Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 31, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #42,242 of 42,765
Introducing the next generation of portable hi-fi.

Mojo 2 introduces the world’s first lossless DSP technology, a new menu system and USB-C connectivity. Powered by improved battery tech with smart charging, the original pocketable DAC is now better than ever. Go wireless with Poly, too.

Watch here:
Discover Mojo 2: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo-2
Mojo2 - Thumbnail.jpg

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #42,248 of 42,765
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #42,249 of 42,765
Mojo 2 User Instructions

Unboxing Video

First Chord Mojo 2 review

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #42,254 of 42,765
I understand those concerns to - after all the data is the same. But there are solid scientific reasons why they can make a difference.

In the 1980's, people started talking about mains cables making a difference to the sound quality - and I didn't believe it either - particularly as my pre-amp had 300 dB of PSU rejection in the power supply. But I did a listening test, and yes I could hear a difference. Frankly I still could not believe the evidence of my own ears, so did a blind listening test with my girl friend. She reported exactly the same observation - mains cables did make a difference to SQ.

To cut a long story short, I proved the problem was down to RF noise. RF noise inter-modulates with the wanted audio signal within the analogue electronics, and if the RF noise is random, then the distortion is random too and you get a increase in noise floor with signal. This increase in noise floor is noise floor modulation, and the brain is very sensitive to it; you can perceive tiny amounts of noise floor modulation as a brightening or hardening of the sound. By tiny I mean the noise floor modulation needs to be well below -200 dB, so the brain is very sensitive to it. With the right test equipment, you (APX5555 is only test equipment that has no innate noise floor modulation) can easily measure the effect.

The RF characteristics of the cable can change the RF noise that gets injected into Mojo's ground plane, and this is the mechanism for changes in smoothness. You may say why can't you make it insensitive to it; well I go to silly lengths to RF filter and decouple, and use dual solid ground planes on the PCB, but you can't remove the problem. For Dave, Hugo TT and 2 Qute I have galvanic isolation, and this eliminates the problem (along with other SQ problems such as sound-stage depth). But I can't do this with portable devices, as it draws power from the 'phone. That said it's less of an issue with portable electronics as they are less power hungry and create less noise.

So what are the best USB cables? Firstly, be careful. A lot of audiophile USB cables actually increase RF noise and make it sound brighter, and superficially impressive - but this is just distortion brightening things up. Go for USB cables that have ferrites in the cable is a good idea - it may also solve any RF issues from the mobile that you may have too.

Rob
Wished I had heeded this advice earlier when I had first read it nearly two years ago. Had been using just some random crap usb cable that I had laying around the house, but I recently switched to one with a ferrite inline and wow. It's a subtle but significant difference!

Feb 5, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #42,255 of 42,765
I’m on the Mojo train now — only just fell in love with the original. Purchased secondhand for a nice price. It’s lovely with my Focal Clears and Dunu SA6’s.

The battery is, unfortunately, not in ideal condition. The unit itself is in beautiful cosmetic condition but the battery reserve only approximates about 50% or less of the original spec of ~8 hours.

I ran into an issue last night which I am attempting to rectify as per recommendations in this thread. I was playing from my iPad Pro to the Mojo, using the CCK and playing 24/96 via Qobuz. The CCK was connected to power via a high quality USB-to-lightning adaptor, drawing from my quality surge protector‘s USB jack. I’m then using the split USB-to-2x-microUSB provided in Chord’s M9 accesory kit. After a few seconds of playback, the song would pause — I looked at the Qobuz screen and noticed that the output device would toggle between the iPad’s onboard sound and the Mojo. The indicator light on the power bubble would go off, but the volume bubbles remained on. This suggests to me that something is telling the iPad that the mojo is not open for business.

Strangely enough, this was not an issue that I encountered with simultaneous charge/play via my MacBook Pro. Perhaps the battery was closer to a full charge when I listened with the MBP.

A post somewhere (many replies) above suggests that this would happen when the Mojo is not at full charge. Given the battery’s condition (whether worn normally from years of use, or malfunctioning), I am not confident that it will rectify the issue. I’ll report back after a second attempt following the Mojo having sat on the charger for 10 hours, so as to ensure it’s been maximally charged to its available capacity.

In any case, I love this thing. I can’t presently afford to upgrade to a Mojo 2; though this is good for me, as although they’re new and exciting, I don’t have the need. So I will be looking into options to have Mojo look at the battery itself, replacing if necessary — hopefully this is a possible outcome of reaching out to customer service? — or finding the right battery and implementing the replacement myself. Having read through much of the information posted in this thread, especially the first couple of posts for the ‘official word’, I’m really happy to be a Chord customer, albeit only by virtue of the secondary, used market for the time being. It seems like this company is doing wonderful things and I am ecstatic and proud to be enjoying music at this quality of sound for such an affordable price.

thoughts, tips, advice welcome. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back