Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #6,035 of 10,527
Is it safe to use a Balanced Cable with a 4.4mm to 3.5mm Adapter with the Mojo 2?

I remember reading that it wasn't safe to use such a connection with one of my DAC/Amps, I can't remember if it was EarMen Sparrow, Mojo or one of iFi's devices.
I am using DDHIFI converter from 4.4 Bal to 3.5 SE and works well.
but sory I forget which model..

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #6,038 of 10,527
Nice, I've a lot of good Balanced Cables and using stock cables with Mojo 2 was getting boring. Nice to know that there are no issues.

Yes absolutely fine.

ddhifi DJ44C, I use one frequently.

Going 4.4mm to 3.5mm is simply setting up the wiring the two positives going to the left and right channels and the other wire per channel both going to the common grounding sleeve. Literally exactly like if you were soldering one up from scratch, four wires to the three terminals of the 3.5mm.

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/623555.html

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #6,039 of 10,527
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #6,040 of 10,527
Different internal wiring. I have the 1960s version for Hugo2 and regular PW version for Mojo2. Both are excellent. Whether the difference in models is worth the price difference depends on your budget and level of commitment.

$300 for the 1960s version.

It looks cool but beyond visual appeal what is it supposed to do for $300 ?

There is nothing it can do except connect four wires to two positives and one common ground.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #6,041 of 10,527
$300 for the 1960s version.

It looks cool but beyond visual appeal what is it supposed to do for $300 ?

There is nothing it can do except connect four wires to two positives and one common ground.
As mentioned, PW uses a different wiring for the 1960s version, which purportedly is of a more refined quality. I bought that for Hugo 2 as I thought the higher-end Hugo 2 merited a high-end adaptor. I've had the DD ones before, and find they're ok but fairly fragile. I personally don't like the way they rotate when plugged in. In terms of actual sound difference, that's down to each user to determine if it makes a difference. I tend not to quibble about these things too much, I'd just rather maximise the performance and use of whatever source I'm using. If it costs a bit more, so be it.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #6,042 of 10,527
Can anyone recommend a reliable lightening to micro usb cable for the iPhone to connect to the mojo2. Will a lightning to USB C work with the mojo2. Thanks

ddhifi TC28i and a ddhifi TC05 or TC09S cable. USB-C to C cable so it can be used with other gear, TC28i adapter works flawlessly.

Or a ddhifi MFi06 or MFi09S. Direct lightning to USB-C, may not be much use in the future if Apple drop the Lightning connector.

https://www.ddhifi.com/ProductInfoCategory?categoryId=143738&PageInfoId=0

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #6,043 of 10,527
As mentioned, PW uses a different wiring for the 1960s version, which purportedly is of a more refined quality. I bought that for Hugo 2 as I thought the higher-end Hugo 2 merited a high-end adaptor. I've had the DD ones before, and find they're ok but fairly fragile. I personally don't like the way they rotate when plugged in. In terms of actual sound difference, that's down to each user to determine if it makes a difference. I tend not to quibble about these things too much, I'd just rather maximise the performance and use of whatever source I'm using. If it costs a bit more, so be it.

Sure, understood, but I am intrigued how a $300 block can do anything better than join wires together. Sure it can use good internal wiring and quality connections but it is literally joining four wires to three places using internal wiring and metal connection points that touch inside the Mojo jacks and onto the 4.4mm plug.

I don’t want to be contrary but it seems if one was fussing over the nth degree of sound quality a single 3.5mm plug with the wire’s soldered to it internally in the normal fashion would be better than even the very best of adapters that double the unsoldered connection points.

Sure you can use a fancy 4.4mm cable with the Mojo but you could buy what is an almost certainly technically better 3.5mm cable for 300 bucks.

In this hobby I am frankly surprised I have never seen anything about custom hard wiring a headphone cable into the amplifier and dedicating that amplifier and headphone combination.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #6,044 of 10,527
Sure, understood, but I am intrigued how a $300 block can do anything better than join wires together. Sure it can use good internal wiring and quality connections but it is literally joining four wires to three places using internal wiring and metal connection points that touch inside the Mojo jacks and onto the 4.4mm plug.

I don’t want to be contrary but it seems if one was fussing over the nth degree of sound quality a single 3.5mm plug with the wire’s soldered to it internally in the normal fashion would be better than even the very best of adapters that double the unsoldered connection points.

Sure you can use a fancy 4.4mm cable with the Mojo but you could buy what is an almost certainly technically better 3.5mm cable for 300 bucks.
How do we quantify anything? The marvellous aspect of free-market capitalism is the liberty of individual choice (hope my colleagues don't read that).

I do actually agree about the cable aspect. Since basically all my gear is single-ended - aside from few things - I had intended to do away with these adaptors. What prevented me from doing this, is that single-ended cables are very hard to shift on the 2nd hand market, because generally everyone is moving to balanced. So these nice adapters tend to future-proof single-ended sources like Mojo2 and Hugo2. Moreover, with a balanced cable you have the option to go to a single-ended source, whereas one cannot go SE to balanced if one wants to use, for example, a balanced DAP.

But as I say, plenty of choices out there for all kinds of situations. One doesn't have to buy a $300 block.

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #6,045 of 10,527
How do we quantify anything? The marvellous aspect of free-market capitalism is the liberty of individual choice (hope my colleagues don't read that).

I do actually agree about the cable aspect. Since basically all my gear is single-ended - aside from few things - I had intended to do away with these adaptors. What prevented me from doing this, is that single-ended cables are very hard to shift on the 2nd hand market, because generally everyone is moving to balanced. So these nice adapters tend to future-proof single-ended sources like Mojo2 and Hugo2. Moreover, with a balanced cable you have the option to go to a single-ended source, whereas one cannot go SE to balanced if one wants to use, for example, a balanced DAP.

But as I say, plenty of choices out there for all kinds of situations. One doesn't have to buy a $300 block.

Sounds good to me and thanks for the convivial chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back