Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #41,566 of 42,773
It seems you are serious.
I shall try to come up with some answers, I will test it as far as I can and report back.
dakanao said:
Yeah if it isn’t the ohm, it’s something else. I just know it’s there, subtle but for me enough to always choose the right port. A/B’ed many times on tracks I’ve heard hundreds of times with different headphones, I can pick it out.

OK, I promised to report back, here it is:

- the two plugs are wired in parallel, meaning they both get their signal from the same devices. I left the possibility open that they might have separate output devices, but they don't.
- to my surprise, there was a slight impedance mismatch of about 0.1/0.2R between some joints (difficult to measure), it wasn't a left/right thing at all, it was probably a half dry solder joint. a tiny cleanup and a spot of silver rich solder cured it (I resolder them). once I finished, I couldn't measure any discrepancy.
- There is also a relay there that senses a jack being plugged in, I resolder that too.
Frankly, before all of that, I could not hear any differences between right and left plugs. I have Sennheiser IE 400 Pros with a low impedance (almost pure resistance) of about 15R. discrepancies in the output jack/socket resistances have more of an effect on lower impedance headphones which mine is.
To put it simply, I could not find any electrical or audible differences between sockets (nor did I expect any).
Mojo is well made, I doubt CHORD or Mr. Watts would have left such an issue unattended.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #41,567 of 42,773
I still think Roon is a better front end. The search flexibility is so much better. The Focus feature is pretty cool to hone down your listening choices. If you don't those features or the Roon radio at all, then I can see how using the Tidal app would be better. I can't VPN stream HiRes even though I have more than enough bandwidth. I have everything resampled 16/44. I'm not critically listening when I'm away from home, nor do I think my ears can hear a huge difference between CD and HiRes qualities.
A VPN over standard internet connection has high latency.
Perhaps you could set your player software to use a large buffer for all music.
It could resolve your issue.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #41,568 of 42,773
A VPN over standard internet connection has high latency.
Perhaps you could set your player software to use a large buffer for all music.
It could resolve your issue.
IIRC Roon can’t do this, but I’ll re-investigate. Thanks.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #41,570 of 42,773
The Fiio L19 was a great cable from a iPhone.
However Apple stopped it working some time ago with an update

Sorry to hear that.

If I could, I'd update the FAQ on the first page of this thread, to reflect compatibility changes such as those you mention, but unfortunately, I no longer have access.

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #41,572 of 42,773
Can someone post a link to what I need to hook my iPhone 12 Pro to my 3 years old unused mojo?

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #41,573 of 42,773
What happened to your account?

Having spent a few months away (which has now become a couple of years or more), I realised I'd forgotten my password, and good luck to anyone who tries to get an answer from site admin - it's like the Mary Celeste. I no longer have the e-mail account associated with the original Head-Fi account, so without a humanbeing admin to communicate with, it's impossible to reset the password. Not the end of the world (I'm not particularly 'into' head-fi audio gear at this point in my life), but it is absurd that a site with as much traffic as Head-Fi has such appalling site support (I'm not referring to everyday forum admins, I'm referring to the deeper level of site admin, passwords, etc.)

Anyway, it's nice to see the thread and the product still very much alive & kicking, and a few familiar members still contributing. I hope you are all well - both those of you who are familiar, and those who have joined during my absence.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 26, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #41,575 of 42,773
With Mojo I would honestly be happy with the following.

Original Mojo was said to have 38,000 taps at half speed. ... Mojo 2 would be good with just a small bump up to 60,000 at half speed, and more battery life 10+ hours. Update so it does not cut off first half second of music; instead waits for hardware sync before playing. A slightly more neutral signature, like the Hugo 2. .... It would still be the best portable DAC out there besides the Hugo 2 which is only really transportable.

That would do for me. However it would be very cool to see a Mojo based DAP, even based on the previous Mojo. (Without wifi and other non-physical connections, to avoid another Poly situation.) Nothing wrong with how original Mojo sounds at all.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #41,576 of 42,773

That would do for me. However it would be very cool to see a Mojo based DAP, even based on the previous Mojo. (Without wifi and other non-physical connections, to avoid another Poly situation.) Nothing wrong with how original Mojo sounds at all.

Sorry if im not up to speed, but would wifi not be a basic and necessary feature for a Mojo based DAP? "To avoid another Poly situation"? Not sure what you are talking about here, the Poly has recently been discussed and it seems like forum members are very happy with it and believe it is well worth the money Chord is charging for it, more than a Mojo. What is this situation that you speak of and why would it prevent a Mojo based DAP from having wifi?

I have had a Mojo and in my humble opinion while there is nothing wrong with the way it sounds it could sound a whole lot better, given current advances in technology. The Mojo is ancient in the grand scheme of things.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #41,577 of 42,773
Sorry if im not up to speed, but would wifi not be a basic and necessary feature for a Mojo based DAP? "To avoid another Poly situation"? Not sure what you are talking about here, the Poly has recently been discussed and it seems like forum members are very happy with it and believe it is well worth the money Chord is charging for it, more than a Mojo. What is this situation that you speak of and why would it prevent a Mojo based DAP from having wifi?

I have had a Mojo and in my humble opinion while there is nothing wrong with the way it sounds it could sound a whole lot better, given current advances in technology. The Mojo is ancient in the grand scheme of things.

But again, to be clear, you believe "it's ancient" and has been "left in the dust" because it's not a DAP with a screen and running Android. Correct?

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #41,578 of 42,773

Original Mojo was said to have 38,000 taps at half speed. ... Mojo 2 would be good with just a small bump up to 60,000 at half speed, and more battery life 10+ hours. Update so it does not cut off first half second of music; instead waits for hardware sync before playing. A slightly more neutral signature, like the Hugo 2. .... It would still be the best portable DAC out there besides the Hugo 2 which is only really transportable.

An interesting idea. A Chord DAP that will work similar to Sony Walkman or iBasso DX120. It would solve a few minor problems I have with the Mojo like

1. No more stacking devices. Just connect headphones and start playing
2. No more worrying about finding the right cable or micro usb port durability (mine sometimes disconnects when some pressure is applied from the sides)
3. On rare occasions there's noise when using USB input (EMI? RFI?)
3. Since a DAP does not have to be as small as Mojo. An increase in size, which will add some room inside for bigger battery or more components for better performance...
4. Maybe even include the Poly functionality inside the DAP

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #41,579 of 42,773
It would be easy to make any future Mojo version to have DAP facility.
I personally just add a micro-SD card reader and Bluetooth .
The BT can act traditionaly and allow wireless playback from a phone,
it could also be used to simply control the onboard DAP. like a remote control!
so Mojo will play from onboard memory card, while the phone is used to remote control the functions.
I certainly hope Mojo remain a mobile device, rather than other bits and bats added to it (thus making it bulkier and more expensive ) , for possible desktop use.
Using the phone, eliminates the need for Mojo to have a screen, also the phone (or tablet)can connect to online streaming services.
Am I part describing a Poly?
Are we basically saying , give us a poly , built-in, for free? I wonder . . .

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #41,580 of 42,773
An interesting idea. A Chord DAP that will work similar to Sony Walkman or iBasso DX120. It would solve a few minor problems I have with the Mojo like

1. No more stacking devices. Just connect headphones and start playing
2. No more worrying about finding the right cable or micro usb port durability (mine sometimes disconnects when some pressure is applied from the sides)
3. On rare occasions there's noise when using USB input (EMI? RFI?)
3. Since a DAP does not have to be as small as Mojo. An increase in size, which will add some room inside for bigger battery or more components for better performance...
4. Maybe even include the Poly functionality inside the DAP

I see the thread hasn't changed since 2-3 years ago! :smirk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back