Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #42,362 of 42,765
Heya everyone,

I have Dynaudio mc15 active speakers connected to my Mojo (3.5mm > to stereo phono). There's no volume control on the speakers. The speakers are very loud in my room so I have the speakers set to -10db via a switch at the back, this is the lowest volume they will go. Other than that I usually rely on the Mojo / my windows pc to change the volume.

I've read somewhere in this thread that the mojo when connected to active speakers (depending on their max input spec) should be set to to line level mode 3v or 4 clicks down 1.9v, . The issue i'm facing is, the speaker amp on my Dynaudio mc15 will hiss quite loudly at both these levels (i sit nearfield in a well treated room) whenever there is even a tiny amount of sound coming out the speaker, say 1% volume (software controlled via windows), the amp will activate and the speakers hiss. This is annoying when listening to low volume content at night - even a windows sound notification at 1% windows volume will cause the speakers to hiss loudly for a few seconds.

Interestingly instead of the Mojos 3v/1.9v feeding my speakers, If I use the volume knob on my mojo to set the volume much lower, not line level, (like you would with a pair of headphones) the hiss is no longer audible, it only becomes audible when the chord mojo volume is set high.

My question is this, which is a cleaner output?

1) Mojo set to 3v or 1.9v> connected to a passive preamp with volume control (such as Fostex PC-1eb/Schit Sys > active speakers. Windows 10 volume set to 100%, volume controlled via the preamp.

2) Mojo > connected directly to active speakers, Mojo controls the volume. Windows 10 volume set to 100%.

3) Both identical?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #42,363 of 42,765
Heya everyone,

I have Dynaudio mc15 active speakers connected to my Mojo (3.5mm > to stereo phono). There's no volume control on the speakers. The speakers are very loud in my room so I have the speakers set to -10db via a switch at the back, this is the lowest volume they will go. Other than that I usually rely on the Mojo / my windows pc to change the volume.
Rely on Mojo volume controls, set windows to max. you get bit perfect that way , also make sure you are using Mojo in Wasapi or Asio mode .
I've read somewhere in this thread that the mojo when connected to active speakers (depending on their max input spec) should be set to to line level mode 3v or 4 clicks down 1.9v, .
Ignore all that, use Mojo volume control
The issue i'm facing is, the speaker amp on my Dynaudio mc15 will hiss quite loudly at both these levels (i sit nearfield in a well treated room) whenever there is even a tiny amount of sound coming out the speaker, say 1% volume (software controlled via windows), the amp will activate and the speakers hiss. This is annoying when listening to low volume content at night - even a windows sound notification at 1% windows volume will cause the speakers to hiss loudly for a few seconds.
Use a quality standard usb cable direct to PC, if it had ferrite core on it , so much the better, don't forget about Wasapi or Asio .
Interestingly instead of the Mojos 3v/1.9v feeding my speakers, If I use the volume knob on my mojo to set the volume much lower, not line level, (like you would with a pair of headphones) the hiss is no longer audible, it only becomes audible when the chord mojo volume is set high.
Man goes to doctor says, I get a pain when I drink like this! doctor said don't drink like that!
My question is this, which is a cleaner output?

1) Mojo set to 3v or 1.9v> connected to a passive preamp with volume control (such as Fostex PC-1eb/Schit Sys > active speakers. Windows 10 volume set to 100%, volume controlled via the preamp.

2) Mojo > connected directly to active speakers, Mojo controls the volume. Windows 10 volume set to 100%.
Number two , This one.
3) Both identical?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #42,364 of 42,765
Mojo's line-out mode is IMHO very badly implemented. I use WASAPI direct access with volume control in foobar2000, ca. 90% volume on Mojo, and ca. 40-50% volume on speakers. That's the best setup for me (of course, I tried different setups too).

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #42,366 of 42,765
Hi all, I would like to share how I upgrade the Chord Mojo to have Bluetooth Receiver and USB C Connector.

As suggested by the previous post, I use XDuoo 05BL Pro and create a 3D printed casing for the PCB and Batteries. The result is something similar to Chord Poly, but smaller. After the upgrade:
- Bluetooth receiver up to LDAC, auto quality is very similar with direct DAC
- Media control button
- USB C Charging port for both XDuoo and Mojo
- USB C DAC port for Mojo

The CAD file for the casing and the step by step is also being shared under this blogpost link. Please do give your comment or suggestion for this project.

image-8-800x377.png

image-11-800x544.png

image-12-800x524.png

20220317_003708-800x600.jpg

image-13-800x497.png

image-15-800x581.png
It's similar project that I wanted to do when I owned Mojo1.
Not having 3d printer stopped me, but In the future I'm pretty sure I'll own 3d printer and finally would be able to make such thing.
Alas I wanted to use Google Chromecast toslink out to Mojo.

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #42,367 of 42,765
Apr 6, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #42,368 of 42,765
Would it be possible to use Src Dx via 1 Bnc to the mojo - via the same dual rca adapter, that can be used to connect mscaler to mojo ?

Basically using the Bnc to coax adapter…

Answer is yes

Attachments

• 76BF120A-3E46-4AF8-BB02-A2A4D887CC3C.jpeg
    76BF120A-3E46-4AF8-BB02-A2A4D887CC3C.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #42,369 of 42,765
I have an XDuoo XD-05 BAL with Burson V5i op-amps, which I have been very happy with, powering my Sundara.

I had an issue with it though and unfortunately had to send it back to China for service. And with the total lockdowns in Shanghai, not sure when I'll get it back, so I pulled the trigger on a used Mojo today. $175 so it was really hard to refuse.

I've always wanted to try a Chord product, so I'm excited to get it.

Now to wade through a few hundred pages of this thread to see what I'm in for.

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #42,371 of 42,765
I have an XDuoo XD-05 BAL with Burson V5i op-amps, which I have been very happy with, powering my Sundara.

I had an issue with it though and unfortunately had to send it back to China for service. And with the total lockdowns in Shanghai, not sure when I'll get it back, so I pulled the trigger on a used Mojo today. $175 so it was really hard to refuse.

I've always wanted to try a Chord product, so I'm excited to get it.

Now to wade through a few hundred pages of this thread to see what I'm in for.
Wow where did you find one for $175 ? They usually go for $300 ish

Apr 11, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #42,373 of 42,765
Wow where did you find one for $175 ? They usually go for $300 ish
I'm in Japan, so factoring current exchange rate for Yen.

They usually go for around 30,000 Yen which is about $240, but I paid 22,000.

I bought it on Mercari. Sometimes sellers want to get rid of stuff quickly so you can get great deals.

Last week, an Arya 2 in good condition went for 77,000 or $615!

Arrives today.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #42,375 of 42,765
battery life seems a lot better when you use the coax. I've had it on since 9:30am, its now 6pm, normally it doesn't last that long and its not even flashing red, just red.
So i'm hypothosising, coax is a more efficient input for the mojo, and maybe thats why i'm saying it sounds better... because it can be more easily handled byu the mojo.
who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back