Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #4,906 of 10,897
I agree that it's too good of a device to be sent back. The white noise issue is typical but it has nothing to do with the cables.
yes, from the correspondence with support, I concluded that this is a source problem, in my case it is Mac Studio

support response:
"if the loss of sync includes sending more than one sample rate- something that affects OSX- the device will try and decode it in the first instance. There is not an established way of preventing a USB controller from doing this."

but the fact is that I also have cayin ru6, which also sometimes has this problem, but unlike mojo, it does not start yelling at full volume, but instead of playing the audio stream, it starts to click softly

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4,907 of 10,897
Have you had a chance to compare Apple Music Lossless with the DDHIFI cable? You could be right that it is effected by streaming, but I never find there's a problem with streaming when using camera adapter?
I have never streamed Apple Music as I use QoBus the majority of the time. I do have an extensive, historic, iTunes library on my devices that I updated to AAC lossless with an Apple Music subscription, but I only use that when I am on planes or on expensive roaming tariffs not while streaming. My comments on quality were to the perceived quality of the sound using the various apps.

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #4,908 of 10,897
I agree that it's too good of a device to be sent back. The white noise issue is typical but it has nothing to do with the cables.
Exactly! The white noise has nothing to do with cables. When I first bought the Mojo 2 a few months ago, I had the white noise occurring on 2 different occasions, my posts are here together with the response from Chord support. I have been always using the stock cable that came with the Mojo 2. If that is not an appropriate cable, why is then Chord providing it? Because it does not have to do with the cable. It has to do with the USB connection the Mojo 2 is using. I was connecting it on my Windows 11 Pro laptop which functions perfectly! What is the problem then? It is the Mojo 2 USB implementation. I am not technically savvy to explain it, so simply put: when losing it, it should go silent and not shout.

And, if other measures are required, like using Optical or certain settings on Windows, like muting Windows Sounds or using WASAPI exclusive etc, there should be some tutorial/recommendations on the website. How to set up, to avoid the white noise.

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #4,909 of 10,897
Exactly! The white noise has nothing to do with cables. When I first bought the Mojo 2 a few months ago, I had the white noise occurring on 2 different occasions, my posts are here together with the response from Chord support. I have been always using the stock cable that came with the Mojo 2. If that is not an appropriate cable, why is then Chord providing it? Because it does not have to do with the cable. It has to do with the USB connection the Mojo 2 is using. I was connecting it on my Windows 11 Pro laptop which functions perfectly! What is the problem then? It is the Mojo 2 USB implementation. I am not technically savvy to explain it, so simply put: when losing it, it should go silent and not shout.

And, if other measures are required, like using Optical or certain settings on Windows, like muting Windows Sounds or using WASAPI exclusive etc, there should be some tutorial/recommendations on the website. How to set up, to avoid the white noise.
In your case and experience, the white noise was probably not due to cables, however, others, me included, have had the cable issue.
It is either this or that, but it is there nevertheless, whatever triggers it.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #4,910 of 10,897
I suspect it also a cable issue as I never had the white noise issue with the Chord Poly + Mojo 1. And I use super sensitive IEM's like the Campfire Andromeda.

When i had the Mojo 2 for the weekend, luckly I was only testing it with the AFC 2 Noire and with the Poly. Else Chord might have made me deaf.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #4,912 of 10,897
This LOWN (loud white noise) issue is really bothering me and I'm reluctant to do any headphone listening because of it. Rather hard to relax into music with a persistant fear of headphones going bang at any random moment. I would sure like a definitive solution to this from Chord ( @Rob Watts ).
I feel like it's more beneficial for people to complain to Chord directly (email Chord support). Rob designs the DAC part. If this is a system problem, that's Chord's deal. Don't like to see people jump on Rob when there's a problem. He isn't even employed by Chord; he's a consultant for them.

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #4,913 of 10,897
I wonder if anyone can clarify the sampling limit of the Mojo 2’s optical input? I used to have the original Mojo and the manual for that (still on their website) stated 44 to 192kHz. The manual for my Mojo 2 does not include that specification although the Chord website says ‘96kHz optical input’ in its description of the DAC’s features. When I feed the M2 with a 192kHz optical signal it displays as if it were 192 (blue in colour) but am not sure if this is then being processed as such or instead being downsampled in some way.

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #4,914 of 10,897
does mojo even resample the data (I thought only mscaler does)? In any case any resampling would occur in the FPGA and not be limited only to toslink input.

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #4,915 of 10,897
I feel like it's more beneficial for people to complain to Chord directly (email Chord support). Rob designs the DAC part. If this is a system problem, that's Chord's deal. Don't like to see people jump on Rob when there's a problem. He isn't even employed by Chord; he's a consultant for them.
My understandig is that Rob designed the whole thing, thats why I tagged him. Might have come across as complaing, but really, probably like others who are experiencing this, I would just like a definite answer (preferably from the designer) on what is causing this and weather there is a solution. Than I think people can make an informed decision if and how they want to act on it.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #4,916 of 10,897
My understandig is that Rob designed the whole thing, thats why I tagged him. Might have come across as complaing, but really, probably like others who are experiencing this, I would just like a definite answer (preferably from the designer) on what is causing this and weather there is a solution. Than I think people can make an informed decision if and how they want to act on it.
Nothing wrong with complaining if it's justified (which in this case it is). Didn't mean it as a negative thing. Only meant that it's more likely Chord does something about it if their support channel gets flooded with the same compliants.

If you search the thread, there was an answer as to why it's happening. Chord said it occurs when there's conflict in sampling rate. Unfortunately, they haven't spoke about a solution, and even worse, I don't think they said they working on a solution. It's wrong to ignore it, and I think people should both complain to Chord support and return it/refuse to buy until it's addressed.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #4,917 of 10,897
another batch of correspondence with support:

I:
"I agree that the problem is in Macs on m1 pro and m1 max processors (I tested both with Mac Studio on m1 max and with a macbook on m1 pro), but my main claim is precisely that mojo turns into maximum sound mode. I also have a Cayin RU6 that also has this problem, but when this problem occurs, it starts to intermittently click at the same volume it was playing before the crash, so this does not create problems when listening to highly sensitive in-ear headphones. In mojo, this is a problem, it is not safe - you can lose your hearing!"

Support:
"To clarify, it doesn’t turn up to full volume. It’s playing at the set volume, however what is being played possesses no dynamic so it’s the loudest signal possible at that volume setting. we also suspect that Cayin stops because it doesn't support the sample rate of the noise (it usually jumps to 768kHz). We have an M1 Mac and we are looking to see if anything can be done. Care has to be taken because, if Apple subsequently issues a fix, it risks an incompatibility issue. "

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #4,918 of 10,897
joshnor713 said:

If you search the thread, there was an answer as to why it's happening. Chord said it occurs when there's conflict in sampling rate. Unfortunately, they haven't spoke about a solution, and even worse, I don't think they said they working on a solution. It's wrong to ignore it, and I think people should both complain to Chord support and return it/refuse to buy until it's addressed.

Which is why I'm returning mine tomorrow and then contacting Chord support concerning the matter. Nearly £500 for a DAC which can potentially harm your ears is simply not acceptable regardless of how good it sounds.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #4,919 of 10,897

I:
"I agree that the problem is in Macs on m1 pro and m1 max processors (I tested both with Mac Studio on m1 max and with a macbook on m1 pro), but my main claim is precisely that mojo turns into maximum sound mode. I also have a Cayin RU6 that also has this problem, but when this problem occurs, it starts to intermittently click at the same volume it was playing before the crash, so this does not create problems when listening to highly sensitive in-ear headphones. In mojo, this is a problem, it is not safe - you can lose your hearing!"

Support:
"To clarify, it doesn’t turn up to full volume. It’s playing at the set volume, however what is being played possesses no dynamic so it’s the loudest signal possible at that volume setting."

This makes perfect sense and ties in with my experience. Although the noise sounds loud and it can be startling, it certainly wasn't any louder than the peaks in the program material and using Quad ERA-1, nowhere near loud enough to cause hearing damage.

Personally, I'd persevere with the Mojo 2. I only sent mine back because the sound quality was not as good in some respects as I was looking for. I enjoyed the overall feel and musicality of it though, so I tried and kept a Hugo 2 instead.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,920 of 10,897

I:

Support:
"To clarify, it doesn’t turn up to full volume. It’s playing at the set volume, however what is being played possesses no dynamic so it’s the loudest signal possible at that volume setting. we also suspect that Cayin stops because it doesn't support the sample rate of the noise (it usually jumps to 768kHz). We have an M1 Mac and we are looking to see if anything can be done. Care has to be taken because, if Apple subsequently issues a fix, it risks an incompatibility issue. "
I know for a while my M1 Pro MacBook was having issues with sample rate popping sounds just in the built in speakers. Deleting the audio pref plist files helped solve it. It's possible it'll help with the Mojo as well. I know when I first tried using the Mojo2 I was getting white noise but that stopped after switching to a different cable. I can also confirm that the white noise I was getting was by no means deafening, but I also tend to listen to things at low volumes anyways do to needing my ears for my career, which would point towards their first point actually being correct, even if it isn't entirely helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back