Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Oct 9, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #5,581 of 10,801
Is there a noticable loss in sound quality when there is Android upsampling, compared to bit perfect ?

Maybe just get a Poly and skip one cable in the chain, from Android to Mojo 2 ?

Or get an old 2nd hand iPhone to stream music, if you want to cut out the up sample part of the Android system.

Plenty of old iPhones around at good volue.

Oct 10, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #5,582 of 10,801
Is there a noticable loss in sound quality when there is Android upsampling, compared to bit perfect ?
After following Rob Watts explanations I understand it as crucial to avoid upsampling digital data that is fed to his DACs.
Much of his research is about reconstructing the timing of the original signal more accurately than any other DAC. I believe I can hear that - there is an immediacy and cleanliness in the transients that I have not heard from other sources.
The explanation from Rob, if I remember correctly, is that upsampling before the DAC is not as accurate and the DAC then has to work with digital data that is actually worse than the original.

I have not done any comparison tests (and don't intend to) I just make sure to feed clean data to my Mojo 2 and Hugo 2 and enjoy the music!

PS: Not sure if there is a connection - but adding the Poly Streamer to the Mojo 2 and the 2Go streamer to Hugo 2 has clearly improved the sound quality.
It's just further proof IMO that the digital signal quality is an important factor in the overall performance of the system.

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #5,583 of 10,801
To my ears, yes. It is a completely different sound when Android upsamples. No amount of DSP can correct the change. I haven't used Spotify with the Mojo 2 yet, but FLAC files take on a completely different characteristic when changed by the smart phone. I've picked the wrong player a couple of times when using USB-C and instantly dislike what I'm hearing. In my experience the volume is louder, everything sounds compressed. The bass loses the wonderful definition and fluid personality Mojo 2 naturally has, and the treble is very sharp. If you ever wonder was Mojo 2 worth the money, it's a useful exercise to try.

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #5,584 of 10,801
I have two questions:

1. is there any audible sonic advantage running my IEM with a dual mono connection to Mojo 2 instead of simple single ended?

2. Is there any difference in SQ/tonality of Mojo2 usb input vs Coaxial input?

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #5,585 of 10,801
I have two questions:

1. is there any audible sonic advantage running my IEM with a dual mono connection to Mojo 2 instead of simple single ended?

2. Is there any difference in SQ/tonality of Mojo2 usb input vs Coaxial input?

1 No just No.
noooooo-no-memes.jpg

2. Coaxial up to DSD
USB, CD quality all the way into DSD.
Optical up to 192kHz 24bit.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #5,586 of 10,801
1 No just No.
noooooo-no-memes.jpg

2. Think coaxial is capped at 192kHz 24bit.
USB, CD quality all the way into DSD.
haha ok on the first one

btw on the second one, chord website stated that both usb and coax can do 768k pcm, while optic is limited to 96kHz

EDITED: adding new question.
Does Mojo 2 has a true line out? In this scenario I am connecting Mojo 2 as a DAC to KSE 1200 energizer, avoiding double amping

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #5,587 of 10,801
haha ok on the first one

btw on the second one, chord website stated that both usb and coax can do 768k pcm, while optic is limited to 96kHz

EDITED: adding new question.
Does Mojo 2 has a true line out? In this scenario I am connecting Mojo 2 as a DAC to KSE 1200 energizer, avoiding double amping
Oops my bad, its Optical, indeed limited to 192kHz 24bit.

3rd question is way out of my ballpark.

KSE1200 is an electrostatic IEM that's only going to work with its own unique energizer and should not be messed around with.

Think there is no way, to truly shut off the amp portion of the DAC.

Often wondered, while at work, to conserve battery, after six hours use time, to set the mojo into, DAC only mode, and have the iOS passthrough, power to Mojo and Headphones, while listening to some podcast or audiobook at .mp3 sound quality level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back