Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 4, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #6,001 of 10,576
Fully agree with your comparison, yet the Mojo OG sounds really great with vocals and compared to other DACs at the price (used og) it still retains that natural quality of the Chord DACs. It has its own magic for me.
For example the Sony IER-Z1R has a quieter/recessed midrange and the Mojo OG really helps to bring vocals more forward and tame the bass and treble.

But no question, the M2 is overall the better DAC, much closer to Hugo 2.
Chord will really need to knock it out of the park with "Hugo 3" to continue justifying the significant premium over Mojo 2...

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #6,002 of 10,576
Chord will really need to knock it out of the park with "Hugo 3" to continue justifying the significant premium over Mojo 2...
I find it odd that many reckon the Mojo 2 to be comparable to the Hugo 2. They exist in very different parts of the market and there is, in my experience, very clear space between them. Hugo 2 is a fair way up the diminishing returns ladder, but it is a few rungs up. Hugo 3 would very likely make a decent sized hole in my wallet😁.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #6,003 of 10,576
Just got my new mojo 2. Without connecting USB, just plug in my earphone and turn mojo2 on and off. I can hear clearly a tiny noise appear when mojo2 is on and such noise is constant when I play music also. Is that normal for mojo 2 as a DAC to have noticeable noise output when there is no music signal?
Chord reply me that for sensitive earphone it is normal, and I just need some attenuation on the line.
I was using the micro iDSD black label before, that one did not have any noise noticeable. I am happy with mojo2, just interested to learn if you guys also notice some noise.
Thanks!
Hi,
Thanks for the useful discussion these days, especially for comments from CaptainFantastic and Tiax. I think I now reach a conclusion.
I now have two Mojo2 at hand and they are both new. The hissing I have noticed does present at both unit similarly. It is a universal hissing picked up from my shure 535 IEM since after mojo2 boots, it is not loud but noticeable, seems like not influence my music, but definitely there. Such hissing does not relate to volume, connection of USB, etc. The hissing can be easily fixed by attenuation (ex ifi iEMatch).
My conclusion is the hissing is normal for mojo2 and my IEM combination. Otherwise it is hard to believe both new mojo2 has similar defective hissing plus their SN is far away from each other. I will keep the one and return another (simply choose the one with less hissing), with Amazon in US, it is super easy to return.
It seems like Tiax and CaptainFantasitc may have different issue, since their hissing is more like a defective unit and easily proved.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #6,004 of 10,576
I am sure they will, but my guess is that it will take a good while until we get to see an update.
Rob Watts has made a point of stating that he only makes updates that are significant and I take that to mean that Hugo 3 will be much more than just a Hugo 2 + EQ. Going by past experience it will be worth the wait and worth the upgrade...

Until then the Hugo 2 is a significant step up from the Mojo 2 and I am enjoying both of them :xf_cool:

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #6,005 of 10,576
I am sure they will, but my guess is that it will take a good while until we get to see an update.
Rob Watts has made a point of stating that he only makes updates that are significant and I take that to mean that Hugo 3 will be much more than just a Hugo 2 + EQ. Going by past experience it will be worth the wait and worth the upgrade...

Until then the Hugo 2 is a significant step up from the Mojo 2 and I am enjoying both of them :xf_cool:

I wonder if a 2025 (assuming) Hugo 3 will still use Micro USB !!

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #6,006 of 10,576
Well, the EU will require all devices to use USB C as the standard connection, though I'm not sure how that would impact devices like the Chord DACs.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #6,008 of 10,576
Well, the EU will require all devices to use USB C as the standard connection, though I'm not sure how that would impact devices like the Chord DACs.
That's only for charging points..
They simply include an adaptor in the package, hey Presto , it becomes legal.
iPhones! they are in trouble.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #6,009 of 10,576
That's only for charging points..
They simply include an adaptor in the package, hey Presto , it becomes legal.
iPhones! they are in trouble.
I heard a rumor (only a rumor!) that the iPhone 15 will be only wireless charging; no connector at all. That's pretty radical move because it would cut off all connection options, not just charging.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #6,010 of 10,576
I heard a rumor (only a rumor!) that the iPhone 15 will be only wireless charging; no connector at all. That's pretty radical move because it would cut off all connection options, not just charging.
Apple stews in a world of their own, compatibility means zip to them. So sounds about right.
I wouldn't be surprised if the wireless charging and future Bluetooth connections be only apple devices compatible.
Beauty of it is, that my daughters , would keep on buying apple regardless.
Why should apple change?

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #6,012 of 10,576
That'll do wonders for the environment, given the losses in wireless charging. I wouldn't put anything past them though.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #6,013 of 10,576
Apple stews in a world of their own, compatibility means zip to them. So sounds about right.
I wouldn't be surprised if the wireless charging and future Bluetooth connections be only apple devices compatible.
Beauty of it is, that my daughters , would keep on buying apple regardless.
Why should apple change?

Apple did embrace (possibly more correctly endured) using USB-C on most of the iPads so perhaps they will finally come around.

My iPad mini 6 with USB-C works flawlessly with data to USB DACs and power and data to an ifI Go Bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back