution post USB C "adoption" is to buy a little MicroUSB adapter that attaches to a USB C cable with a little tether like this:

Seminer USB C to Micro USB Adapter (4 Packs), Type C Female to Micro USB Male Convert Connector with Lanyard Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, Micro USB Devices, Black https://a.co/d/fXb8zjc

Or use a system like this:

RETTOPS 540°, 7 pin Rotation USB Magnetic Charging Cable, 3 in 1 Charger [4-Pack, 3ft/3ft/6ft/6ft] 3A Fast Charging Cable Support Data Transfer Magnetic Charger Cable for iPhone/Micro USB/Type C https://a.co/d/goH6LNX

No more port rage. I have my little travel kit with wall charger, long USB C cable, and little adapter. It stays in my laptop bag. YMMV

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #9,803 of 10,904
For me it is an extra charger as well as I mostly use either a 24w or 96w USB-c charger when travelling, depending on if I have a laptop with me or not. Most adapters from C to A are not dimensioned for charging, just data so they are unsafe to charge on at the currents that the mojo 2 pulls.

Well, not quite. The Mojo2 doesn't pull huge power. It's not PD pulling 30-96W like the macbook pro pulls. The 5V 2amp is pretty tame. It's the data transfer that needs the higher quality cable. I use an anker 60W PD GaN charger when I travel because its powerful enough for thr MacBook pro to charge fairly quick, and 1/4 the size of the Apple brick.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #9,804 of 10,904
Well, not quite. The Mojo2 doesn't pull huge power. It's not PD pulling 30-96W like the macbook pro pulls. The 5V 2amp is pretty tame. It's the data transfer that needs the higher quality cable. I use an anker 60W PD GaN charger when I travel because its powerful enough for thr MacBook pro to charge fairly quick, and 1/4 the size of the Apple brick.
I have a couple of adapters where it explicitly says they should not be used for charging and 5v 2A is way above the 5v 0.5a that is the spec for a normal USB-A 2.0 port.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #9,805 of 10,904
Just use a magnetic charging cable with ends that are left attached to your different devices.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #9,806 of 10,904
I have a couple of adapters where it explicitly says they should not be used for charging and 5v 2A is way above the 5v 0.5a that is the spec for a normal USB-A 2.0 port.

5V 0.5a is the spec for usb A from a computer/laptop USB A port. I've had dozens of 5V 2A USB A wall chargers with no name cables. Never had any issues. Except Astell Kern.

It's not that the Mojo2 pulls a lot of current in your case. It's because you have low power adapters/cables.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #9,808 of 10,904
The reason for the negative opinions is simple in my mind. This is without a doubt a portable, to go device for travel. And so one travels. And the Mojo comes with, right? So you take with you a very nice charger for USB-C for your phone, DAP, and anything else. With a nice, sturdy, long cable. But wait... for the Mojo you have to find that micro-USB cable. And wait, it's only 15 cm long, so you need to find good spot to rest the Mojo on at the end of that 15cm cable not knowing where exactly the hotel outlet will be at (disclosure: they are usually in terrible places). Will it be dangling mid-air? That won't work. Or do I keep the laptop on at the end of the day just to slowly charge the Mojo with this 15cm cable? No... I give up, let me go to Amazon and buy a longer micro-USB cable just because of the Mojo. OK, still not frustrated, maybe. But wait, now I travel 20 times a year, sometimes for a week, sometimes for a weekend, sometimes for a short work trip. Different backpacks and setups needed depending. And every-single-time, better make sure I have my special 1.5m micro-USB cable because.... thanks Chord.

That's the frustration with Chord releasing a charging by micro-USB-only device in 2022. For me.
You missed my point. When I travel I would have to take a USB-C charger just for the mojo. So thank you Chord for not making it USB-C…
Despite the hype USB-C is not the ubiquitous charging port in the world today. How many hotel rooms have you been in that have USB-C charging ports? How many aircraft have you been on that have USB-C charging ports, I could go on but the people saying USB-C is a deal breaker are simply blowing smoke.
FWIW I travel with Rolling Square charge cables. They support USB-A or USB-C to USB-C, MicroUSB and lightning all in a single cable, rated to 100W.

Edit: from subsequent posts perhaps you didn’t miss my point and were just having fun 😀

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #9,809 of 10,904
A simple adaptor would do the trick.
An adapter is not what I wanna use when I've bought the device. Nor spend $ on one. Also adapters mess up sound.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #9,810 of 10,904
An adapter is not what I wanna use when I've bought the device. Nor spend $ on one. Also adapters mess up sound.

Or they don't. If you don't want to spend the $, that's understandable. Pentaconn requires more space than a 3.5mm jack. It also costs more money for the manufacturer given it's still a Sony thing. Most importantly, it is totally unnecessary to have a token balanced output when the device is not a balanced design.

The ddHiFi adapter is literally millimeters of extra wiring. And it's not expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back