Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 21, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #5,793 of 10,892
IMO, it's an absolutely killer combo. Huge soundstage, fantastic detail, and above all the ability to EQ virtually on the fly. With a 3 or 4 dB sub-bass boost, your head will rattle.
Also consider this.
On anything else, if you equalize up, specially the lower frequencies, you almost most definitely need to use preamp level reduction, to not cause digital overload.
That could mean, that you may not reach full power output on other DACs, even at max. volume (you would always be at preamp level).
On Mojo2, 12dB of digital overload headroom is already included!
So you can fully use the onboard tone controls, without worrying about anything.
Meaning, you can reach the max output at less than max. volume setting.

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #5,794 of 10,892
Didn’t enjoy the Mojo 2 with Edition XS, noticeable decrease in soundstage compared to the more budget Schiit stack, everything sounded a bit more synthetic too

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #5,795 of 10,892
What about edition xs?
I actually got to try the Chord Mojo 2 recently and in stock settings, I wasn't a fan of it's pairing with my Edition XS. The overall sound was a bit too analytical/cold for me, using the DSP to EQ helped a lot though. I remember when I had the OG Mojo I hated it's pairing with the HiFiMan Sundara too.

Both the Mojo 2 & Edition XS lean towards a brighter sound signature and I personally like a more relaxed sound signature being sensitive to higher frequencies so maybe thats why.

Like I said before, using DSP helps a lot but I did feel like my Edition XS was better paired and driven by my desktop setup (EF400) or iFi micro iDSD Signature.

On all of my IEMs and some headphones like Meze 99C, Sivga Robin.... Power was not an issue and I liked the sound signature of Mojo 2 with and without DSP. The DSP is really really impressive, I always had issues with EQ with other gear but Mojo 2's EQ sounds really nice.

Nov 22, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,797 of 10,892
Mojo 2 arrived this morning.

Connected to my Focal Radiance headphone and wacked up DSP BASE 20Hz to +7db.

Then played following YouTube Base track.

I started violently rocking my head to the Base Slam rhythm even so my headphones slipped off my head three times.

Didn’t realise my Wife was starring at me. She also started shaking her head, but at me in disapproval.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #5,798 of 10,892
Mojo 2 arrived this morning.

Connected to my Focal Radiance headphone and wacked up DSP BASE 20Hz to +7db.

Then played following YouTube Base track.

I started violently rocking my head to the Base Slam rhythm even so my headphones slipped off my head three times.

Didn’t realise my Wife was starring at me. She also started shaking her head, but at me in disapproval.

🤦‍♂️

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5,799 of 10,892
Interesting how the Edition XS and Mojo 2 has polarised opinions above, I have this combo and it's sensational for my tastes. But I do not have any expensive hifi gear and don't have any experience of highecel gear to compare against. What I don't know I can't miss I suppose.

I've boosted sub bass a bit and use the middle cross feed setting although it's hard to hear any difference with that .

All I can compare it to is the Qudelix and various Fiios', and it blows them away.

The manual is messy but the menu is a doddle and took a few minutes to get to know it although I had to search the internet to work out how to get it into high gain, manual seems to miss that.

With a Sony Xperia , the Mojo 2 and the Edition XS , I mean it's £1800 which I suppose is entry level audiophile of indeed it qualifies.

I can heartily recommend it . I prefer a brighter more clinical profile though so it does seem to suit me.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #5,800 of 10,892
Interesting how the Edition XS and Mojo 2 has polarised opinions above, I have this combo and it's sensational for my tastes. But I do not have any expensive hifi gear and don't have any experience of highecel gear to compare against. What I don't know I can't miss I suppose.

I've boosted sub bass a bit and use the middle cross feed setting although it's hard to hear any difference with that .

All I can compare it to is the Qudelix and various Fiios', and it blows them away.

The manual is messy but the menu is a doddle and took a few minutes to get to know it although I had to search the internet to work out how to get it into high gain, manual seems to miss that.

With a Sony Xperia , the Mojo 2 and the Edition XS , I mean it's £1800 which I suppose is entry level audiophile of indeed it qualifies.

I can heartily recommend it . I prefer a brighter more clinical profile though so it does seem to suit me.
Spend a few quids more and get the UAPP media player for Your Sony, or better still, get the Neutron media player.
Both natively discover and work with your Mojo2. for bit perfect or otherwise playback.
UAPP has better support for networks and has Qubuz plugin (if you are into that).
Otherwise , Neutron is the king (and complex). Once you learn it , nothing else will do.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #5,801 of 10,892
Spend a few quids more and get the UAPP media player for Your Sony, or better still, get the Neutron media player.
Both natively discover and work with your Mojo2. for bit perfect or otherwise playback.
UAPP has better support for networks and has Qubuz plugin (if you are into that).
Otherwise , Neutron is the king (and complex). Once you learn it , nothing else will do.
I tried it with a free Tidal subscription and as I couldn't hear anything better than Amazon Music I went with them a prime customer i got a discount

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #5,802 of 10,892
I tried it with a free Tidal subscription and as I couldn't hear anything better than Amazon Music I went with them a prime customer i got a discount
UAPP and Neutron are mediaplayers for playing local files.
If streaming music is all you need, you won't need either.

Nov 22, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #5,804 of 10,892
Yeah, that's not entry level.

Anyone compared or have both the Mojo 2 and HiBy RS2? I'll ask this in the RS2 thread too.

Right now, to my ears the Mojo 2 sounds better than Gryphon, BTR7 and RU6. It's been a while since I sold my micro iDSD Signature as it was getting cumbersome to carry around but I think Mojo 2 is slightly better than the Signature too, especially when using the DSP to tune the sound. This puts it in my best portable DAC under 1,000 USD list when purely considering sound quality. Functionality and features could have been better though, Gryphon for me takes the prize for that.

Against my EF400, technicalities like details, Imaging etc. are better but I prefer the musical nature of the R2R DAC and all that power really sounds great with HiFiMan planars. I'm hoping RS2 will give me that musical sound but I'm curious how it compares to the Mojo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back