Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #6,046 of 10,527
I have 2 ddHiFIi DJ35R 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters. Both of them are causing loud screeching noises when inserted to a 3.5mm jack. The customer service told me that it's happening because they are Rhodium plated and it is sensitive to dust and finger holding. I keep them very clean but I am also cleaning them every time with a cloth. Still, I need to rotate them a couple of times after inserting it, to stop the screeching noises.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #6,050 of 10,527
no, i double checked the setting in AM. It is set to Hi Res in the AM settings on the IPAD. Will probably mess with it tonight. thanks
If you already had the files downloaded before selecting hi res the files on the iPad will not be auto updated. You need to delete them and re-download.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #6,051 of 10,527
If you already had the files downloaded before selecting hi res the files on the iPad will not be auto updated. You need to delete them and re-download.
Yeah, it was really user error I believe. Last night I went back and specifically searched for HiRez files and they seem to play at the correct bitrate. I was playing one of the Dolby Atmos playlists, which had a collections of HiRez songs. But all of them defaulted to 44.1Khz. When playing the same playlist on my MacBook Air, they showed the correct bitrate. Odd. But its working now. Thanks.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #6,052 of 10,527
$300 for the 1960s version.

It looks cool but beyond visual appeal what is it supposed to do for $300 ?

There is nothing it can do except connect four wires to two positives and one common ground.
I've had a reply

You get 1960s style sound apparently using 1960s materials

'Adapter for Mojo - 1960s version is based on the material used for 1960s cable, and also it performs the sound style of 1960s. For details of 1960s, we suggest reading some reviews, such as......'

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #6,053 of 10,527
I've had a reply

You get 1960s style sound apparently using 1960s materials

'Adapter for Mojo - 1960s version is based on the material used for 1960s cable, and also it performs the sound style of 1960s. For details of 1960s, we suggest reading some reviews, such as......'

Oh for goodness sake, really.

I think that should tell you something about the market sector they are aiming their $300 adapter at !

How do you join four wires to three places and make it sound different ? Unless they have put some electronics in the adapter to mess with the sound in some way.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #6,054 of 10,527
Yeah, it was really user error I believe. Last night I went back and specifically searched for HiRez files and they seem to play at the correct bitrate. I was playing one of the Dolby Atmos playlists, which had a collections of HiRez songs. But all of them defaulted to 44.1Khz. When playing the same playlist on my MacBook Air, they showed the correct bitrate. Odd. But its working now. Thanks.

Better that you found it was just a you problem than a gear problem 😂

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #6,055 of 10,527
Oh for goodness sake, really.

I think that should tell you something about the market sector they are aiming their $300 adapter at !

How do you join four wires to three places and make it sound different ? Unless they have put some electronics in the adapter to mess with the sound in some way.
Internal wiring can have quite the impact on sound. Copper and it’s different purities, silver, tinned copper, silver played copper…sadly everything matters once you hit a certain resolution level. But yes, $300 for an adapter is very interesting pricing. But people buy Maserati and Bentley and Porsche right? Perhaps part of the appeal is pride of ownership for having a premium product.

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #6,056 of 10,527
Internal wiring can have quite the impact on sound. Copper and it’s different purities, silver, tinned copper, silver played copper…sadly everything matters once you hit a certain resolution level. But yes, $300 for an adapter is very interesting pricing. But people buy Maserati and Bentley and Porsche right? Perhaps part of the appeal is pride of ownership for having a premium product.

Understood in principle but I struggle with a few, lets say 1.5 inch, lengths of wire or board trace in that thing making any audible difference at all.

How is that going to make any difference to the overall conductivity when the cable it is connected to might be 4, 5, 6, 8 feet of copper, silver, goodness knows what wire, unless each wire is different material, sizes, lengths and quality to intentionally mess things up, maybe in a good 1960's way ?

And is a Mojo or Mojo 2, which this thing is designed for, actually good enough for that to matter ? I mean it is a good little DAC but it is still in essence a mass produced consumer grade item made to a price point.

Seems like a hell of stretch to me but what do I know.

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #6,058 of 10,527
Understood in principle but I struggle with a few, lets say 1.5 inch, lengths of wire or board trace in that thing making any audible difference at all.

How is that going to make any difference to the overall conductivity when the cable it is connected to might be 4, 5, 6, 8 feet of copper, silver, goodness knows what wire, unless each wire is different material, sizes, lengths and quality to intentionally mess things up, maybe in a good 1960's way ?

And is a Mojo or Mojo 2, which this thing is designed for, actually good enough for that to matter ? I mean it is a good little DAC but it is still in essence a mass produced consumer grade item made to a price point.

Seems like a hell of stretch to me but what do I know.
Only one to find out and that’s to listen to it.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #6,059 of 10,527
Had some time to myself for a change so I thought I'd A/B my Denafrips Ares II to my Mojo 2. It was originally just for S&G's but I was surprised when I heard a real difference. The Mojo 2 seems to have a bit more clarity and/or more definition to the top end. The biggest difference comes out in the top end of vocals, kinda like that little bit of edge that makes the vocals stand out. I tried eq'ing a little more top end onto the Ares using my Schiit Loki Mini but it added too much and got harsh. In addition to the clarity, the Mojo 2 also added a touch more sound stage. I'm kind of at a conundrum now. I'm not going to make any rash decisions but I think I am liking the Mojo 2 more. I did make a point of making sure the Mojo 2 eq was set to flat. I feel kinda weird contemplating swapping the Ares II out of my desktop setup for the Mojo 2.

I'm running Roon from my desktop PC via USB to a Denafrips Iris and then coax to the Ares II and optical to the Mojo 2. Both the Ares and Mojo are then going to a Schiit SYS switch which then goes to another Schiit SYS which routes the signal to either a RebelAmp or my Woo Audio WA6 tube amp. Using headphones tonight, mostly my Focal Clear and Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back. I'll do more A/B'ing tomorrow using speakers to see how the difference sounds that way. For that, I have the signal going to an emotiva BasX A2m amplifier to a pair of Kef Q150's.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #6,060 of 10,527
Had some time to myself for a change so I thought I'd A/B my Denafrips Ares II to my Mojo 2. It was originally just for S&G's but I was surprised when I heard a real difference. The Mojo 2 seems to have a bit more clarity and/or more definition to the top end. The biggest difference comes out in the top end of vocals, kinda like that little bit of edge that makes the vocals stand out. I tried eq'ing a little more top end onto the Ares using my Schiit Loki Mini but it added too much and got harsh. In addition to the clarity, the Mojo 2 also added a touch more sound stage. I'm kind of at a conundrum now. I'm not going to make any rash decisions but I think I am liking the Mojo 2 more. I did make a point of making sure the Mojo 2 eq was set to flat. I feel kinda weird contemplating swapping the Ares II out of my desktop setup for the Mojo 2.

I'm running Roon from my desktop PC via USB to a Denafrips Iris and then coax to the Ares II and optical to the Mojo 2. Both the Ares and Mojo are then going to a Schiit SYS switch which then goes to another Schiit SYS which routes the signal to either a RebelAmp or my Woo Audio WA6 tube amp. Using headphones tonight, mostly my Focal Clear and Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back. I'll do more A/B'ing tomorrow using speakers to see how the difference sounds that way. For that, I have the signal going to an emotiva BasX A2m amplifier to a pair of Kef Q150's.
What a terrific project. I wonder if the extended signal path favours one over the other? Can you listen directly without all the switches to see if it makes the differences more or less obvious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back